Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I haven`t posted on Autopia in a little while but what better place to share my grief and sorrow.

I haven`t brought her in yet but I`m unloading my 2003 Porsche 996 C2 for a ....gulp, 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring. :bawling:

After my 3 years of fun with my 996 I think I have to become practical. I`ve got a 21 month old daughter and a 1 month old daughter and I can only get 1 car seat in the back.

Anyways, it was fun while it lasted. I`ve really enjoyed detailing her and keeping her clean with Autopia`s help - which did help me tremendously on the value of the car. Now it`s time to start a new chapter in my car life and get the mini-van.

Any words of consolation are welcome.

Thanks in advance for the cyber shoulder to cry on!

Post Thanks / Like
    I once got rid of *my* Porsche because of our "kids", the dogs. Wasn`t the last cool car I ended up having though, so just wait

If I were in your shoes, I`d consider all the options, maybe sell both the Porsche and the SUV, get a cheaper minivan and something closer to fun for the other vehicle. You could put a lot of kid seats/kid stuff in a Magnum or something like that

Honestly, I don`t miss the ~radical sportscars. I can actually cover ground on public roads *faster* in our current high-performance sedans (they`re not ticket-magnets). Never *really* did enough track days to justify having cars whose potential can`t be realized on the street anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    why wouldnt you just use your explorer for the kids? alot of people i know sell their fun cars to get a minivan and I am like " you got a friggin suv"!
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If I just had 2 little kids to worry about, I wouldn`t even consider a minivan. Dude, you should have bought a decent performance sedan. Something with 4 doors, a reasonable trunk, and 250-300 or more HP. It`s no Porsche, but better than driving around looking like a soccer mom.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the end you`ll have a porsche again
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s alright...I too own a van. It`s a white Toyota Sienna. My previous vehicle was a white Toyota 4Runner SR5 which still today was happy to have owned it as long as I did but I have no regrets.

I told myself long ago that I would never buy a van but my priorities changed. My wife and I have 3 young children and looking back I would do it again all over. Our van offers my wife and I the peace of mind that our children are safe, ride comfortably, and we will be able to do what all soccer moms/dads do which is take their children to soccer, baseball, volleyball, dance class, beach, and have fun while at it. And the van also allows us the space to accommodate friends and family on outings.

I think the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey are excellent choices.

With Aloha,

Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear. :sosad Get a Porsche Cayenne, then you can have your cake and eat it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PakShak
    It`s alright...I too own a van. It`s a white Toyota Sienna. My previous vehicle was a white Toyota 4Runner SR5 which still today was happy to have owned it as long as I did but I have no regrets.

I told myself long ago that I would never buy a van but my priorities changed. My wife and I have 3 young children and looking back I would do it again all over. Our van offers my wife and I the peace of mind that our children are safe, ride comfortably, and we will be able to do what all soccer moms/dads do which is take their children to soccer, baseball, volleyball, dance class, beach, and have fun while at it. And the van also allows us the space to accommodate friends and family on outings.

I think the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey are excellent choices.

With Aloha,

Ranney

I couldn`t have said it better.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Odyssey`s rock. We love our 05. Sorry to see the Porsche go, but it`s nice to see you putting your family before yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Odyssey are rocking vans, really nice. While not a porsche, I think you will be very happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have to say getting rid of the 996 would be hard for me. but i would not get a mini van more like a WRX STI or a EVO mr

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by novaracer
    .... i would not get a mini van more like a WRX STI or a EVO mr

Yep, car seats, baby carriers and strollers slide right in those cars as long as the driver is 5`5" or less.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote for a full sized sedan. All you need is a 4-5 seater with trunk space. You`ll save on gas, have something that doesn`t corner like a 747, and have more power. What does your wife drive? If she already has a station wagon, SUV or van (for family trips), you`ll be fine with a hatchback.

If you`re relegated to a minivan, check this one out:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/mazd...45/review.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude,

Anyone counseling against the minivan, doesn`t have kids or doesn`t have kids and realize what a great vehicle the Odyssey is when you have a family. Trust me, you will be thankful you have it. Your wife will like not having to load kids up into the SUV seats. You`ll find a time when the rear seats come in handy. And the Odyssey doens`t handle like the old domestic minivans. While it doesn`t have to be YOUR main ride, you will love having it in the family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Honestly, I don`t miss the ~radical sportscars. I can actually cover ground on public roads *faster* in our current high-performance sedans (they`re not ticket-magnets). Never *really* did enough track days to justify having cars whose potential can`t be realized on the street anyhow.

On the whole, I`d agree with you. Owning and sampling some of the latest sports sedans (especially the current offerings from Audi S, Merc AMG, and BMW M), they are more than adequate for commuting. IMO you need torque and the ability to squirt down straights. Many of them handle quite well and the limits are still quite high for the street. However, even for the street, sometimes a good sports car offers some extra visceral excitement, even if you aren`t going any faster. Though, for many, that doesn`t hold that much value anymore.

A few of my neighbors have Odysseys and love them. They seem to be one of the best minivans you can get. Considering small SUVs as well? Though I think the minivan works a bit better for family usage.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information