Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Diesel Powaaa

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Diesel Powaaa

Was "forced" into a nice upgrade this past week. Dropped my daughter off for school and all of a sudden my battery light popped on. Couldn`t get more than about 11.8-12 volts out of it. The alternator had already been replaced once before I bought the truck and after looking around it appears it`s pretty common for these trucks to eat the stock alternators. Apparently Ford thought it`d be a good idea to put a wimpy little 110 amp alternator in it from the factory (it`s the same stinkin unit they use in the Fusions). Decided not to mess around and spent the money on a Leece Neville 230 amp alternator.

The glow plugs are a huge draw on startup and with the stock alternator it would dip to about 11.5 volts on startup and then slowly climb back up and fluctuate from about 13.5-13.8 volts. Every once in a great while when I turned my lights on at night it would dip down to about 12.5 volts and then kinda bounce around (maybe a sign it`s been crapping out for awhile). Got everything wrapped up tonight and tested it out. On startup the voltage dipped to about 11.5 volts like usual, but then it shot right up to 14.2 volts within about 5-10 seconds and held steady there. Took it for a drive and with the headlights, stereo blastin, and heater/defroster on it never dipped below 14.1 volts. Was very happy to see that.

Stock unit in the truck:

Old and new unit:

Due to the much higher output, I had to upgrade some cables. Luckily I had some nice 1/0 awg at the house already. Got some nice tinned copper lugs and adhesive lined shrink tubing and made some nice new cables. God bless the Panduit hydraulic crimper that my brother in law`s late father had. That thing worked awesome:

Upgraded the charge cable from the alternator to the battery as well a new ground cable from where the alternator mounts to the engine over to a spot where the body attaches to the frame. Still need to upgrade the crossover cable (from the passenger side battery positive to the driver`s side battery positive), and upgrade the driver`s side battery ground cable from the frame to the engine block. Also will be getting some protective tubing for all the cables:

Wasn`t cheap, and certainly isn`t a "fun" upgrade, but I`m glad it`s done. It obviously made a noticable difference already and I think it`s going to work out well for the truck in the long run
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Nice cable work, very clean and neat.
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed catching up on this thread. Nice work and always great to see kids helping!
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How`s the dash coming along?
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    How`s the dash coming along?
    On the back burner for now. Was looking at getting it dipped and it was going to be a bit more expensive than I was hoping for. Focus for now is going to be getting the sound deadening and stereo done. I`ve recently gotten the CLD layer done in the doors and will be working on the CCF/MLV layers next

Post Thanks / Like

Next project coming up this afternoon....replacing the way over tired 162000 mile shocks and steering stabilizer with Bilstein 5100 series units. Should make a noticeable difference. Can`t wait to get em on

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Likes nickclark08, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Next project coming up this afternoon....replacing the way over tired 162000 mile shocks and steering stabilizer with Bilstein 5100 series units. Should make a noticeable difference. Can`t wait to get em on

I put the 5100’s on my F150 a few months back. I’ve really liked them. What are you driving?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

The F250 in this thread

Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I`d update this after a couple months of use after the shock upgrade.....

First off, the new ones look a bit better:

The shocks have been done for awhile, but FINALLY I got the steering stabilizer replaced today.

Man, what a difference. 3 of the 4 shocks barely would rebound on their own, and the 4th wouldn`t rebound at all when compressed. Also, the steering stabilizer that was in there was leaking hydraulic fluid and was obviously shot. It`s like a completely different truck after the upgrade. Before the truck would continue to bounce after large bumps, rock over uneven bumps, and the steering would shake occasionally when braking or going over certain kinds of bumps. Now, it still rides like a 3/4 ton truck, but it immediately settles right down after bumps, there`s no wobble in the steering under any conditions, and it overall rides a million times better. Money well spent
    Likes trashmanssd, SWETM, nickclark08, Stokdgs liked this post

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread Information