Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oil change

Post Thanks / Like
    hi, i have a new honda civic. i would like some input on whether i should take it to the dealer to get an oil change or would it be ok to do it myself. I wanted to use synthetic if i did it myself but some of my friends have told me it is better to go to the dealer so there wouldn`t be any issues that arise when i need to use the warranty. any suggestions would be of great help especially if you work at a car dealer. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    If you save all the recipts from purchasing oil and filters and then mark in the service log in the back of the service manual when you change the oil it should be sufficent for any warranty claims.

Post Thanks / Like
    agreed, as long as you keep track of the recipts you should be fine.

also, if your area gives you receipts when you recycle the oil, that`d be good to keep too.

the only advantage of doing stuff at the dealer is that if you have an issue slightly out of warrenty or other iffy problem, the dealer may take care of you better if they see you`ve been a loyal customer

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes keep meticulous records of every oil change and every receipt for every auto part you purchased.Be prepeared to fax them immediately upon request if you run into a possible warranty issue.

Happened to me my gf`s car, Records were immediately faxed the warranty department remarked how incredible it was and they cheerfully gave her no problems. Of course, when the car went in for a upper engine block (?) repalcement , the technicians were blown away by the extreme cleanliness of the engine compartment
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks, i feel more safe now to do my oil changes, now does anybody know if it would be better to get a purolator pure one filter or an oem honda filter, i want the one that filters best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both are good, check bobistheoilguy.com for information on oil and related topics as extensive as Autopia is about detailing. I just love my oil extractor for oil changes. No mess , can pump out hot oil with no problems. Got mine at the time from Overtons.com, the same as the one in Griots. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by medic

agreed, as long as you keep track of the recipts you should be fine.

also, if your area gives you receipts when you recycle the oil, that`d be good to keep too.

the only advantage of doing stuff at the dealer is that if you have an issue slightly out of warrenty or other iffy problem, the dealer may take care of you better if they see you`ve been a loyal customer
    I use to work for a couple of dealerships years back, what medic said is very true.

Post Thanks / Like
    use a purolator premium plus filter. the pure one is pretty restrictive.

if you go OEM get the honda speced s2000 filter

i absolutely hate dealerships, especially service departments. due to past shenanigans () they will never get a damn cent from me unless abloutely necessary (ie. i need a dealer only part from the parts dept)

oh if they give you BS about needing all sorts of paperwork for an engine re-build under warranty. just give a call to the corprate honda customer service office and complain. that usually pisses the dealership off and gets the dealer scared of complaints (could loose their 5 star certification) and they fix your stuff.
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Bobistheoilguy is a great site with huge amounts of help and information, I would however, use the OE filter during the warranty period to cut down any confusion in the event of a claim. It might be to easy to blame a none OE filter for a problem. There might be slightly better and cheaper filters but there is nothing wrong with the OE

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent adivse :up I have another case of Audi filters on the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    will the s2000 filter fit and work right, i heard the s2000 filter was made by some japanese company (i like that) and the other honda filters are made by fram can anybody confirm that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear there was a argument on honda-acura.net about this.

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...highlight=fram

I still have no idea what the verdict is.

edit: Well, it seems like the new Honda oil filters are made by FRAM. FRAM doesn`t make a good oil filter anymore. argh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

edit: Well, it seems like the new Honda oil filters are made by FRAM. FRAM doesn`t make a good oil filter anymore. argh.

i agree. or so i heard. friends advice me not to get FRAM oil filters because they`ve been known to "blow out" i guess meaning they fall apart or something. also a co-worker was telling me when to use synthetics on a brand new car. i think he said something like not to use them until the engine has been broken in. and he got this advice from another co-worker who bracket races a 10-second camaro. anyone can verify this advice?
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by hirosh

i agree. or so i heard. friends advice me not to get FRAM oil filters because they`ve been known to "blow out" i guess meaning they fall apart or something. also a co-worker was telling me when to use synthetics on a brand new car. i think he said something like not to use them until the engine has been broken in. and he got this advice from another co-worker who bracket races a 10-second camaro. anyone can verify this advice?

yup...http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I always did my oil changes on my Ford F150 and when they said I needed a new engine (under warranty) they were not going to fix it because they had no record of oil changes. I had receipts and computer print out for all maintaenance and they DID replace the engine for free. I am still amazed though that the engine was gummed up, but KEEP ALL RECEIPTS!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information