Thread: Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, i have been using zaino now for over a year, but came to realize something the other day, it provides a great shine, but for a daily driver, it is just not practical. It rains every other week, and i work at a power plant so i am always washign my truck. What would be a good polish/wax combo with slight fillers that i can use week to week, and looks good?

Usually i buff the entire truck once a year to take out swirls.

Any recomendations on buffing pads? i use a portercable variable speed rotary.

Thansk for any input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8renigma
    Hey, i have been using zaino now for over a year, but came to realize something the other day, it provides a great shine, but for a daily driver, it is just not practical. It rains every other week, and i work at a power plant so i am always washign my truck. What would be a good polish/wax combo with slight fillers that i can use week to week, and looks good?

Thansk for any input.

NXT Tech Wax or AOI topped with Collinite`s 845W or 476S, nothing will beat its toughness or durability.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Longhaul Truck Wax on my daily driver with excellent results (Scottwax has tried it with good results also). Easy to apply with a pc and finish pad and easy to remove. Does have a strong petroleum smell though...but works well.

Longhaul seems to last for several weeks and retains gloss + beading. I got a bottle at Advance Auto for $14 and do a couple of customer`s daily drivers with this product.
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like

Thansk for any input.

Maybe it`s just me, but I don`t exactly understand why the Zaino isn`t working for you. I would have thought it`s combined durability and looks would be what you would need for the type of environment you described above. Could you elaborate any more on your reasons to ditch the Z?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t get me wrong, i LOVE zaino, its just that, the environment that my truck is in on a daily basis puts a hurting on the paint, and i need something that can hide some of the scratches i get. I work down by an industrial park, and as such get alot of tar and crap on my paint that i have to use harsher solutions on that will remove the zaino, and i don`t feel like re-mixing/applying z2&z5 every time. When i get the whole truck re-painted, and it looses its daily driver status, i will use zaino continuously. Right now i am looking at less costly options to maintaining a clean looking finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    sk8renigma--Thanks for clarifying. I agree with EdLancer`s recommendations. Although, while I found that Collinite 476S is very durable I didn`t think it released dirt from the finish after a rain as well as P21S. But, the 476S will outlast P21S by about 4-5:1. Might be worth a try to use some OCW over the Collinite as it is very easy to apply and by itself will last upwards of 3 months, maybe more.

I`m in a similar situation as you in that my daily driver lives in a chemical plant that has it`s own electrical generating facility on site and everything is next to railroad yards. Talk about industrial fallout. I`m always looking for something more durable that requires minimal upkeep. Especially since we`ve had rain nearly everyday for 3+ weeks.

I`ve just orderd some Glare Polish and am considering trying their Glare Spider (glaze) if I like the polish. Recent discussions give it a durability around 9 months and supposedly it is better than Z at preventing waterspots. I`m going to give a try just to see. Can`t help myself, I just like to experiment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the best place to buy said products?

Post Thanks / Like
    Where is the best place to buy said products?

The Collinite/Optimum can all be bought here--http://www.pakshak.com/new-products.html

Unfortunately, the Glare is kind of pricey. The entire Glare line is available from www.autopolish.net, but I got just the polish for ~$15 cheaper from here https://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.a...D&ProdID=29301

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, Now for the buig Q, How well will this combo compare to the zaino?

Post Thanks / Like
    For your situation NXT. Mild cleaning, good filling, locally available, easy to use, good appearance and if applied every few weeks should be adequate protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glare - It must be owned by relatives of PT Barnum.

Are they kidding with those prices?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, Now for the buig Q, How well will this combo compare to the zaino?

Yes, that is the $64,000 question. I can`t directly compare because I`ve never tried the Zaino. The look of Collinite 476S has been described as less of a beauty look wax than something like P21S. Although, I have seen people post pics that did look quite nice using it. I believe the IW may have more glow when compared to the 476S. Neither will have the bright crisp look with sharp reflections like the Z. The OCW is a carnauba polymer blend that when applied over a sealant will definitely "warm up" the look.

As always, a good looking combo varies from user to user and their requirements for durability, gloss, reflecton, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    So AOI to clean up the paint,(its already pretty clean from 2 years of Z) then NXT, and possible a carnuba on top?

Like i said, i love the Z, even purchase some of the new cleaning compound, but for right now, until i get my beater running, its too much work to have to de-tar the truck, mix the z and apply. I also don`t like the idea of layering on top of oxidation. Thanks to all for the information.

That is one thing i loved about the z, the shine. I will go back soon.

Thread Information