Post Thanks / Like
    I had a head on accident a few weeks ago with my truck. The front fenders and hood were all replaced and repainted at the dealership.

Today in the sunlight I realized how lousy of a job they did. There is fine scratches all over the hood and fenders.

I don`t know if it is from the painter, or from them washing the truck before they gave it back to me. Anyways, I need to polish these out with the PC.....

Is it safe to polish the hood and fenders so soon? They were painted and baked about 1 week ago. Also, can I use Zaino on the new paint?

Thanks.
    I eat Vegans

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the time the paint will be sanded and buffed before it is returned to you.

You should be fine polishing it. Just use body shop safe polishes as a precaution.

You can use Zaino on fresh paint, but I would follow the painter`s advice in order to maintain the warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    Most of the time the paint will be sanded and buffed before it is returned to you.

You should be fine polishing it. Just use body shop safe polishes as a precaution.

You can use Zaino on fresh paint, but I would follow the painter`s advice in order to maintain the warranty.

So the fine scratches i`m seeing are from the sanding and poor buffing of the clear?

Also, i was gonna use #80 to polish. Is this a good choice?
    I eat Vegans

Post Thanks / Like
    If it were me..and the paint did not look good. I would return the car and have them do it properly...and if it was an insurance claim contact them and tell them it is not acceptable.

also look to see if the scratches are on the clear coat or under it on the base coat...if the scratches are on the base coat and the clear is bringing them up to be visual..then you will not be able to remove the scratches on the base coat...

All in all ..have them fix it...till it is right....

Hope this helps....

Al
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AL-53
    If it were me..and the paint did not look good. I would return the car and have them do it properly...and if it was an insurance claim contact them and tell them it is not acceptable.

also look to see if the scratches are on the clear coat or under it on the base coat...if the scratches are on the base coat and the clear is bringing them up to be visual..then you will not be able to remove the scratches on the base coat...

All in all ..have them fix it...till it is right....

Hope this helps....

Al

I will be going down to the dealership tomorrow to straiten this out. It was an insurance claim. I didn`t pay a cent.
    I eat Vegans

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by koko_b_ware
    So the fine scratches i`m seeing are from the sanding and poor buffing of the clear?

Also, i was gonna use #80 to polish. Is this a good choice?
    i had the same thing when i got my car back. i waited 3-4 months without polishing it or waxing it then i had at it with a little ssr2.5 and it looked absolutely crazy. (good :up )

i have some posts showing the results with pics if u wanna search a couple months back through my posts

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend before putting any type of polish, wax, or sealant on your vehicle. Make sure you are happy with the work because the shop could come back to you and say, "we`re sorry but the polish, wax, or sealant you applied to your vehicle`s finish voided your warranty. You are suppose to let the paint breathe for 30 to 90 days. And the product(s) you used are not body shop safe which means we need to start from scratch. This will not be covered under your warranty."

I personally would not do anything to my vehicle if it had been recently been repaired and repainted especially if I am not happy with the work the shop performed. I think once you apply any type of polish, wax, or sealant" to your vehicle, it could be considered acceptance of the work performed.

With Aloha,

Ranney

Post Thanks / Like
    Then on the other hand, if the painter screwed up the first time, what makes you think that they`re going to do a better job the second time around. I`d just let it cure and do it myself personally, especially if I had the skills/tools in which to do so.
    2009 Montego Blue BMW 335i :woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    If you decide to polish it yourself, #80 is a good option. Body shop safe and it leaves some protection.

I have used SSR2.5, AIO and Z2Pro/ZFX on fresh paint without any problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I took out my halogen lights and looked closely at my paint. The fine scratches I was seeing on my re-paint section are actually all over the whole truck.

THose Fokkers must have washed my truck with a brush before they gave it to me. Every panel is lightly swirled..... Man that pisses me off.

I had the paint looking very good for black when it went into the bodyshop. Looks like i`ve got a day of polishing ahead of me.

I`m gonna talk to the dealership owner tomorrow and complain about what the did to my paint. And just think..... they probally wash all the New vehicles this way too.

This is what it looked like 3 weeks ago:

I`ll get some shots of what the body shop did to it tomorrow in the sun.

The befores:

Hopefully I can get it back to the Mint Condition I had it in..... I`ll keep everyone updated.
    I eat Vegans

Post Thanks / Like
    Your experience is why I`d never let a dealership do paint and body to my car. In the future, seek out a good independent shop. Honestly, do it now so you will be ready if you are ever in a wreck again.

Definitely complain, most people are just happy to get their vehicle back they don`t notice the shoddy work.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, turns out the fine scratches are from the Dealership washing the truck with a Brush before they gave it back to me.

I`ll be polishing soon, and will use #80 on the new paint.
    I eat Vegans

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember #80 will contain oils so be sure to remove these as part of the evaluation process

Thread Information