Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my first post, grate place, and I am glad I found it

I did a lot of reading about detailing lately (here and elsewhere), but I have not done any serious job on any of my cars (washed at least once a week clan inside do windows condition leather wax my previous cars – but only with NuPolish). I have Graphite Pearl Honda Accord Coupe with almost no scratches (Has not been waxed yet). I am looking first for durability and than for looks J I DON’T want to add any scratches. Car needs to be CLEAN and protected, always was.

I have:

PC, Sonus DAS pads kit, Sonus Total Eclipse, Plexus Plastic Polish, Mequiar’s Deep Crystal Polish Step 2, Meguiar`s NXT Car Wash, Mothers Instant Detailer, Mothers Clay, Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay, Collinite’s 845 and 476, only 4 foam applicators and more than enough micro-fiber towels.

My plan:

1)Wash with dove (I don’t think I have any wax left but wellâ€)

2)Clay

I have two clays which one would be better for first timer, also I don’t have any lubricant –should I go with dove or NXT water mixture? What ratio should I use?

3)Wash with NXT and dry

4)Mequiar’s Deep Crystal Polish Step 2

I want to use PC to apply polish, use micro-fiber towel to wipe off, it would be first time, which pad should I use DAS blue or green, Is it OK to use green since I`d like to save blue for wax application. Which speed should I use 4,5? Not many scratches should I use foam?

5)Wash with NXT and dry (do I need to wash at this point)

6)Apply Collinite’s 845 with PC wipe off by hand.

Which speed is good 2,3? Which pad - blue? Can I apply Collinite in sun – I read it needs to dry before removal? Apply on the whole car than wipe off? Or WOWO?

7)Wash with NXT and Dry (don`t wash let it cure)

8)Apply Collinite’s 845 after 24 hrs

I have to do it right :hairpull , and this is grate place to get me on the right track.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have the Sonus pads, so I can`t comment on pad selection. However, you really don`t need to wash the car first with Dove. Your polishing will get rid of whatever wax is left on the car. I`d simply wash the car with the NXT Car Wash, rinse, clay using a small batch of NXT car wash in a spray bottle as lube, wash again with NXT, rinse, and dry.

For any kind of polishing by PC, use a speed of 4 to spread the polish around on the paint (no more than a 2` x 2` area). Then kick the speed up to 5-6 for the real work. You`ll see a world of difference in PC speed between 5 and 6, so just experiment and find what you`re comfortable with.

No need to do your step 5 (wash with NXT and dry) as your paint should already be squeaky clean after the polish.

The Collinite 845IW will definitely fit your durability requirement, and it`ll look good too :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs I`d use a speed of 4 on the PC (that`s what I`ve used with CMW and UPP) but perhaps others who`ve applied IW by PC can chime in with their technique.

Don`t wash the car (step 7) right after you`ve applied the wax (step 6). Wash the car before you do the 2nd coat of wax (step 8) so that you`re not waxing over a dirty surface.

That should get you started ...
    Tom, 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Toml

Is it ok to polish in the sun with 845 do I apply wax on whole car let it dry and than remove? I read that Mothers Instant Detailer or any detailer can be used, as a lub for claying, is it true? A lot of autopia forum members that use PC to apply the wax suggest low speed 2 or 3, I am still not sure about which pad to use :nervous2:

hm is it the right part of the forum to post questions like mine?

Post Thanks / Like
    tlak- Welcome to Autopia!

Yeah, I`d skip the Dove and just use the NXT wash. The Mother`s Instant Detailer should work with the Mother`s clay and you`ll probably find the green Sonus clay too mild for what you`re doing anyhow (I`d get some of the proper Glyde lubricant for it).

Note that the Deep Crystal Step #2 is nonabrasive. No real point in using a speed higher than 3-4 since it won`t be mechanically removing any marring anyhow (though it should hide a little of the finer stuff). If you want to use the Deep Crystal line I`d also use their Step #1 cleaner first; it`ll remove any residue from the clay. It`s nonabrasive too.

I wouldn`t apply the wax or the polish in the sun. But I`d sure inspect the vehicle in the sun before applying the wax to make sure it`s the way you want it. I haven`t used the 845 much (preferring the 476S) so I`ll let somebody else comment on how long to let it set up. But put it on *thin*. Use your softest pad (blue) to apply wax. I use speed 4 for wax application but you could go slower.

And yeah, the Autopia University forum is the right place for this Q :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Accumulator

Should I apply Deep Crystal by hand, I have only one blue pad, do you think green would be ok for polish. Is there a lot of residue after clay - just don;t know what to expect. When you apply wax do you cover whole car and wipe or go in sections. I have 476 its a paste so I was thinking it may be a little difficult to do as a first time. Also, do you let 476 dry?

thanks good tips

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tlak
    Should I apply Deep Crystal by hand?

Yeah, it should go fine/easy by hand as long as you don`t use too much. Just follow the directions on the bottle (except I`d use foam to apply and MF to remove).

Is there a lot of residue after clay - just don;t know what to expect.

Depends, I don`t get much but others do. If you`re not experienced with claying I`d plan on having some residue to deal with, better safe than sorry.

When you apply wax do you cover whole car and wipe or go in sections. I have 476 its a paste so I was thinking it may be a little difficult to do as a first time. Also, do you let 476 dry?

I apply 476S to maybe three panels and then go back and remove from the first one. Apply to a few more and then remove another, etc. etc. *DO NOT* put it on thick or it can be a pain to buff off!! No way to over-emphasize that. It dries pretty much before I buff it off but it`s not like I let it set up while I apply to the whole vehicle either. I`d say it`s *almost* dry when I buff it off, so close that most would say "it`s dry". If you let it set up too long it can be tough to buff off too. Sorta a fine line, but try the panel-by-panel approach and you should be OK if you put it on thin. The 845 Insulator Wax isn`t nearly as finicky, BTW. But put *it* on thin too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Accumulator

Don`t want to sound like a broken record, would it make sense to use green pad (or pad which came with PC ) with polish?

I think I will go with hand application but I may try PC as well (wanna save blue for wax)

I have Sonus Enhance Polish (got it free - when I bought bunch of stuff here) is it equivalent to Mequiar’s Deep Crystal Polish Step 2?

:hide: Accumulator = car battery or collector???

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t want to sound like a broken record, would it make sense to use green pad (or pad which came with PC ) with polish? ..I have Sonus Enhance Polish (got it free - when I bought bunch of stuff here) is it equivalent to Mequiar’s Deep Crystal Polish Step 2?

I won`t be of much help this time as a) I`m not familiar with the Sonus pads, and b) not familiar with the Sonue Enhance either.

But I would *NOT* use the pad that comes with the PC for anything automotive related. I`d either pitch it or use it for something around the house like your shower doors. It`s not soft enough for automotive paint.

Accumulator = car battery or collector???

Heh heh, haven`t heard the "car battery?" one before

"Accumulator" comes from- Oft-asked Q: "Do you collect cars?" Answer: "Nah, I just accumulate them".

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Accumulator

You mention about Step #1 paint cleaner after claying, would use of it be for cleaning clay residue and/or just for additional paint cleaning. I am guessing it would do both in this situation. I planned my detailing over next weekend and I can`t find Step 1 in any of local stores any alternative - something available at AutoZone, pepboys.

Thanks again Accumulator

P.S. Can anyone comment on my Sonus green use with polish in my situation?

Post Thanks / Like
    You mention about Step #1 paint cleaner after claying, would use of it be for cleaning clay residue and/or just for additional paint cleaning. I am guessing it would do both in this situation. I planned my detailing over next weekend and I can`t find Step 1 in any of local stores any alternative - something available at AutoZone, pepboys.

Yeah, I`d expect it to do both, just a general "getting it even cleaner" sort of thing.

I`m not to helpful with OTC stuff as I order almost everything I use online. I`m surprised you can`t find the Step #1 stuff though as I *do* see that in our local autoparts store. Not sure about alternatives, sorry. Something that sounds the same from Mother`s would be a good option, but I dunno beyond that.

If you`re planning for next week you could probably order something and have it in time. See what others recommend too...

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest I just checked two stores for it...including the one I got step 2 :think:

How do you apply paint cleaner is it liquid or paste. I read that Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is strictly chemical cleaner, so is it wowo type of procedure? Use foam applicator or PC and MF to wipe off?

:grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest I just checked two stores for it...including the one I got step 2 :think:

How do you apply paint cleaner is it liquid or paste. I read that Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is strictly chemical cleaner, so is it wowo type of procedure? Use foam applicator or PC and MF to wipe off?

If you`re committed to going the Meguiar`s Deep Crystal route, you should call a couple more auto stores. You`re bound to run into one that is able to get it if they don`t have it on hand. You might also want to check Walmart, Target, and KMart if you have them in your area.

After a quick look at their website, it also looks like Mothers (another readily available OTC product) has a similar 3 step system. Their California Gold pre-wax cleaner seems to do the same thing as Meg`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, so you might want to try that if you can`t find the Meg`s Paint Cleaner.

In terms of procedure, you might also want to ask your question on the Meguiar`s forum. Not saying that someone here can`t answer your question ... but the Meg`s forum is specifically about Meg`s products.
    Tom, 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip toml

I just found some info on Meg`s forum regarding cleaner application, wowo with soft foam applicator or MF I don`t think it needs to be worked in.

Post Thanks / Like
    My plan (revised):

1) Wash with NXT

2) Clay with Mothers Clay and Mothers Instant Detailer as a lubricant (use fair amount) - wipe of with MF

3) Mequiar Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner Step 1 apply with soft foam pad and wipe of with MF use WOWO method (use PC ? hm don`t have enough pads )

4) Mequiar’s Deep Crystal Polish Step 2 - use PC with green Sonus DAS Pad (spray pad twice with detailer ) speed 3 to 4 wipe of with MF do 2x2 area at the time left to right up and down till polish is gone.

5) Apply Collinite’s 845 - use PC with blue Sonus DAS Pad speed 2 to 3, wipe off by hand

cover 3 car panels with wax and than wipe of one (same application method as polishing)

After 24h

7) Wash with NXT and Dry

8)Apply Collinite’s 845 as #5

9) Have a cold one or two

I`m gonna do it on Saturday it should be about 78 and sunny (too hot?) so I will do it in the garage (out of direct sun), any other suggestions. I`m still not sure about PC (speeds and all that - read a lot but.....) and I hope it will not be difficult. What I read it looks like Meg’s (step 1 and 2) products is wipe on wipe off application and they don’t need to dray.

Post Thanks / Like
    :woohoo:

sorry

:woohoo:

anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information