Post Thanks / Like
    Never again will I make the mistake of letting someone else wax my car (unless I really know that they know their business). There is dried wax in places like the rain gutters around the rear glass and in between the paint and rubber weatherstripping.

I bought some of this stuff hoping that it would help me remove it:

It doesn`t work well at all. I spray it liberally on the area, then scrub with an old MF towel (or a Q-tip, if it`s a hard-to-reach area), but when the area dries you can see that it hasn`t done anything to remove the stubborn, dried wax. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similiar problem on a 308 GTB wax stuck in the funnest of places, and next to impossible to get out. What worked for me was a high pressure hose (powered), pulled 99% of the wax off the car and then I started from scratch.
    99 Aero 911

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kla-vlrp.html

VLRP and MR Clean Magic Eraser works everytime I garauntee it.

Post Thanks / Like
    WD-40 usually works very well at removing dried wax residue. It`s best to use it prior to washing your car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StormBringer
    I had a similiar problem on a 308 GTB wax stuck in the funnest of places, and next to impossible to get out. What worked for me was a high pressure hose (powered), pulled 99% of the wax off the car and then I started from scratch.
    I don`t have access to a pressure washer, but I`ll keep that in mind. It seems like it would work well in areas where it`s just paint (between body panels, for example), but I`d be worried about it damaging the weatherstripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Burlyq
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kla-vlrp.html

VLRP and MR Clean Magic Eraser works everytime I garauntee it.
    I guess you`re talking about on the (rubber) weatherstripping? I`ll give that a shot, but there`s also a decent amount on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just thought I`d show y`all what I`m dealing with. Click for a full-size version. Ignore the dead bug splatter in the second picture - I went for a drive this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d recommend trying some Klasse AIO on the wax spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chml17l
    I`d recommend trying some Klasse AIO on the wax spots.
    How should I use it, though? The real trouble spots are in hard-to-reach cracks where a buffing pad can`t get. I`ve had a little bit of success with clay in areas that are just slightly more accessible, but places like those pictured are tough.

Post Thanks / Like
    The pic showing the window... that`s not just wax, it appears that that section of the vehicle was repainted with a poor job of masking the rubber seal. I have a paint brush with the bristles cut really short for removal of imbedded wax. I wrap the metal part of the brush with masking tape so it will not scratch any painted surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo0903
    The pic showing the window... that`s not just wax, it appears that that section of the vehicle was repainted with a poor job of masking the rubber seal. I have a paint brush with the bristles cut really short for removal of imbedded wax. I wrap the metal part of the brush with masking tape so it will not scratch any painted surface.
    You are correct about the respray, but how can you tell? I`m just wondering what to look for in the future. (Edit: I guess I can see how you can tell - overspray, correct? Still, I`d appreciate any other comments).

I hadn`t thought about a paint brush like you described. I`ll have to pick one up the next time I`m out and give it a go. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (suggested above) actually did quite a bit to help in some areas, but there are other spots (like in that second picture I posted) that would probably benefit from a brush that can get in there.

Thanks to everyone who has helped out.

Post Thanks / Like
    you can tell it has been repainted as there is paint ON the rubber and not UNDER it. Its common for 90% of body shops to just mask off to paint the panel instead of taking out the window and rubbers and then painting, waiting until the pain is baked and then having someone come in and replace the windshield or windows if they dont have anyone in house. It also saves the car owner a pile of cash as they leave out all those steps.
    God I hope I don`t screw up the paint!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GroovinPickle
    How should I use it, though? The real trouble spots are in hard-to-reach cracks where a buffing pad can`t get. I`ve had a little bit of success with clay in areas that are just slightly more accessible, but places like those pictured are tough.

The paintbrush is a good idea. Also, try cutting down a q-tip cotton swab at an angle to get into the crevices. Maybe even a pipe cleaner dipped in the 3M adhesive remover or AIO.

Thread Information