Thread: Rack n Pinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Need some help.

About a year ago I replaced the tires on my 97 Mountaineer with Michelin X terrains. Same size as OEM.

I immediately noticed it was harder to initiate the small steering adjustments we all make when driving. For example, there is resistance to turn the steering wheel when making any minor turn, but then the steering is normal once I get past that little sticking point. I thought maybe these tires were a little more squared off on the edges than my old tires.

I went back to the tire place and they found they did not inflate the tires properly. Adding psi improved the situation but did not fix it. Over the past months I have been playing with the tire pressure and have found this is a factor. I also notice this problem is worse in the am.

Finally, I took it to a mechanic and he said he would check the power steering fluid. After a flush and fill and a "you wouldn`t believe what crap came out of that," I feel the problem is better but still not fixed.

Does anyone know if I am looking at a new rack n pinion? Seems strange this all happenned after getting new tires.

:nixweiss
    2002 Titanium SE Miata

2006 Lexus RX350

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be the rack, but I would look at other, cheaper, possible fixes first.

Did you get it aligned after the tires were put on? It`s possible you could have bad upper or lower ball joints, Explorer`s and Moutaineers are well know for these failing. See Ford didn`t install Zerk fittings on these parts to allow them to be lubed with a grease gun, thus the grease thinned and allowed them to fail. This could be causing your problem.

Also, what PSI are you running in the tires?
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an upper ball joint replaced one month prior to getting the new tires, so I assume they checked the others. The tire place started at 26psi which was too low and then went to 31, I`m running about 32 to 33 now.

No alignment done, I should have that checked. Any other tips.

Thanks.
    2002 Titanium SE Miata

2006 Lexus RX350

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have the alignment checked (and completed if needed), also check the remaining ball joints. Also examine the rack, it`s possible you just have a bad seal or something and the entire thing does not need replaced.

The PSI in the tires looks good, I have a 1997 Explorer and I typically run 32 PSI in them.

I have a copy of the 1997 Ford Factory service manual, I`ll lookup some info in your problem and see what it says. :up
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Thread Information