Thread: Amsoil

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone try it and have any opinions? Someone is offering it to me for $81 a case, which is 4 gallons of 5W-30 oil. This guy swears by Amsoil. I tried Mobil 1 from Costco and like it. I think the Amsoil is a little more, but don`t know if it`s worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just stick with Mobil 1. It`s easily available, cheaper, just as good, and you don`t have to deal with idiot distributors.

Guess where Amsoil buys their basestock from? Exxon Mobil. Go Figure.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    napa auto sells it by me, and they carry the series 2000 oil, which is good for one year, or 35K miles. They also sell it cheaper than online. i read all the independant tests on it and plan on trying the 0W30 series 2000 stuff to see how my gas mileage does. right now i vary between 25-27 lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    I snowplow with my Dodge Ram 2500. Dodges weak link is the transmission.

Before each season I change the filter and adjust the bands.

I also switched to Amsoil and when I`m done plowing, I can put my hand on the transmission pan and its just warm. HEAT is the number one enemy of transmissions.

I swear by Amsoil! The temp dropped 30-50 degrees.

I have never tried the engine oil though. I would use Mobile 1 if I were to switch to a synthetic though.
    2018 Ram Big Horn CTD
    2009 Lexus IS250
    1999 ChampioN 181 Bassboat
    1968 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4spd

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put some of the severe service 25k interval stuff in a 99 civic ex this week. It says 1 year or 25k, in this case it will be 1 year with maybe a filter change at 6 months. It is really good stuff. I paid 5.99 a quart, and where I live mobil 1 is about ~4. In the case of the civic it wasn`t too bad because it was only 4 quarts CHeck out bob is the oil guy forums. But to answer your question get the amsoil, it is great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    i think amsoil is definately better ive tried mobil1, royal purple and amsoil and i like the amsoil the best. Im running 0w-30 i was previously running the mobil 1 5w-30 but the engine has been running good for 6 months since ive added the amsoil in.

You have to know a lot about oil to realize the difference, its all about viscosity and breakdown and such. the guy i bought irt from told me all about that but i just tried it anyway. if you try it youll be pleased/

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ben54

Anyone try it and have any opinions? Someone is offering it to me for $81 a case, which is 4 gallons of 5W-30 oil. This guy swears by Amsoil. I tried Mobil 1 from Costco and like it. I think the Amsoil is a little more, but don`t know if it`s worth it.

That works out to about 5$ per quart. Mobil 1 can be had cheaper than that pretty much anywhere. Unless you are doing extended drain intervals with Amsoil you really aren`t going to see any difference.

Just keep in mind that the oil debates are full of emotion just as the wax debates are here. If you really want to see how the oil is performing in your motor start doing used engine oil analysis. It will really give you an idea of how your oil is holding up over time as well as allowing you to track the wear in your motor. I typically use http://www.blackstone-labs.com. I would definitely do regular used engine oil analysis if you are doing drain intervals longer than what the manufacturer of your car specifies. Don`t just take the numbers on the label of that bottle of oil as gospel.

I too would suggest a visit to the forums at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Car and Truck Gas Engine Oil forum

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn`t have said it better. People get personal when it comes to their motor oils

But as mentioned, AMSOIL is a waste of money if you aren`t doing extended drains. That goes for mobil 1 too.

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to synthetic oil it simply depends on who`s propaganda you want to believe. All will serve you well and they all have one test or another that proves their`s is better. Which oil is best threads tend to turn into a holy war.

Personally, I drink the Amsoil Kool Aid. My Toyota V6s are historically tough on motor oil and I change it every 5K regardless. Yes, I could test it, but it almost as much to test it as change it, so I sleep better at night. If you go the Amsoil route, become a Preferred customer ($10 for 6 months, $20 for a year as I recall). That gives you dealer cost and the online questions seem to get answered better.

Oneness of horse & rider Jinba ittai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use Amsoil`s Severe Gear/Series 2000 75w-90 in the tranny and diff of my Miata. Seems to work nicely and the car shifts great.

The Miata didn`t like the Series 2000 0w-30 engine oil and since Mobil 1 is cheaper and easier to get I just use Mobil 1 10w-30 engine oil.

I swore by the Series 2000 20w-50 Racing oil in my Mustang. It was a track car though so things were a bit different. Did noticeably lower the temperature of the oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Amsoil V-Twin 20W50 in the old BMW cycle and couldn`t be happier, BUT Mobil 1 in the car and truck..for now. Follow the link to Bobistheoilguy..... that`s the best advice you got so far.

To answer your question `IS AMSOIL WORTH IT`? Yes, it`s very good oil, but make sure it`s what you want and need in an oil before you jump in for $81.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though not all oil are created equal, but as long as you stick with a good brand, you`ll be safe. Personally, I use Mobil1. Hopefully their new stuff is as good as the old one.

I would have went and tried Amsoil if only they can be bought in local stores.

Post Thanks / Like
    Amsoil is excellent, But so is Redline and Royal Purple.

I personally use Royal Purple with a K&N filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to whore someone else`s thread but since we`re talkin` about high end synthetic oil I figured I`d ask if anyone has tried SWEPCO? I`ve heard many of the same claims for SWEPCO that I`ve heard for AMSOIL.

http://www.swepcousa.com/lubesite/highperf.htm
    www.stlmustangs.com <--- Moderator

Thread Information