Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to buy a Grand Cherokee 5,9 LX model year 98. The prices here are coming down now, what problems are there that I should be aware of ? I could get a newer version of the Grand Cherokee, but the sound is pure sex on wheels on that model. One just pased by right under my balcony and it almost gave me goose bumps :-) And it`s smaller than the 99- version so I can get it in our garage easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 98 ZJ`s (Grand Cherokee`s). One is a 5.9 Limited and the other is a Laredo SE w/ 5.2L V8. The 5.9 has just under 100K on it and the Laredo has almost 200K on it. Both have been very reliable. Here are a few things to look out for and be aware of:

1)All the V8 ZJ`s come with the NP249 transfer case. This is a full-time 4WD case that uses a viscous coupling to transfer power to the front and rear drive shafts. It transfers power at varying rates based on traction. It is prone to wear out anywhere from 60K-120K miles. When it does, it usually fails in the locked up condition. When it fails in this manner, you will know by doing tight (full lock) turns in a parking lot and look for binding and poping. There is always some very slight binding and resistance on this TC, but it should not have moderate to heavy binding. If it does the VC is shot, and will require replacement. The part is very expensive ~$800 and requires the TC to be torn down. I fixed both of mine by swapping out the NP249 TC to an NP242 at a much lower cost then replacing the VC.

2)These ZJ`s are notorious for warped brake rotors. The biggest problem with them is the factory rotors are a composite 2-piece rotor. A cheap and easy fix is to replace the rotors with a full cast iron rotor and some good pads. I have run numerous rotors and pads on these rigs and the best combo I have found is Raybestos PG Plus full cast iron rotors and Performance Friction pads.

Other than those 2 things these rigs are great IMO. With some good tires, shocks and a little lift, they perform amazing off-road and still are fun, comfortable and capable on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John,

Check out Jeeps Unlimited Forums. What Autopia is to detailing JU is for Jeeps. Do a search on JU and you will find tons of info you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I owned one myself and also bought and sold a couple of them too. I owned all charcoal ones. They only made them in 3 colors and in one year only too. Was the best SUV that I ever owned. They are really cheap now with the prices of gas.

Just make sure there is no noise in the engine. I have seen a lot of them with noisy engines. Also make sure it was always run with Premium gas. If you do not run them on premium gas, then you will detonate the engine and crack a piston. If the previous owner only put regular gas in it, then do not buy it. Chances of it being over detinated is good.

They are BIG HUGE gas pigs. I was getting 9 in the city and 12 on the highway and 4 MPG getting on it. It will push, pull, or tow with extreme ease.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLINY
    Hi John,

Check out Jeeps Unlimited Forums. What Autopia is to detailing JU is for Jeeps. Do a search on JU and you will find tons of info you are looking for.

I have been a member on JU since early 1999. Also a member of NAGCA and MallCrawlin. They all are packed with great info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark77
    I would like to buy a Grand Cherokee 5,9 LX model year 98. The prices here are coming down now, what problems are there that I should be aware of ? I could get a newer version of the Grand Cherokee, but the sound is pure sex on wheels on that model. One just pased by right under my balcony and it almost gave me goose bumps :-) And it`s smaller than the 99- version so I can get it in our garage easily.

using lots of gas!

:LOLOL :LOLOL :LOLOL
    For some reason i didn`t think a black car would be that bad...:hairpull

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your advise. Using alot of gas is of course one problem, but it won`t be my daily driver

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always wanted a 5.9 Limited. It`s my favorite model next to the new SRTs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive also always wanted a 5.9.. I looked at a white one when I was looking for a new Jeep but didnt want it as a DD..

Ive always read that its a good idea to put a good tranny cooler on them if you want the tranny to last along time. :xyxthumbs

Thread Information