Post Thanks / Like
    I am badly in need of a real detail. I had one scheduled with GSRstilez but I had to cancel cuz I just got laid off from my job.

In the meantime, should I was the car with some off the shelf Turtle Wax that my dad has at home?

I don`t have claybar, PC, or anything. Just some car wash stuff he got from Pep Boys and some Turtle Wax.

Will waxing ith without having the paint properly clayed and polished be bad for the paint?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a good idea to clay before you wash because it gets rid of all sorts of contaminants on the paint leaving it squeeky clean. This enhances the result of a good polish and wax... or even a crap wax.

In your situation I`d say still go out and buy clay because it makes a lot of difference (especially if the car hasnt been clayed for a long time).... wash the car a few times first to ensure claying will be easier and make your bars last longer. After that just use the cheap Turtle Wax you already have... it wont last a long time like the more professional syntetic polymer waxes/sealents but it will protect your paint.

Turtle Wax High Gloss was quite a good product... I was using it when I was on a budget at the start of the year. Now it`s Klasse AIO followed by Natty`s Wax. This combo last a long time

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, forgetting any Autopian behavior, one of the most important things you can do is to wash your car frequently. This helps to remove any contaminants before they can eat into the paint, and the more frequently you (carefully) wash, the less "stuff" is on the finish to cause wash-induced marring. If you are strapped for cash/experience, I would highly recommend you just use your dad`s stuff.

Just be gentle, if the car is really dirty you may need to wash it twice. Make sure you have clean mitts/pads and drying towels, and use the two-bucket method. If your dad has some cleaner wax, that will work nicely after you have washed the car thoroughly. Just be careful about getting the cleaner wax on any rubber or textured plastic trim.

Read this if you have questions: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html, and remember that frequent care, process, and technique are more important than whether you have "boutique" products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well put!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, Setec Astronomy`s advice is right on the money. Better to do what you can than to leave it unprotected. It`s not like cars weren`t decently taken care of in the days before clay and high-tech sealants. I`ve known people who kept their cars *very* nice for many years with just cleaner wax and frequent washing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would spring for the claybar, it will make a noticeable difference. Just get one of the clay kits at Autozone or Pepboys.

The clay won`t polish the paint, but it will leave you with a smooth as glass surface ready to be sealed.

Work that Turtle wax for all it`s worth, and you`ll get some decent results.

Bottom line is, you car is going to look better than it did before you started.

Thread Information