Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Oil

Post Thanks / Like
    This question is off the detailing track, but members seem very knowledgeable on general car topics, so I thought I`d ask: Is there any benefit to using a synthetic oil when oil changes are once every 3,500 miles?

To maintain my warranty, Nissan requires an oil change every 3,500 miles. I liked using synthetic (Mobil 1) in my 5.0 (15 years old) and in my Honda (12 years old), but if I`m gonna change my oil every 3,500 miles in my Nissan (6 months old) I`m considering using a regular oil instead unless there really is a benefit to synthetic besides its ability to withstand thermal breakdown over a long period of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ben54

This question is off the detailing track, but members seem very knowledgeable on general car topics, so I thought I`d ask: Is there any benefit to using a synthetic oil when oil changes are once every 3,500 miles?

To maintain my warranty, Nissan requires an oil change every 3,500 miles. I liked using synthetic (Mobil 1) in my 5.0 (15 years old) and in my Honda (12 years old), but if I`m gonna change my oil every 3,500 miles in my Nissan (6 months old) I`m considering using a regular oil instead unless there really is a benefit to synthetic besides its ability to withstand thermal breakdown over a long period of time.

You will be fine using a dino based oil. I prefer Chevron as I work for a distributor, but Castrol comes very highly recommended also. I have over 100,000 miles on my Navigator and have never had a problem. Oil related problems are very rare these days as most the major brand oils are of very good quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice. I will probably go back to regular oil as the synthetic is 3x as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would open up the Owner`s Manual and carefully review the mfr`s oil recommendation for grade and required spec....you can never get in trouble, from a warranty perspective, using the oil Nissan recommends.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it could also depend on what are the normal driving conditions for your car.

If the journeys are mainly short and therefore the engine does not get fully warmed up, I would use synthetic. For normal ie longer distances I would use dino.

It has been a while since I last visited Bobistheoilguy but those guys are very knowledgeable :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d go with synthetic, even if it`s more money, especially if you plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time. Also, synthetic will keep the internals of the engine much cleaner, and might give you a slight mileage increase as well.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tom p.

I would open up the Owner`s Manual and carefully review the mfr`s oil recommendation for grade and required spec....you can never get in trouble, from a warranty perspective, using the oil Nissan recommends.

The Honda says 7500 miles

I find it hard to adhere to that schedule, so I stay with AMSoil every 5K. Be warned that a switch to AMSoil will scare you the first time because it goes in like honey and comes out like crude. M1 is honey-->honey.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you change your oil according to your owners manual specs you will be fine with dino or synthetic IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by thinksnow

The Honda says 7500 miles

I find it hard to adhere to that schedule, so I stay with AMSoil every 5K. Be warned that a switch to AMSoil will scare you the first time because it goes in like honey and comes out like crude. M1 is honey-->honey.
    You think 7,500 is bad, the computer in my E55 AMG will go for 10,000 miles between oil changes I`ve always split the difference and change it at 5K. Service is included w/ the car, so I have to pay for every other change. small price to pay. I think with today`s cars 3K oil changes is overkill.

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does the E55 take a MASSIVE amount of oil like newer Bimmers? That may be one reason for the extra-long interval. The Honda takes just under 3 and a half quarts so I don`t put a lot of faith in 7500 mile intervals

Originally posted by cte500

You think 7,500 is bad, the computer in my E55 AMG will go for 10,000 miles between oil changes I`ve always split the difference and change it at 5K. Service is included w/ the car, so I have to pay for every other change. small price to pay. I think with today`s cars 3K oil changes is overkill.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I changed the oil in my old Explorer every 7,500 miles with dino oil (just like the manual recommended) and got 156K trouble free miles out of it before I sold it. Well, out of the engine at least. The transmission was a different story. So I don`t necessarily think that the longer intervals are bad. Of course, a lot depends on the type of driving you do. Lots of shorter trips means changing the oil sooner, although with synthetic I`d bet you could go 7,500 miles no problem even with "severe duty" driving.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Most motor oils & filters work fine in modern engines up to say 5-7.5k miles for sure & synthetics will likely last longer all things being equal. The problem is not that the oil breaks down, it`s that air & gas blow by the pistons (since the firing chamber is not hermetically sealed) & into the oil. The oil soaks up most if not all of this, but if you leave the oil in too long it becomes saturated w/ this stuff & you get varnish build-up. Many people, for peace of mind, cut the oil service interval in half for this reason, particularly for some cars with 15k oil change interval recs in the owner`s manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with syns. I change twice a year(mobil 1 0w20), or about every 6000 miles on my 02 civic ex 5spd. I seen an increase in gas mileage(about 3mpg, so about 37-39. and it stays cooler than with conventional. One thing conventional sucks at is cleanilness, and no matter how much you change it, conventional isn`t seal friendly after 100k because it weras them out.
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    If its a new car (in this case yours) I would say def, but imo, switching to synthetic @ 50,000 (me) doesnt have any affect. Another factor is how good of an oil filter you have. Some people over on tundra solutions have run mobil 1 10,000 miles with one new oil filter, and the oil analysis was still within spec. (i would NEVER do this, but just so you know ) How long do you want to keep your nissan?
    "You offroad that thing?" "Yea man, all the time"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information