Post Thanks / Like
    It sure would be great if it didn`t rain after detailing a car but, this time of year it gets really difficult to avoid. I spent this afternoon applying a coat of Collinite 845 and it is supposed to rain Monday into Tesday. Is there a preferred amount of time to avoid getting a car wet after an application of wax? As much as I want to see the 845 bead water, I may just leave it in the garage until Wednesday.

I believe some of the synthetic or polymer sealants need time to crosslink and you should keep the dry while they set up. Is this a correct statement? What about carnauba waxes?
    It`s better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool.

Post Thanks / Like
    i saw my neighbour waxing his car in the rain today :laugh: can`t say i know either

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve waxed my car and been forced to take it out in the rain right afterward. I`ve also been waxing outside when it started raining unexpectedly.

I can`t say whether it affected the durability or not, since I generally wax the car every month or so anyway, and I`ve never had a wax last less than that long.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think a day is more than enough

even less should be fine for IW
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by White95Max
    I`ve waxed my car and been forced to take it out in the rain right afterward. I`ve also been waxing outside when it started raining unexpectedly.

I can`t say whether it affected the durability or not, since I generally wax the car every month or so anyway, and I`ve never had a wax last less than that long.

Even though I try to wait atleast 24 hours before I expose my freshly detailed paint to the elements, I agree with Paul`s view. I think we`ve all taken out our vehicles in the rain, right after we deatailed, at some point in time.

Post Thanks / Like
    It does not matter, especially with a carnauba based wax. Usually polymer sealants should not be detergent washed for 24-48 hours. Rain should not have any ill effects on freshly applied waxes or sealants.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I instruct my clients to avoid water for 48 hrs, if possible. Even if ts not advised by the product manufacturer. Its just a personal thing....I rarely read the directions anyway, so how would I know if they advised it anyway??!!

Does anyone include such advice on the directions??
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    It does seem that 845IW is one of the less "fussy" LSPs out there. I don`t think that I would worry about it, if it has been sitting overnight

Collinite products seem to be made for those of us who would love our rides to look great, but we have a life, and our detailing schedules have to work around that, and the weather, not to say our budgets.

If you`ve prepped well, then just drive it, and enjoy the water just rolling off it. When you get another good day, you can always wash and clay it, and throw another layer of IW on it.

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find that waxes have better initial resistance to rain than sealants.

Natt`s, 845, #16, CMW, and #26 hae all been used just before rain,

and they seem not to be majorly affected. So I tend to work with

those when I know rain is coming soon. Otherwise, I go with Klasse,

or FK1 sealants when the weather is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never had a problem with a carnauba getting wet soon after application. I washed my hood once right after #16 went on since I noticed some SMR dust in the panel gaps. Didn`t seem to be any worse off than the rest of the car.

I have used DP sealant (both liquid and spray) and EX-P and it rained at night about 6 hours after application and they both barely beaded after a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with Patrick on this too -- I garage my cars anyway, but I try to avoid puddles, etc as long as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    Rain should not have any ill effects on freshly applied waxes or sealants.

The instructions on DP`s sealant specifically say to keep the vehicle dry for 12 hours because it is oxygen activated and getting it wet too soon will `drown` the polymers, whatever that means.

I applied DP`s sealant yesterday over an 8 week old application on a Lexus LX470 and told the owner it had to stay dry for 12 hours (rain was forecast for late afternoon) so he put it in their other garage (attached to their main house) while it was still dry. 2 hours later, his wife takes it to go shopping and of course, it rained. Wish I would have known, I would have used #16 or 845 instead. :nixweiss
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    My personal view is that a straight wax does not need set up time. That said alot of waxes have polymers in them which could cause some longevity problems.

A sealant differs because they need set-up time. Sealants also seems to differ in the time needed. Zaino is stated to be fairly quick, whereas the Hi-Temp sealant, i was told, is 3 days. On long term sealant jobs i try to make sure it is out of the rain or water for 24 hours and not soap washed for 1 week.

Thread Information