Post Thanks / Like
    I use Mother`s Spray Wax when I dry my car after a wash. (The directions says I can.) So, it actually acts as a better `Wax-As-You-Dry` product by Eagle One, in my experience. You just have to buff off any hazing, and it`s pretty easy.

So, you could probably guess my question... I want to try Collinite Insulator Wax as I would Mother`s Spray Wax. Has anyone tried it? My guess is the wax is too thick to be put into a spray bottle. Does anyone have a suggestion for a sprayer? I think I will just dab a nickel of it on my drying cloth for each panel that I dry.

I`m gonna add a layer of Collinite 476 this weekend, then next weekend, I`ll try the Insulator Wax. So I`ll let you know in two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never tried, because I don`t think it`d work very well, but good luck to you and let us know your findings when you`ve tried it out for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a pretty heavy wax, I doubt that it will work too well. It might if you find some sort of solvent to cut it down with. If you can`t get it to work, I`d suggest looking into Optimum. Its WAUD........except good .
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    Its a pretty heavy wax, I doubt that it will work too well. It might if you find some sort of solvent to cut it down with. If you can`t get it to work, I`d suggest looking into Optimum. Its WAUD........except good .

Thanks for the replies. I checked out this Optimum, looks pretty good. I`m wondering if I can use if over a layer of Collinite 476?

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    could you dilute some of the Collinite into the Mothers Spray Wax, so you could receive some of the benefits as possibly a booster wax???
    Maple Red Metallic 2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula

17x9.5 and 17x11 TT2`s

Catback, lid, STB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW645
    Thanks for the replies. I checked out this Optimum, looks pretty good. I`m wondering if I can use if over a layer of Collinite 476?

thanks.

Sure you can. OCW can be used over anything--pure carnauba, polymer sealant, cleaner wax, etc. I`d definitely recommend the OCW over trying some homemade concoction like diluting the IW with a solvent. The solvent may end up stripping more of your previous wax layers than actually helping to build up any wax at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chml17l
    Sure you can. OCW can be used over anything--pure carnauba, polymer sealant, cleaner wax, etc. I`d definitely recommend the OCW over trying some homemade concoction like diluting the IW with a solvent. The solvent may end up stripping more of your previous wax layers than actually helping to build up any wax at all.

How good is it as a stand alone wax?

I`m not so worried about optics, as I am protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    Its WAUD........except good .

LOL, WAUD was never a favorite of mine either. If you used a product that was better than it, like Souveran, it brought the look down to WAUD quality.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    How good is it as a stand alone wax?

I`m not so worried about optics, as I am protection.
    Suffice to say there are many threads already on this. The OCW is more a sealant than a typcial spray wax product. Some have reported durability upwards of 3 months. Just do a search and you`ll find out more about the details.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mosca-what spray wax do you like better than WAUD? I personally like the WAUD on my NBM paint over a sealant. If there`s something you think looks better I`m open to experiment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like ANY of them. I don`t like the Meguiar`s spray wax, either. I like the NXT Booster Wax, but only when I`m using NXT and want to extend the life of the shine rather than wax with something else. I don`t think I`ve used it 10 times since NXT came out; I`ll just as often apply a different product.

I tried WAUD maybe 4 times, and Meg`s Spray wax twice. My feeling is that you can do all the layering, with Z and Souv and P21S and whatever, and once you use a spray wax it looks the same as if that was all you used.

Now, Stoner`s Speed Bead and Bead Max are a different story. Those are full strength products using an aerosol delivery system. The closest analog in appearance (to me) is Meguiar`s #20. They`re kinda neat. I wouldn`t search them out; but they work well, and if you have them they`ll look... well, like #20. Bright, hard shine, lots of reflection.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I`m gonna add a layer of Collinite 476 this weekend, then next weekend, I`ll try the Insulator Wax. So I`ll let you know in two weeks.

Couldn`t wait that long! Last night after work, I got out my relatively new California Dust buster and dusted my car. The brush left some oily residue all over my car, which I`m concerned about. Does anyone know what this is?

Well, it gave me an excuse to wash my car and try out Collinite Insulator Wax as a WAUD product. What I did was take a MF towel, fold it into a square, dabbed a dime to nickel size of Insulator wax per panel. And wiped my car to dry and wax it at the same time. Used two nickels for the front hood. The water actually helped spread the wax. It was easier to move my towel over the panels. Instead of that `tacky resistance` I would have gotten had my car been completely dry, my towel glided over pretty smoothly. In fact, I was able to spread the wax a lot thinner had I not used it.

This left a very light, barely noticeable haze all over my car once the car was dry. So, I took another drying MF towel, and buffed my car. About one or two swipes over the same area were enough to get rid of the hazing. The car looks spectacular and has that just wax look.

So, now it has the legendary durable Collinite on it!! Yee hoo.

I`m gonna try it again this weekend, and post some pictures for you. But my initial impressions are that it works. The next question is, does all that water affect the durability of the wax. I`ll keep you updated.

Post Thanks / Like
    So here`s some pictures. Just to summarize, I tried using Collinite Insulator wax as a wax as you dry product. Collinite insulator wax is a liquid version of collinite super double coat auto wax. The later is a non-liquid, `solid version` of the same thing. (This is according to an email-reply I got from Collinite a few months ago.) As you may or may not know, Collinite is known for it`s durability which exceeds alot of synthetic waxes, yet it`s a carnauba wax.)

Here`s a picture of my car, over a day after applying collinite insulator wax as an WAUD:

[It`s the first picture, in case this uploading doesn`t work.]

Anyways, notice, it`s not particularly deep, but again, I`m after durability, and fast application.

The next (3) pictures are after washing the car and drying it with the insulator wax. Notice the hazing, it`s barely noticeable. I had to come up close or use a very sharp angle just to see it. This means -to me- the insulator wax has been apply pretty darn thinly. (Which I read on this groups as a good thing.) It also means that buffing off the haze took at most 2 swipes:

The rest of the pictures are the result of the quick buffing that I did to remove the slight haze. The lighting was rather dim, so I had to put my camera on slow exposure for all of these shots. So, it`s a tad bit blurry. But, I think you get the idea. I`ll post some day time pictures tomorrow. As a story, I went to a local restaurant during the day, and parked my car across the road from the entrance. I was able to see the reflection of the people inside the restaurant on my car.

One more thing to add, I did add Insulator Wax the day before, and after washing my car, I could see some really tight, and close beads. This could also be from the underlying 476 (the Collinite double coat auto wax), but I doubt it. Why? Because the last time it rained, I don`t remember it beading this much.

I think the bottom line from all of this, is that the Insulator Wax does work as a WAUD product. In fact, I think it`s a darn good booster wax for your 476. However, time will tell. I`ll keep you updated on it.

The last picture is a picture of the Insulator wax and the microfiber towel I used to buff off the haze. It`s a Viking MicroFiber drying towel. I used 2. One for drying and applying wax, and the other for buffing. I folded the microfiber towel in the manner shown here for both towels.

The pictures I`ll submit will be spread over a few posts. Thanks for reading this thread. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    here`s a few more of the pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information