Post Thanks / Like
    So far I have been treating my clear bra just like paint, meaning I initially clayed and use Menzerna FPII on it, and plan to do so about once a year. This is basically against the manufacturers recommendations, but I didn`t see the harm in it.

My film is the 3M variety.

I received a message from a friend who is worried that the material is porous enough where clay will cause it to become hazy over time. Any grounds to his worries? With a mild clay and plenty of lube, it doesn`t seem to be an issue, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend of JustinTRW
    Justin,

The insert card for my starshield warns (among other things):

1. Do not use any abrasive or hard-compound waxes and/or polishes
    2. Do not use any clay products to clean the surface of your bra.

These warnings are probably due to the shield`s absorptive nature. Both the grit in some cleaner/waxes and the minute particle nature of clay (after drying) would build up in the pores of the shield. Too much particle build-up will result in cloudiness if not brittleness of the shield. Unlike tars, which can be dissoved chemically and then leached out, minerals are mostly insoluble and so harder to get out once lodged in the pores.

I wish I`d reread that card before two weeks ago when I used clay for the first time -- including on portions of my starshield.

What are the longterm effects of treating the starshield "just like paint"? I think special care to use waxes and polishes which have no cleaning grit in them must be taken. One can rub out grit-caused scratches in paint. One can`t remove grit from shield pores.

Those experience with clear bra material...what do you think? Manufacturers suggestions vs. what can actually be done are sometimes different things, due to manufacturers wanting to protect customers from themselves.

- J

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes many manufacturers must post up overly anal warnings and instructions but in this "lawsuit frenzied" world we live in this is now become common place to protect your *** ets!

While I have had no reason to clay clear bras I would guess that it could be done once or twice with no ill effect. I would not do so on an ongoing basis though, like every 6 weeks.

I have also used my Cyclo with microsuede bonnets and applied FPII to many clear bras and then waxed with OCW. I have also done this by hand but I only use FPII because of its very low abrasive properties and not having to worrk about residue building up.

Plexus also work nicely on clear bras. I have never really had a need to do more than use OCW or Plexus on the majority of clear bras that I have either installed or car I detail with the bras already on. Follow safe washing and drying procedures and this is all you should need to do on yours also.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Thread Information