Post Thanks / Like
    ... of what NOT to do?

It did come with a DVD that should explain most everything and I`ve been studying the discussion threads... but if anyone has a "don`t do what I did" :buffing: kind of suggestion, I would appreciate it.

It came with:

PC 7424

Sonus SFX-2

Sonus SFX-3

SFX-1 Restore Pad (Yellow) 6"

SFX-2 Enhance Pad (White) 6"

SFX-3 Final Finish Pad (Blue) 6"

6" Flexible backing Plate

6" MF Buffing Bonnet

I also picked up:

3.5" Flexible backing plate

SFX-2 Enhance Pad (White) 4"
    Thanks,

Spartacus_33

2005 BMW 545i (Jet Black/Black)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hold it securely. Do not let the body of the PC touch the car. Bad stuff right there.

-GT

Post Thanks / Like
    When they say "don`t start the PC until it`s on the surface" and "don`t remove the PC from the surface until it`s stopped" believe them.

Keep the pad as close to flat on the surface as possible.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the other pc
    When they say "don`t start the PC until it`s on the surface" and "don`t remove the PC from the surface until it`s stopped" believe them.

Keep the pad as close to flat on the surface as possible.

PC.
    I have read that it`s good to cover things in the immediate area as the PC can "sling" polish in a 6 foot radius. Is this true even with the PC being in contact with the paint?
    Thanks,

Spartacus_33

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you get the hang of it you won`t splatter much, if at all.

When first starting out I think we all tend to use too much product and sling everywhere. It`s a good idea to cover things until you`re comfortable with it.

I still find little dried specs of MPPC around my garage from years ago.

If you pick up the thing while running at speed you`ll sling the whole pad, probably farther than six feet too.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Next step is un-doing my Klasse/Carnuba treatment I did last month. I also thought I might as well clay the hood, roof and trunk while I`m at it.

I`m not going to use Dawn on my Jet Black paint..... do you suppose a normal washing is good enough before claying?

Will the carnuba and AIO be removed by claying?

Then get on with the polishing?

Finish with Klasse/Carnuba.
    Thanks,

Spartacus_33

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn is pretty useless for removing old wax, just wash as usual and, if you want, follow up with a paint cleaner (after claying). Any paint cleaner will remove old wax better than Dawn, Mequiar`s DC step 1 for example.

I`ve never noticed any reduction in wax from claying. If it does remove any it won`t be much.

Any cleaner or cleaner/polish is going to remove the old wax. If you`re planning on using a swirl removing polish you don`t need to worry about a separate cleaning step.

I haven`t tried AIO but since it`s a cleaner/polish/sealant I would think it would remove any old coating itself and you won`t need a separate cleaning step unless you`re looking to remove stubborn swirls. (Maybe somebody who uses it regularly can chime in.)

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the other pc
    Dawn is pretty useless for removing old wax, just wash as usual and, if you want, follow up with a paint cleaner (after claying). Any paint cleaner will remove old wax better than Dawn, Mequiar`s DC step 1 for example.

I`ve never noticed any reduction in wax from claying. If it does remove any it won`t be much.

Any cleaner or cleaner/polish is going to remove the old wax. If you`re planning on using a swirl removing polish you don`t need to worry about a separate cleaning step.

I haven`t tried AIO but since it`s a cleaner/polish/sealant I would think it would remove any old coating itself and you won`t need a separate cleaning step unless you`re looking to remove stubborn swirls. (Maybe somebody who uses it regularly can chime in.)

PC.
    I just wasn`t sure if clay would work over the top of carnuba and AIO, or if I had to somehow remove them first. Also wasn`t sure that if these layers weren`t completely removed (somehow) if the clay would get clogged up.

Perhaps the clay will pull any particles through the layers of AIO and carnuba....then the SFX-2 will remove the AIO and carnuba?
    Thanks,

Spartacus_33

Post Thanks / Like
    The actual volume of wax/sealant left behind after wiping off the dried carriers is microscopic. It couldn`t load up clay even if the clay could completely strip it.

If there were any little lumps of gunk on the paint and they got AIO/carnauba over the top of them the clay will still pull them right off, no problem.

Yup, SFX-2 will definitely remove the old AIO/carnauba.

PC.

Thread Information