Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I`ve got the Sonus SFX pad and PC kit from Autopia.

I`m sure i read somewhere that i should only really use the buffing bonnets with the blue pad, but I found that it ended up soiling the bonnets until they were quite damp and unusable for buffing :-(

My question is, it it safe/okay to use the bonnets with the freebie white pad that comes with the PC?

Also how does everyone buff their car? after applying product to the whole car or panel by panel?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t use the microfiber bonnets at all. You should be polishing your car with the foam by itself, and if you want to sue the bonnets, then use them for product removal only, like waxes and stuff.

The white pad that comes with the PC is trash. Put in the box and forget about it. The pads you purchased with the Sonus kit are awesome, it just takes a little bit to learn how to use everything.

Now, before we get into how to do what, what are you actually trying to do? What *products* are you referring to?

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW fast reply!

I struggle to remove the products with the foam pad, as I`ve only got the 3 (yellow white and blue) and I use them to apply with!

I am only using the bonnets to remove, but I found they were useless after 2-3 panels as they`d soaked up product from the pad I`d put them over!

My thought was to just use the crappy free pad just to put the bonnets over and avoid the soaking up product issue!

I`m just trying to get my car as shiny as possible :-) my 1st attempt is here

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....8&page=1&pp=12

The products I`ve got so far are

Meguires Golds class

Meg NXT

Meg Step1

Meg Step2

plus a load of ancillary stuff glass cleaner, leather cleaner interior detailor etc.

If you`ve any reccomendations for stuff to replace, improve on I`d love to know, I`ve no particular affinity to meg`s stuff :-)

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh, ok. The bonnets should only be used over a clean, dry pad.

I use the white pad that came with my PC. A firmer pad, such as a cutting pad, is said to work better but I haven`t tried that yet.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am seeing where you are headed now. Your product choices are fine, but your process needs some work.

First of all, the Meg`s polishes need to be *worked in*, not *applied*. They won`t do anything if you just apply them. You should start off with a polishing pad. Your yellow pad is the most aggressive pad, so start with that one and your most aggressive polish....step 1? Not sure because I haven`t used these particular polishes by Meg`s. Anyway, start off by putting a little polish on your foam pad (dry) and rub it in, this is called *priming* the pad. Next, put your PC on speed 4 and start working the polish in a very small 2ft x 2ft area on a single panel. You should be moving the PC VERY slowly, and I mean at a snail`s pace. Use linear motions and overlap your passes. Once you get going and the polish has been pretty well spread out, put a little bit more polish on your pad and this time bump your speed up to 5. This is where you are going to stay throughout the entire polishing process, or until a fresh pad is placed on the PC and needs to be primed again.

Now that you have successfully primed your pad, start working 2x2 areas until the polish either disappears or you start to see dust. If either occurs, stop polishing, wipe off any excess with a microfiber towel and inspect the panel. If you are happy with how it looks, then move on to the next 2x2 area, and repeat until the entire car is full polished. On the other hand, if you are not happy with the results, then polish it again, and repeat as necessary.

After you finish with Step 1, then move to your Step 2 polish with the white polishing pad, and use the same process as above, starting with priming your pad.

Very little product should be used. Once the pad is primed, and you are working the polish in until it`s gone, all that should be needed to keep you going is a small ring around the pad, or even less. If you find the polish never drying and it keeps smearing around, you are using too much, back off.

I don`t see any reason why you would need the bonnets during this process. You shouldn`t have much of any product left on your paint after polishing to be removed, all that`s needed is one mf towel.

Okay, now that your car is completely polished, it`s time to make it pretty with NXT. Use your blue finishing pad, except this time *apply* it over the whole car very slowly, using linear motions, on speed 4 to 4.5. This isn`t a polish, just a light paint cleaner with a protectant, so working it in like the polishes isn`t necessary. After you apply the NXT over the entire car, let it sit for about 15 minutes and then either remove it with a mf towel, or put one of your mf bonnets over a dry pad (yes, your factory white pad can be used here), to remove it. If you decide to use the bonnet over a pad, keep your PC around speed 4.

I hope this helps a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that helps LOTS thanks!

hope the weathers good this w/e :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here. I have six details planned starting tomorrow, so I hope the weather gods work with me a little bit. You know, 75 degrees, overcast, that sort of thing. YEAH RIGHT!! LOL. Shucks, I`m just hoping for no rain at this point.

Anyway, when you get a chance, click on the "learn!" tab at the very top of the page. It will direct you to some very good info, along with a link to download the Guide To Detailing Ebook, which is worth it`s weight in gold.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!! :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got the detailing book thingy, it came on CD with my PC some of the stuff doesn`t seem that obvious though unless you`ve done it all before, and/or got ALL the kit! Will check out the the link aswell

thanks for the help again, I think checking the weather that this sat is gonna be friendly to me, YAY! Hope it if for you too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks JD, I`ve been using the "applied" method for Megs #7 also. So does the above also work for the #9 as well? And do you recommend using #7 on top of #9?

Post Thanks / Like
    JD`s process advice is priceless. Follow it.

One further suggestion: I use a microfiber towel by hand in linear strokes to quickly remove most of the wax residue. Only after this do I turn to the bonnet on the PC to buff the rest off. I have found this to result in a beautiful final shine. This also avoids mucking up the bonnet, since most of the wax residue gets removed by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    Thanks JD, I`ve been using the "applied" method for Megs #7 also. So does the above also work for the #9 as well? And do you recommend using #7 on top of #9?
    Yes, work #9 (Swirl Remover) just like I described above, and you can certainly put #7 (ShowCar Glaze) on top of it to further hide any imperfections that are left. Since #7 is a glaze, you would do better by applying vs. working it in, like you are already doing. :xyxthumbs

Thread Information