Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of my first posts, so I hope I have the right area (be kind).

I just fully detailed my 99 Black GTP this weekend and I am pretty happy with the results. I used my PC for the first time with the Lake Country 7.5 Advance Pads from properautocare. I used the Orange Pad, White Pad, White Pad, and Red Pad with the Menzerna Intensive Polish, The Menzerna Final Polish II, BlackFire Polish, & BlackFire Finish Paint respectively.

As I said I am pretty happy with the results but some of the light scratches still remain. They are a lot less noticeable but still there. You can only see them if you look close directly into the paint but I know they are still there and I would like to get rid of them. From all that I have read, I know my choices are as follows but I am not sure which will work(or which combination). Please let me know what you guys thing.

Go with a more aggressive compound, say Poorboys 2.5

Go with a Yellow pad ( a 7.5†Advance Pad) but I know most say a yellow pad is too aggressive.

Go with a smaller pad, say a 4†Orange Pad. (my least favorite since I will have to switch backing plates)
    1999 Black 2D Pontiac GTP

Post Thanks / Like
    Some times and that`s for older scratches you have to use an aggressive polish. Sometimes with scratches people let sit for a long time I had to use 3m 3000 grit rubbing compound to get them out. BUT don`t try that. Best thing is to start with the less abrasive first (not including finishing polishes). Then work your way up to the aggressive. Take your time don`t rush to the most aggressive first. Might think it`s stupid for me to say it but man have I seen it alot.

I`ll let the Poorboy`s Users tell what to use on what.
    Long Live My Audi. She Will Dearly Be missed.

Visit My Gallery if you wish!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by audipower
    Best thing is to start with the less abrasive first (not including finishing polishes). Then work your way up to the aggressive. Take your time don`t rush to the most aggressive first.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Orange pad with the Intensive Polish about 4 times on my spoiler. Its definetly better and the scratches are not so noticeable BUT they are still there, so what would you suggest?

Post Thanks / Like
    7.5" pads are borderline useless via PC, IMHO. I use them via rotary once in a while, but the way to go with a PC is the 4" pads. Menzerna IP is a great polish, I use its big brother (Powergloss) on 70+% of my details. Try a 4" orange pad with IP, crank the PC to 6, and I think you`ll be p

P.S. I have a very similar black 2d GTP (1997). I HIGHLY suggest using Pinnacle Souveran. Ever since I switched to it, I have gotten comments left and right. Had one woman tell me that it looked like it had 15,000 miles on it (its got 109,000). It sounds like you`re doing your prep work right, so just add on 2 coats of Souveran, and get ready to see people stop and stare when you drive by.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    7.5" pads are borderline useless via PC, IMHO. I use them via rotary once in a while, but the way to go with a PC is the 4" pads. Menzerna IP is a great polish, I use its big brother (Powergloss) on 70+% of my details. Try a 4" orange pad with IP, crank the PC to 6, and I think you`ll be p

By the way were do you get the Powergloss from and how much more cutting power does it have over the IP? THanks. I guess when I do my next full detail, I`ll have to try the 4" Orange pad - I just hate the idea of having to switch backing plates but I guess its not too big of a deal.

By the way I love the Advance pads its so much better then just flat pads, IMO, even though I have not tried the flat pads before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I`d try the orange 4" pads. Since 4" pads make the PC *that* much more effective, I wouldn`t begrudge the cost of the backing plate. I can`t correct *anything* with 7.5" pads, except *maybe* the soft lacquer on the Jag.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess, I`ll try the 4" Orange pad. While I am placing an order, should I get the 7 1/2" Yellow advance pad or not bother?

Also do you guys think the IP will be enough or do I really need the Powergloss? I just hate the fact that the Powergloss is sold in a 32 oz bottle for $24, I don`t need nearly that much half would be more then enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t bother with the larger yellow/cutting pad. You won`t even think about it once you`ve used the 4" pads

Dunno about the menzerna...

Thread Information