Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning on getting new paint this next week. The temps in SLC, UT are predicted to be in the 50-60`s, and more humid than normal, with a chance of rain/snow on thursday, which is about when they would be getting the paint on it.

My question is how will the relative humidity and temperature affect my new paint?

Post Thanks / Like
    mondonalds- Welcome to Autopia!

The weather will just make the paint cure/outgas a little slower than it would in hot weather. I`ve had lots of paintwork done in cool/damp weather and it`s not a problem.

For the first 2 months or so (while the paint cures/outgasses) use something that`s fresh-paint-friendly such as Meguiar`s #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal Step #2, Mothers Glaze, or 3M`s Imperial Hand Glaze. Don`t use a wax or sealant or the paint won`t cure right and thus will not attain optimal hardness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

The weather will just make the paint cure/outgas a little slower than it would in hot weather. I`ve had lots of paintwork done in cool/damp weather and it`s not a problem.

For the first 2 months or so (while the paint cures/outgasses) use something that`s fresh-paint-friendly such as Meguiar`s #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal Step #2, Mothers Glaze, or 3M`s Imperial Hand Glaze. Don`t use a wax or sealant or the paint won`t cure right and thus will not attain optimal hardness.

Accumulator said it all.

10-12 weeks to be extra safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. Make sure to use "body shop safe" products like those mentioned by Accumulator.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. So, after my car is painted, I should one of the products listed above. Is there one that you recommend? I would really like my car to have a nice, deep high glossy shine. I don`t know if it matters, but it is getting repainted the factory color, which is G62-P, a darker green.

How long should I wait until I use the glaze? I have never applied glaze, would I do it like a polish or wax? I do have a porter cable polisher as well.

Thanks again for the help. I am just starting to really get into detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    mondonalds- I prefer the Meg`s #5, but you generally have to order it from a Meguiar`s dealer or straight from them. I find it so easy to use that I really don`t mind having to redo it after every wash (all glazes have to be redone this way). The Deep Crystal Step #2 is almost as good and is often available in autoparts stores (ditto for the Mother`s). The Meg`s #7 is also commonly available but many people find it user-unfriendly; it`s sorta tricky to use. FWIW I don`t like the 3m IHG very much, I`d use something else.

You can glaze it right away. In fact, the painters might have already done it before you ever saw the car. You can apply it by hand or with the PC. By PC, use either a very soft polishing pad or a finishing pad, speed 3-4, don`t overwork the product, wipe off with a very soft MF while it`s still a little wet. With the #5 it`s not a big deal if it dries, but I wouldn`t let the DC#2 dry all the way.

FWIW, my painter bakes his work and I still use glaze for about three months. Most people don`t want to wait that long though and with winter coming you`ll want some real protection on there before the weather gets too nasty.

BTW, that sounds like a nice color.

Post Thanks / Like
    mondonalds- I prefer the Meg`s #5, but you generally have to order it from a Meguiar`s dealer or straight from them. I find it so easy to use that I really don`t mind having to redo it after every wash (all glazes have to be redone this way). The Deep Crystal Step #2 is almost as good and is often available in autoparts stores (ditto for the Mother`s). The Meg`s #7 is also commonly available but many people find it user-unfriendly; it`s sorta tricky to use. FWIW I don`t like the 3m IHG very much, I`d use something else.

You can glaze it right away. In fact, the painters might have already done it before you ever saw the car. You can apply it by hand or with the PC. By PC, use either a very soft polishing pad or a finishing pad, speed 3-4, don`t overwork the product, wipe off with a very soft MF while it`s still a little wet. With the #5 it`s not a big deal if it dries, but I wouldn`t let the DC#2 dry all the way.

FWIW, my painter bakes his work and I still use glaze for about three months. Most people don`t want to wait that long though and with winter coming you`ll want some real protection on there before the weather gets too nasty.

BTW, that sounds like a nice color.

My car went into the shop today. I cant wait until its done. I spoke with the paint guy who said I shouldnt use glaze for a few weeks. I dont think he realized I meant a cure-safe glaze. He recommends that I dont use soap or any kind of cleaner, just water for the first 8 weeks or so. How am I going to get the car clean enough to then put a glaze on it. I dont want to scratch up my new paint. What are your thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mondonalds
    My car went into the shop today. I cant wait until its done. I spoke with the paint guy who said I shouldnt use glaze for a few weeks. I dont think he realized I meant a cure-safe glaze. He recommends that I dont use soap or any kind of cleaner, just water for the first 8 weeks or so. How am I going to get the car clean enough to then put a glaze on it. I dont want to scratch up my new paint. What are your thoughts on this?

OK, I feel a little sheepish saying this, but your painter is wrong- or more likely he`s assuming you might do something weird and so he`s giving you idiot-proof advice.

You *can* wash your car with a non-wax-containing shampoo like Meguiar`s #00 or #62 or Griot`s Car Wash (my usual choice) right away. I`ve washed fresh repaints with these shampoos literally dozens of times, did two this year. No way to wash without shampoo and also wash without scratching. As I think you`ve figured out, it`s the lubricity and suds of the shampoo that minimizes the marring. And plain water won`t loosen the dirt very well, so you`d end up scrubbing/scratching because of that too.

You can use the previously recommended glazes right away too- again, this is something I know from first hand experience.

I wouldn`t argue with the painter, I`d just do what`s right.

Heh heh, not sure why you oughta believe *me*, a semi-anonymous poster on the internet instead of the painter, but if necessary I can refer you to pro painters who`ll back me up.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I feel a little sheepish saying this, but your painter is wrong- or more likely he`s assuming you might do something weird and so he`s giving you idiot-proof advice.

You *can* wash your car with a non-wax-containing shampoo like Meguiar`s #00 or #62 or Griot`s Car Wash (my usual choice) right away. I`ve washed fresh repaints with these shampoos literally dozens of times, did two this year. No way to wash without shampoo and also wash without scratching. As I think you`ve figured out, it`s the lubricity and suds of the shampoo that minimizes the marring. And plain water won`t loosen the dirt very well, so you`d end up scrubbing/scratching because of that too.

You can use the previously recommended glazes right away too- again, this is something I know from first hand experience.

I wouldn`t argue with the painter, I`d just do what`s right.

Heh heh, not sure why you oughta believe *me*, a semi-anonymous poster on the internet instead of the painter, but if necessary I can refer you to pro painters who`ll back me up.

Thanks for all your help. I trust you over the body man. You are probably right in saying that he thinks I will ruin it.

Can I get Megs 5 and 00 from autopia car care? If not, where can I buy it online?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mondonalds
    Can I get Megs 5 and 00 from autopia car care? If not, where can I buy it online?

I don`t think Autopia has it (too bad, I`d like to send the business their way). I`d probably just order directly from Meguiar`s. Their order line is (or at least *was* the last time I called) 800 545-3321.

Between the #00 and the #62, I`d probably go with the #62. Also, IIRC, it comes in gallons, which I`d get instead of the little bottles (pints?) that #00 comes in. #62 has better cleaning ability and probably greater lubricity. It was my standard wash choice until I switched to Griot`s.

Thread Information