Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ever seen these anywhere but at WalMart?

Post Thanks / Like
    Advance or PepBoys used to have them I can not recall which one, however I have been going to Walmart for them for a while now. How can you beat 5 quarts of Mobil1 for $19?
    Seeking Donations: Recently Diagnosed With Terminal Senioritis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure you can, Costco = 6 quarts for 23.33.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to drop by the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com. Mobil1 just revamped their entire line and added the new Extended Performance line. There is quite the controversy brewing in the forums about Mobil1 regarding the possibility that standard Mobil1 has been downgraded and the new Extended Performance Mobil1 is basically a slightly upgraded version of the old Mobil1.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=1;t=009707

It will be very interesting to see how this works out after a few more people start getting used engine oil analysis on the new oils.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rjstaaf

There is quite the controversy going on about Mobil1 regarding the possibility that standard Mobil1 has been downgraded and the new Extended Performance Mobil1 is basically a slightly upgraded version of the old Mobil1.

Hmmm....I`ll look into that. On the one hand...that might be one response to the unfavorable (to Mobil 1) gov`t ruling about what constitutes "synthetic" oil; on the other hand, Mobil still states that the regular Mobil 1 meets the Corvette synthetic spec...although looking that up I see the Syntec does too...

And, darn it...they had the Extended Performance at WalMart and I forgot to look what the price was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob: Is this just regular Mobil 1 or is their Super Synthetic line as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean,

Mobil 1 is the Super Synthetic Line and yes this is what I am talking about.

This is something we will likely see more of. The API has adopted the new GF-4 standard which in a nutshell is going to force some oil manufacturers to reduce additives if they want to display the API mark. This is basically along the same lines as the VOC regulations which are affecting the products we all use.

http://api-ec.api.org/about/index.cf...2003002000000#

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes!

Well I have to ask you then...What are you going to do? Are you using Mobil 1? What do you plan on switching to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Hmmm....I`ll look into that. On the one hand...that might be one response to the unfavorable (to Mobil 1) gov`t ruling about what constitutes "synthetic" oil; on the other hand, Mobil still states that the regular Mobil 1 meets the Corvette synthetic spec...although looking that up I see the Syntec does too...

And, darn it...they had the Extended Performance at WalMart and I forgot to look what the price was.

I don`t think anyone is saying the Mobil1 is bad or to stay away from it but, if the initial somewhat limited results that are out are any indicator, the additives have definitely been reduced in the standard Mobil1. I will probably be moving to the Extended Performance Mobil1 or possibly even Mobil 1R which is their racing oil. There are several guys over at the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com running Mobil 1R and it is showing very favorable wear results from used oil analysis. I was considering switching even before I heard this so this news was not a factor for me.

Mobil 1R Racing Oil

Post Thanks / Like
    I really doubt that Mobil would downgrade the quality of their supersyn and go all out with the extended life line. There are too many manufacturers that use Mobil1 synthetic as their OEM oil, I can not see them possibly jepordizing all of those lucrative contracts in order to promote a new line of oil, that would be really stupid business.

However, if by some one in a million shot these rumors are true there always is Syntec, Royal Purple, and Redline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MS22

I really doubt that Mobil would downgrade the quality of their supersyn and go all out with the extended life line. There are too many manufacturers that use Mobil1 synthetic as their OEM oil, I can not see them possibly jepordizing all of those lucrative contracts in order to promote a new line of oil, that would be really stupid business.

However, if by some one in a million shot these rumors are true there always is Syntec, Royal Purple, and Redline.

Here is a snippet of a post from the thread I linked to above that includes some VOA (virgin oil analysis) data. Again, the oils have just been released and there isn`t a lot of data so take this with a grain of salt.

The first analysis is of standard Mobil1 from last year, the Second from standard Mobil1 from this month and the third is the new Extended Performance Mobil1.

Again, this is virgin oil. If you compare the first two sets, the additives do appear down in the second set which is the newer standard Mobil1 whereas the first and third set compare prettly closely which is the older standard Mobil1 and the new Extended Performance Mobil1.

On October 1st 2004, Olympic posted a VOA of M1 5W-30 SS with the following results:

Zinc: 1000

Magnesium: 20

Calcium: 3000

Phosphorous: 902

Molybdenum: 87

Boron: 182

On February 10th, Stinky posted a VOA of the current M1 5W-30 with the following results:

Zinc: 775

Magnesium: 13

Calcium: 2380

Phosphorous: 678

Molybdenum: 92

Boron: 76

Stinky also compared the M1 with the new EP VOA and the current M1 EP 5W-30 VOA showcases:

Zinc: 1058

Magnesium: 15

Calcium: 2822

Phosphorous: 948

Molybdenum: 83

Boron: 251

Ok different labs were used for these different VOA`s and of course the Supersyn additive isnt included in the VOA numbers.

However, the new EP addpack looks similar to the old M1 add pack with the new formula of regular M1 taking a big overall hit on additives. The only major boost that I can see in EP versus older M1 is in Boron. Magnesium, Calcium, and Moly are all down and Zinc and Phosphorous get a slight boost.

New M1 versus old M1 showcases major drops in all additives except for a slight boost of Moly.

If these VOA`s are accurate and I feel that they are then a lot of the newly enhanced additives in EP over regular M1 comes from reducing the adds in the normal traditional M1 oils. Maybe GF-4 is to blame for this but new M1 does not look to me to have the same solid add pack as the old M1. Its been reduced and downgraded.

Now when Mobil upgraded from Tri-Syn to SuperSyn the increase in adds was obvious and noticable. However next generation of GF-4 SuperSyn seems to have reduced adds.

So yes, I believe that they have downgraded their lineup of regular M1 oils. And I dont think Olympic or Stinky skewed the Voas just to confuse me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been reading a little on this now, and the reduction in additives seems to be due to newer specs which are intended to reduce emission system problems, and not due to "watering" the oil down...at least that`s the "company" line.

Now, to try to get this thread back on topic, anybody know of other places that sell the 5-qt. jugs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can I get information on how these analyses are run? I have unlimited access to pretty much any analytical instrument and think that it would be quite interesting to run a few assays. Not that I have any reason to believe that the numbers in your post are tainted but just for the hell of it; I would also like to run some other brands to see where everything stacks up against one another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

I have been reading a little on this now, and the reduction in additives seems to be due to newer specs which are intended to reduce emission system problems, and not due to "watering" the oil down...at least that`s the "company" line.

Now, to try to get this thread back on topic, anybody know of other places that sell the 5-qt. jugs?

Definitely due to the new API standards, I think I mentioned that above. Sorry to hi-jack your thread

I have seen the gallon jugs of Mobil1 at Advance Auto and Autozone as well as WalMart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rjstaaf

Definitely due to the new API standards, I think I mentioned that above. Sorry to hi-jack your thread

I have seen the gallon jugs of Mobil1 at Advance Auto and Autozone as well as WalMart.

S`ok. I still trust Mobil 1 as long as they haven`t changed it to a "Syntec". Even with a reduced additive package, it still has the stability of a synthetic. Unfortunately for me, there aren`t any convenient Advance Auto or AutoZones around me...although, coincidentally, my friend traveled to an Advance Auto yesterday, and was asked for money in the parking lot by what he described as a "crack whore"; he gave her a buck, then she asked for another for her "friend"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information