Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for sub 20k sedans

This thread made me search out Chargers. Looks like you can get a ~2015 charger with around 30-40k miles for 20 or below.

V6 305 hp. 8 speed auto. 31mph highway
    That transmission makes them pretty quick.

Pretty roomy too. And we could be automobile family Suggestions for sub 20k sedans

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    This thread made me search out Chargers. Looks like you can get a ~2015 charger with around 30-40k miles for 20 or below.

V6 305 hp. 8 speed auto. 31mph highway
    That transmission makes them pretty quick.

Pretty roomy too. And we could be automobile family Suggestions for sub 20k sedans

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I would love to get a charger. Only problem is my wife doesn`t want a RWD car (slick winters in our area) and the I haven`t really been able to find an AWD model in our price range yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    House of Wax:
    This IS going to be your wife`s car, correct?? My wife and I went though this process to replace my 2003 Subaru Outback with 183,000 miles on it and in dire need of a lot (read expensive) repairs. So rather than sticking that money into the Subaru and having a vehicle that would need who-knows-what down the road, not to mention the rust that was starting (happens to ALL vehicles driven for 15 years in the Upper Midwest winter salt. Sorry, it`s unavoidable, unless its a stainless-steel bodied DeLorean), we decided to look for a used vehicle for $17,000 or less.
    After test driving over 16 different used vehicles, we (she!) settled on a low-mileage certified 2015 Ford Taurus SEL with AWD. Why THAT vehicle? It was Mica Metallic Ruby (AKA blood red metallic), was easy to get in and out of (an important consideration for us "young senior citizens"), has a great ride and interior room, has All-Wheel Drive, a HUGE trunk, Bluetooth-supported technology, driver-assistance safety features, was a certified vehicle with low miles and NO accidents, and the price was right, although "slightly" more than we budgeted. My choice was a used Subaru Outback, but those of lease-return of that same year with 10,000 miles more them were $5,000 to $7,000 more (A LOT more than we budgeted!!). Yes, I give up considerable gas mileage on the Taurus compared to the Subaru, but I can buy A LOT of gas for $5,000, even at $3.00 per gallon.

Personally, I liked a used 2014 Honda CR-V with 60,000 miles we test drove in our budget range, but I REALLY liked a used Honda Accord Sport with a four-cylinder and automatic, but it was "cumbersome" to get in-and-out of for my wife and it was a little over our budget. I think you and your wife would be most pleased with this quiet, fuel-efficient, and well-handling vehicle if you can find one for under your budgeted $20,000. Another upside to this vehicle is the how it retains its resale value and its large appeal to used car buyers if you decide to sell it down the road. SOMEONE always wants a used Honda. The downside? Paying for the (higher) cost of maintenance and repairs, and having a vehicle that is the MOST-LIKEY TO BE STOLEN VEHICLE in the USA ("according" to police data and insurance companies, no pun intended).

Keep us posted on what vehicle you and your wife decide to purchase. She WILL miss her Expedition because with vehicles, as in life, size matters.
    Yes it will be my wife`s daily driver. We`ve both driven the Taurus before and really liked them. Gas mileage looks pretty disappointing for moving down to a car, but it`s still on our radar for sure. Tons of roof and looks great.

We`re going to absolutely miss parts of the Expy. It`s been a great truck. Unfortunately we`ve racked up a lot of miles and it`s gonna take a good chunk of money to keep it rolling. Plus with the amount of driving my wife does, we won`t miss the fill ups. We found out for sure my duaghter is going to miss it. We were driving around some dealer lots last sunday and she asked what we were doing. We told her, and after about the second lot I noticed she was real quiet, so I asked her what was wrong. She started bawling and said she didn`t want to sell the truck because of all the good memories we`ve had in it haha.
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Wonder if they`ve changed their AWD system. Side-by-side (literally) with an Audi (exact same winter tires, size and all), it wasn`t a contest..but eh, that was a long time ago.
    We have that Mazda towards the top of our list at the moment. Pretty cheap price, great gas mileage, and looks better than most cars in that class. I just wish it had an option for a motor with a little more guts

Post Thanks / Like

Our 2012 Subaru has been Rock solid. Changed the battery in year 6 and other than
    Oil and brakes - nothing else so far. I’m in love with the brand and if I can as younger I’d buy a wrx next. With the big tail in world rally blue! The Subaru quietly and effortlessly outperforms my Jeep trail hawk on paved roads up to the clearance of the front air dam. The Jeep is lifted and has knobby tires from the dealer and the subie get blizaks for the worst of winter. It’s an incredible awd system. The subie has a large trunk relative to its size. We got the 4 cyclider because it was purchased as a shared vehicle for new drivers. Not sorry I bought that fo one day. Plus it holds its value despite mileage. Check out car gurus. We considered the Passat and the Honda Accord at the time. I bought the Subaru on awd, safety and reliability. All true 6 years later.

Might look at the new Tesla. I hear the tax advantages amount to close to 8k in year one plus no gas ever. They are safe. Looks are all in the eye of the beholder. I love the tech. For my life on the road the battery chargers limitation stops me and quite frankly I wanted to buy one for my wife and she wanted no part of it so it ended. She not the queen of tech but she is awesome.
    Likes jatleson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Might look at the new Tesla. I hear the tax advantages amount to close to 8k in year one plus no gas ever. They are safe. Looks are all in the eye of the beholder. I love the tech. For my life on the road the battery chargers limitation stops me and quite frankly I wanted to buy one for my wife and she wanted no part of it so it ended. She not the queen of tech but she is awesome.
    While you may not pay for gas, and hence, gas taxes that go to road repair, Wisconsin has a yearly "road tax" on all registered electric vehicles to alleviate this over-site and disparity.
    We`ve also discussed the "environmental" effects of having to supply electricity to re-charge electric vehicles, if say, 25% of the vehicles in driven in the USA were electric-powered. I know EVERYONE is on the solar and windmill generation of electrical power bandwagon. The solar part might be OK in the sunny Southwest USA. However, the low-level, low-Hertz frequency "white noise" generated by huge-blade windmills and the long-term harmful health effects on humans living in proximity to these windmills/turbines needs further study. In Brown county in Wisconsin I live in and adjacent Kewanee county, a lawsuit has been filed by nearby residents to Windmill farms that have recently gone up in rural areas. The lawsuit is still pending, but a Brown county health official did get fired because he would not "recognize the possibility"(a legal term to get around admission and verification, and hence, liability) that these residents MAY have health issues caused by low-frequency white noise and vibration. This could be a landmark legal case against the turbine windmill electric generation industry, akin to smoking tobacco causing lung cancer class-action lawsuit was (and is) to the tobacco industry (which they still adamantly deny). Obviously, further studies and research are needed, again just as was the case in smoking and lung cancer correlation. Unfortunately, it took many years and the lose of many lives to "discover" this heath issue. I am hoping that the windmill industry will resolve this and be exonerated for this possible heath issue, as we will need their electrical generation to power the proliferation of electrical vehicles in the (very) near future.
    ...Back to buying a used vehicle
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Might actually be looking at a brand new Malibu or Impala. Some really good deals right now and with usually getting a better interest rate on new cars, it might be our best option. Going to drive as many different cars as we can this Saturday

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Eh, wrong answer here, but I`d just keep it. Cheaper to fix what you already have than to buy anything else IME and if your wife likes it and has fond memories then why not?

I`ve put many times the cost of a new car into Accumulatorette`s A8, replacing it has never even been a consideration.

If you do buy a Mazda, I`d try to find out whether your choice has build-quality issues. I found out much too late that my MPV was known to have the stuff we sold it over...and no the Dealer/Regional Rep did *not* help at all. NEVER AGAIN, and my wife did like her previous Mazdas (which were also more or less Temporary Cars).

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t say enough about the Mazda 6. I bought a new one in 2009 (one of the last of the I-6`s) and have never had a single problem with it. It`s fast (272 hp in `09), comfortable, handles well and, to me, about as good looking as a small sedan gets nowadays. Bought it for my wife and she still brags about the car. Given that we`re both geezers, guess it`s gonna be an heirloom. Works for me I`d buy another one in a heartbeat. Have never read a bad review of one. My sister has had 4 or 5 and recommended I check out Mazda`s. Glad I finally listened to her. Good luck with whatever you get.

Post Thanks / Like

See how YMMV (again)?!?

Post Thanks / Like

I’m with you on the Mazda’s. They look great, but the lack of a 6 cylinder engine choice kills it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Choices are narrowing down. Drove a new Malibu tonight. Really nice car, very comfortable to drive, but we decided the full size sedan will work better for us. The back seat is just too narrow to realistically fit 3 across if/when needed. Right now a 2017/2018 Impala is the front runner. Going to find a Taurus to drive Saturday to compare.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Going to find a Taurus to drive Saturday to compare.
    No concerns about Ford getting out of the sedan business? Once Ford abandons a vehicle platform the parts availability can become an issue; it appears they`d even rather pay fines than keep oddball stuff in stock (e.g., Lincoln MKVIII headlights).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    No concerns about Ford getting out of the sedan business? Once Ford abandons a vehicle platform the parts availability can become an issue; it appears they`d even rather pay fines than keep oddball stuff in stock (e.g., Lincoln MKVIII headlights).
    That would be a big concern for me in the same postion. I`ve never driven a Taurus, but when I looked at a couple of the current gen Taurus SHOs, I was surprised to see how big they were on the outside and how little space you had on the inside. The interior design was very strange in how it utilized (poorly) interior space. I found the Fusion to be more spacious and comfortable despite be an entire car class smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

Not too concerned. They`re still making brand new ones and aren`t they mandated by law to produce parts for like 5 years past the manufacture date? I could be off on that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information