Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone.

I`ve been into detailing (a little) for a while, always using a few Autoglym products. My car always looks fairly good as I use claybar and properly prep the paint before polishing.

Anyway, I was wondering where to go after this? I think Autoglym is OK, but their Super Resin Polish creates too much dust IMO and I wouldn`t mind trying something else.

Bearing in mind that I`m in the UK, I have access to Meguiars, Poorboys World and Wolfgang products. I don`t want to spend Ă‚£000s so be kind I`m happy with Autoglym wash for now. I was thinking of getting some Megs ScratchX as I`ve heard good reviews (and Autoglym Paint restorer is not that great). Please recommend me a polish/wax system.

Also, my main difficulty is drying the car properly. I DO dry the car, but water always sticks around in trim gaps - how can I deal with this?

Many thanks :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia.

If the Super Resin is dusting you need to apply it thinner.

You cant go wrong with Meguiars, Poorboys, or Wolfgang, all work really well and are easily available in the UK, plus a host off other makes, P21s, Pinnacle or Clearkote. As to which to use really comes down to personal preference, car colour and and where it is kept IMO. Any information you can give us on that will help choose you a good package. I use a mixture off all off the above to get the best results, mix and match.

A good alternative to AG SRP is Klasse AIO or Carlack 68.

For drying a good waffle weave drying towel is a must, and a can of compressed can be usefull to remove any trapped water.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Rich, it sounds as if you are using to much Resin, this is even more critical with the Extra Gloss if you use it.

In addition to Rich`s suggestion how about One Grand Glaze and Blitz wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

As the guys have already said, it`s a bit of mix `n` match that works for most people. I`ve used Klasse AIO a lot and have just started using Poorboy`s Polish with Carnauba - both are very good products.

I would have to say (before anyone else does) start saving for a P.C. - the results are like comparing Dial-up with Broadband!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for disturbing, but I wonder where in UK can you order Wolfgang?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Car is a Comet Blue Civic (1997) with a couple of dings Otherwise in good condition Its a fairly light blue - metallic - ie it has a clearcoat. Couple of bits on it need tidying, a nasty stonechip on the front and a little bubbling (almost minute) on one of the rear arches but otherwise there aren`t any problems. FWIW car is kept outside all the time. I hope to get it in the garage occasionally but assume this won`t happen :nervous:

I`ll try applying less SRP but I don`t really add too much IMO, just a haze - certainly not great globs of the stuff!

The problem for me is that I`d like `better` than I have but I don`t know which way to turn!

Other thing is that I`ve been using Autoglym Vinyl polish for a while, and it`s great inside, but it`s useless on the outside trim (I have unpainted plastic) so what do you suggest for this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Exterior trim, textured - Autoglym bumper care gel. Smooth - 1Z Vinyl -Rubber Care and Protectant "Tiefenpfleger".

On a light Blue Car, my choosen process on my own car was.

http://www.pughosting.co.uk/205GTIRe...ipage/xsi.html

Favoured process in the end was AG SRP, Clearkote Vannilla Moose, Poorboys EX-p and top with P21s or the origional Poorboys Nattys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter D
    Welcome!

I would have to say (before anyone else does) start saving for a P.C. - the results are like comparing Dial-up with Broadband!

Got to agree with Peter here, we both got are PC`s earlier this year at the same sort off time, I had put off getting one for years, and kick myself now for not bothering! Well, well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome to my favourite site

To me lately, Autoglym seems to have dropped a fair bit in quality.

Tryed some of their samples at a car show and not impressed, plus they were asking over fifty dollars for a polish that didn`t stack up to 29-38 dollar 1 litre menzerna

I still love their bodyshop 07B vinyl and rubber restorer jam though.

While PC`s can`t level paint like a rotary, it`s a great tool for those who would rather choose a safer option or hate hand polishing for some reason.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    RichT - thats beautiful! Something to aspire to

I do intend getting some sort of machine like a PC, so I have started saving! Are there any alternatives at all? I`ve seen people mention Makitas and DeWalts. Not that I`m against the PC at all, but I wouldn`t mind seeing whats available!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers. That was all by hand BTW, pre PC days!

Reading on here both seem worthy contenders to use. Out off the two I have Only used the Makita

The Makita is a good option as with a forced rotation function it can provide a rotary action too. I was able to try both that and a PC at a Machine polishing day run by a fellow UK user on here AndyC and a few others, but I plumped for the PC in the end as it seemed to run at lowers speeds IIRC and was a smaller machine, and backing plates etc were easy to get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough, sounds like I need to get a PC then. More money! LOL!

I think I`m going to go with some Poorboys nattys and some SSR2 for the swirls. I`ll post pics once I`ve had chance to do the car

Post Thanks / Like
    Look foward to the pics, only just got some SSR 2 and only used it by PC so far, test in a discreet area first as I have seen threads where SSR 2.5 had marred paint by hand. Not sure if the same has occured with the SSR 2.

A folded terry towel is a good method for swirl removal by hand. Gives better even pressure and moer bit than a foam applicator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.

I`ve ordered some Nuttys wax and some EX-P sealant. Was advised that AG SRP was fairly similar in terms of use to the SSRs so I`ll use up SRP before getting some SSR!

All these acronyms!! LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information