Post Thanks / Like
    To teach myself how to paint cars reasonably well? My grandfather has a body shop, but my family isn`t really on good terms with that side of the family. Don`t really talk to him much, I`ve spent only a little bit of time around

I was thinking about getting the air compressor and tools. I don`t know. I need a challenge. I would only do this as a hobby.

What would I need? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a paint and body course at your local community college. I did when I was a senior in high school. Definitely worth it.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Take a paint and body course at your local community college. I did when I was a senior in high school. Definitely worth it.

I`ll have to do that over the summer. I`m booked with classes right now. Good idea. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that is a tough question to answer. If you have a $500 paint gun a dual stage air compressor a dedicated paint booth and about $5,000 in other tools dedicated to sanding and prepping a car to be painted I would say that learning to paint a car will be as easy as finding about 30 cars to practice on.

I buy wrecked cars and fix them and in turn sell them. I thought this would be an easy thing to do. After about 5 years of doing this fairly steady I have broken even on the tools that I have boughten and am now actually turning a profit. But it has been fun all along and I have learned alot.

90% of painting a car is in the prep. The actual spraying of the car is the easy part. It`s like flying an airplane Once you have completed the ground school and learned how to use the instruments and radio and once you know how to land and take off the actual flying part is easy.

If your going to do this out of your garage all I can say is I hope you enjoy wet sanding.

I don`t know how serious you are about doing this but if you are just post some questions and I will answer them as best I can.

Thread Information