Post Thanks / Like
    Is it necessary to wash after polishing to remove polishing oils in order for a sealant to bond properly?

I suppose it would be a good test to wash 1 side of the car after polishing to compare/test the longevity of the sealant with the other unwashed side...

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely not necessary to wash before a LSP. If you are worried about bonding issues consider wiping down your paint with a 1:1 IPA:H20 mix. You could also use a paint cleaner such as AIO, UPPC, or Pro Polish etc to ensure you won`t run into any issues. If you have accumulated a lot of dust from the polish you used washing will rid your vehic of all the mess. HTH
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pssstue
    Definitely not necessary to wash before a LSP. If you are worried about bonding issues consider wiping down your paint with a 1:1 IPA:H20 mix. You could also use a paint cleaner such as AIO, UPPC, or Pro Polish etc to ensure you won`t run into any issues. If you have accumulated a lot of dust from the polish you used washing will rid your vehic of all the mess. HTH

Yup. Shouldn`t need to wash it. If it`s dusty, a quick detailer should do, unless it`s REALLY dusty. If you`re worried about oils left behind, just do a rubbing alcohol wipe-down and move to the lsp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    Is it necessary to wash after polishing to remove polishing oils in order for a sealant to bond properly?

Hey Ryan,

This is a good question. And it certainly makes sense that there may possibly be polishing oils and other comtaminants remaining on the surface after polishing. It would be interesting to know whether or not these replies about not having to wash between polishing and sealing/waxing are based on opinions or are they based on actual facts.

Post Thanks / Like
    No washing when using ZPC for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, not needed at least not for meguiars #7 i use with #20....but remember read the maufacturer direction......
    another day another dollar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    This is a good question. And it certainly makes sense that there may possibly be polishing oils and other comtaminants remaining on the surface after polishing. It would be interesting to know whether or not these replies about not having to wash between polishing and sealing/waxing are based on opinions or are they based on actual facts.

I think thats why Sloth and I recommended wiping down with IPA/Water to insure his peace of mind. . . also why I suggested a paint cleaning polish. You are correct too, this is a good question. RAG does not say which products/process he is using and I do think it would be interesting to find out. What is your overall opinion Frank?
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope; no washing but I use some isopropyl alcohol mixed with lukewarm water (1 part alcohol 2 parts lukewarm water).

If I am only concerned about the dust residue, I use my Cali duster and a damp (not moist or wet; only faintly damp) MF to gently wipe down.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG

I would say no also, however maybe some sealants are more finiky than others. There may be times when all you want to do is hide defects/scratches because of time, or the clear coat may be a little thin. You wouldn`t want to wash after using a polish, or even a glaze for that matter that contain fillers/oils because some, or all of those would get removed. That`s not what you want before you seal or wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HomicidalSloth
    Yup. Shouldn`t need to wash it. If it`s dusty, a quick detailer should do, unless it`s REALLY dusty. If you`re worried about oils left behind, just do a rubbing alcohol wipe-down and move to the lsp.

That`s actually really strong. :nervous2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Not at all unless you use too much product and splatter it everywhere

Also washing might strip off the VM, RMG and YCW glazes

Each panel gets a spray and wipe of QS after each step
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pssstue
    RAG does not say which products/process he is using and I do think it would be interesting to find out. What is your overall opinion Frank?

I think it would depend on the polishing product being used prior to waxing.

For example; I would consider washing between processes after using Meguiar`s #7. That`s because #7 contains polishing oils that are not that easy to totally remove from the surface after drying. In that situation you would have to wonder whether or not any residue from the polishing oils are going to effect the bonding and ultimate performance of the sealant or wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a general question, as I use many different procedures and products...depending mostly on what the customer is willing to pay for. If I can, I try to apply AIO (and more recently RMG) before applying a sealant; but most aren`t willing to pay for the extra time...so I simply wash, polish, and seal (I usually use FMJ because it is so easy/fast). However, what spurred my question was the notion that Sal Zaino has said it is necessary to wash after polishing before applying Z2 Pro.

Maybe to be safe, I will do a quick H20/Alcohol wipedown before using Z2 Pro. Actually, I hope to conduct a durability experiment by not wiping down one side...but it will be 6 months before the results of this are in. May Sal has already done such an experiment?

Thread Information