Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

Helped a buddy do a detail on a black (cringe) Chrysler 300M on friday morning.

Did the proper preparation before swirl removal (clayed, Dawn`ed to remove all traces of old wax, etc.)

Use my PC with Lake Country pads.

He had already purchased SSR2, AIO, and was using Zaino as his LSP (Z5, Z2) with Z6 as his QD.

His car was very swirled before we started, and it did come a long way. Certainly all the minor swirls, etc. are gone, and it does look a million times better but there are still a number of tougher swirls we didn`t get out.

I also tried my 3M SMR on the hood to see if it could do any more, as I understand it is a bit more aggressive than the SSR2. Didn`t do that much better.

Any suggestions as to what we could use which is more aggressive than the 3M/SSR2 which may remove more of the swirls? He is pretty paranoid about the car, so of course he wants to be sure that we only use something as aggressive as to `just` get the job done.

So I am not sure what to go with next. Perhaps a more abrasive PB like SSR3??? Or how about something like DACP#83?

(note that it is easier for us to get Meg`s than 3M/PB, etc.)

As for the PC use, went over each are nice and slow, with speed around 5 - 5.5, and then did it again.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    DACP is probably a good next step. Follow it with #80, then wax. It should do the trick, without being too aggressive.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I may try that.

However, I have read that DACP seems to be along the same lines of abrasiveness as SSR2.5, so if that is the case, perhaps I might have him get that, since he already has the SSR2.0.

Decisions, decisions...

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also step up to SSR 2.5 as it is a fair bit more aggressive to the 2.0. If you like the Poorboys SSR line go for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richt
    I would also step up to SSR 2.5 as it is a fair bit more aggressive to the 2.0. If you like the Poorboys SSR line go for that.
    Sounds good to me.

Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran into the same problem with my gf`s black Focus this weekend. SSR 2.0 just woudn`t get it. Took out all the minor ones, but left the larger scratches-kind of like de-swirling it, but leaving the beginnings. The sides came out fine, but the horizontal surfaces were very swirled from taking it through an automatic wash. I think I`m going to get some 2.5 for the hood, roof and decklid.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that is it exactly.

The sides and stuff were fine, but the horizontal surfaces were the tough ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t go past all the menzerna products for swirl, haze and hologram (cringe) removal and the ability to compound and refinish paint without causing more swirls.

Sometimes I follow up with poorboys 1 or 2 or Sonus 3

Clearkote`s mooses - vanilla, red and yellow are superb finishing products before moving to sealants etc

Thread Information