Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to be doing my car, with soon to be fresh paint, tell me if this sounds right. I`ll be color sanding out to 3000 followed by Megs #85 with wool, then #83 with Megs 8000 pad both on rotary, finishing up with #80 and a 8006 pad on the PC DAP. Wait 4 loooong weeks and hit it with Souveran. Any changes or additions anyone would make?

Post Thanks / Like
    If/when you wash it during the curing time (and I`d wait longer than 4 weeks) I`d apply something fresh-paint-friendly. Many people use 3m IHG but I greatly prefer Meg`s #5. You might even find it enhances the look of the #80.

And I dunno if you`ll really need the #85/wool combo. I`ve taken out 2.5-3k sanding scratches with just PI-III RC and foam, even did a few areas with it by hand using a MF (which *did* take a while). And that was on relatively hard Spies-Hecker clear.

On one occasion I found even #80 to be too aggressive for fresh paint (this was three week old RM brand b/c), so don`t assume that you need to get really aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be on fresh PPG DCC Concept Urethane, the #85 was a worse case option. I`m going to try the #83 first to see what happens. What is the difference between the #80 and #5? And your right I should wait more like 8 weeks to seal, I`m gonna try. I`m gonna use Final Inspection in the mean time.

Post Thanks / Like
    The #5 is nonabrasive while the #80 has a bit of cut to it. I`d *absolutely* use the #5 instead of just the #34, it`ll provide much better looks, a slicker surface (so stuff won`t stick as readily), and more protection. I probably sound pretty, uhm, enthusiastic about the #5 but I really do just love it on fresh paint. It`s *almost* as easy to use as just QDing with the #34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help. I`ll give it a try, I want to order a few more things so that`ll go on the list.

Thread Information