Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

ive only done my car like twice with this pad.. and the back glue looks like its coming off.. now both of my polishing pads are like this... :angry its a propel pad

:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    No they should not. There seems to be alot of this going around with various manufactuers pads.

If you`ve just got em, call up who you brought them from and tell them you want new ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had my propels for a couple of months already and have used them quite a bit but that hasn`t happened to mine.

It was probably a defective pad. Email Patrick, I`m sure he`ll send you a replacement.
    "...it is important never to forget where u all came from - becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place - de punani." -ali g

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You Sir need a refund.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Let`s start from the beginning before jumping to conclusions. What were you doing when you noticed this happen? What product were you using? How much pressure are you applying while polishing? What speed? How do you clean your pads?

There is a logical explanation for this, we just have to find it so this doesn`t happen again to you.

I had the same thing happen to me when I first started using the PC, and found out that I was using WAY too much pressure which caused the backing plate to dig into the pad and destroy it just like yours. I`ve also seen pics of pads like this after they have been put through the washing machine, and also noticed that thicker polishes can really create a lot of friction between the pad and the backing plate, thus requiring a stiffer pad to avoid destruction. That blue pad is very delicate and is meant for very thin stuff, usually LSP or glaze applications.

Post Thanks / Like
    the way the foam came apart looks like to much pressure
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing lots of this happening lately.
    Good things are not cheap, and cheap things are seldom good !

Post Thanks / Like
    i had it on the 6 speed..i was appling pressure but not roughly or anything...using ssr 2.5.. i noticed the pad seemed to be orbiting differently.. like it wasnt on the machine so i turned it off and the white part was still stuck on it but the pad was hanging off. trying to remember .. it started moving wierdly when i was going over edges.. when the pad was not completely flat at all times..

i wash them in the sink by putting soap on them then getting them wet and squeezing the water out.

Post Thanks / Like
    There isn`t anything your doing wrong, the probelm (like Rollman is stating) is that more and more pads from different vendors/manufacuters are showing this defect.

And that`s what it is a defect. So contact the place you brought it and either get it replaced or a refund.

Everyone knocks me for using 3M pads or a few others that I don`t being sold on-line but are offered at the Auto Supply Store I shop at.

While they may not be all fancy shamancy they don`t fall apart either.

Post Thanks / Like
    #6 speed will kill pads, I`ve seen it. I run mine at a maximum of 5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000firebird
    i had it on the 6 speed..i was appling pressure but not roughly or anything...using ssr 2.5..

There is the likely reason right there. You are using a light polishing pad(glaze, VM, RMG etc.) with what is pretty close to a compound on speed 6. I`m with Jason in saying that this is pad abuse.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Seen it a lot, done it a few times. The PC is a real pad killer. Rotaries are a lot easier on pads. Ever since I switched to a Makita, I haven`t burned up a pad. Neither has my cyclo, although it is also a dual action machine. I have no theories as to why the PC is a pad killer and the cyclo isn`t, I used LC pads on both.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`m with the others... a PC and speed 6 is frequently a bad combo. I only ever go to 5. Above that the pad distorts and rather than transfering energy to the paint, it absorbs it in the pad leading to natural destruction.

Also as been stated, the blue pad is a finishing pad, not polishing. As such it needs to be treated gently and never above 5. The reason is that the foam is too soft - some firmer polishing pads can handle the abuse of a PC on 6, but when you get to the soft foams you have back off the speed and pressure.

Sorry we don`t have better news for you.

As a rule of thumb, don`t use SSR2.5 with anything softer than green pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Note: One of the reasons you are seeing this across multiple vendors is because from what I have read and understand, pad manufactures are like clay. There are only 2 or 3 foam producers and it sold to everyone else who then cuts the pads different and adhere a velcro backing.

As for the attached pic, that is definitely not the vendor`s issue. The wear on that pad is excessive. In my opinion, it`s a result of aggressive use and potentially pad washing. People need to understand that pads are not meant to be washed! Meguiars and other vendor`s have continually stated that and yet users continue to do so.

If you do, you have to understand that it can lead to premature pad failure. Especially on the velcro contact to the pad. Also, from my experience and haven since a lot of pictures, I believe washing can also deterioate your pads very quickly.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the pad is only used a few times there is no way this can be excessive wear or aggressive use of the pad. Further if the pads are not meant to be operated at 6 on your PC, then the vendor should state that fact. show a picture of the front that will show any aggressive use of the pad, the one in the post is the back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information