Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the past month or so since I have joined Autopia I have noticed many people starting threads on the topic of removing swirl marks. I thought I would do I nice write up of how to permanently remove bad swirling w/o the use of any fillers. At the same time I would love to prove the nay sayers wrong who say there is no way to remove swirls for good w/o using fillers. This process was done on a 1997 Ford F 150...There were many baked on contaminants and such that needed to be removed prior to removing the swirls.

Products used:

Dawn Soap

Meg’s Claybar

Menzerna Powergloss

Menzerna Intensive Polish

Menzerna Final Polish II

Liquid Souveran wax (Filler but its just for protecting the paint)

2 yellow Compounding Pads

1 White Polishing Pads

Porter Cable DA Polisher

Step 1:

Washed car w/ dawn dish soap to get all baked on contaminants off the surface of the paint. After the wash the hood looked like so:

This picture gives you an idea of how terrible the swirls I was working with here. The sight of these might discourage one to tackle such a projectâ€but believe me the results are worth it!

Step 2: Meguiar’s Claybar

Used Meguiar’s Claybar to take off all contaminants that dawn could not.

Step 3:

After claying paint in such bad shape it is ALWAYS a good idea to wash the car againâ€In this case I used Meg’s NXT car wash. This is not the time to cut corners

Step 4: Menzerna Powergloss

Many say that Powergloss can not be broken down with a PC but I beg to differ. I used Powergloss with a yellow compounding pad. REMEMBER: work in 2x2 foot areas, this is to make sure you have covered and buffed every inch of what your are working on. Take this step slow it will take time for the PC to break the Powergloss down. I first applied the Powergloss to the hood of the truck then spread it around the area with the PC off. Once this is done I started to work it in keeping the speed between 2-2.5. Once it is spread and looks even I turned the PC up to 4.5-5 this further breaks down the Powergloss and lets it do its magic. After working the with the Powergloss for multiple passes on 5 I turned the speed up to 6 for one to two final passes.

Step 5: Menzerna Intensive Polish

This step is optional in my opinion a few swirls still remained after the application of PG so I deiced to go with a less abrasive compound so I went with IP. Once again I went with a yellow compounding pad for this application. I worked the IP in the same way that I did with the PG, progressing the speed as the product started to break down. Remember work 2x2 foot area’s.

As you can see there are no longer any swirls after the application of IP.

Step 6: Menzerna Final Polish II

This step is too remove any compound haze that was caused to during the compounding process. This will leave your paint looking its best, before you seal it in with the Liquid Souveran Wax. I used a white polishing pad for this application.

Step 7: Liquid Souveran Wax

This is the only step in this process that has any type of “filler†that will “cover up†minor defects such as small scratches that could not be removed by the compounds that were used to remove the swirl marks. Remember this step should not be used to cover up remaining swirls, they should be completely removed before this step. This steps purpose is only to protect the paint once the swirls have been removed.

Final Product:

Bad Side:

Good Side:

EDIT:

WARNING! New swirls will appear after time...It is nearly Impossible to prevent new swirls from forming...With proper care and washing swirls can be kept to a minimum...
    "God made turbo lag so V8`s could keep up!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Condiments? What like mustard and ketchup?

I think you mean contaminants! LOL

JJ
    Umm! BLACK

Post Thanks / Like
    oops thats what you get for doing a write up this late at night! fixed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job. Where did you get the products?

Once again.....good work.

One quick Q: ABout how long did it take to break the product down in yout 2x2 area? Rough guess.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting trend dude, nice writeup on how to remove the swirls in that truck. I do notice that you use the terms "permanently" and "for good", as in I assume you are saying that this truck will never have swirls again. That is a real bold and cocky statement, almost impossible to achieve.

The swirls are out right now, but eventually they will be back, unless you have a force field around that truck.

But real nice work on the truck, looks nice, would love to see the whole truck though.
    Rodney - Salma, will you marry me?

`03 Nissan Super Black 350Z

"The simplest method is the best method"

Post Thanks / Like
    twasmer: For the powergloss it took about 5-10 min to break down...as for the IP it took about 2-5 min...Also i got the products from properautocare.com i believe...

Deep Freeze: Im not saying that NEW swirls will not appear over time but THESE swirls are permanently removed...I do not dissagree with the statement that new swirls will appear over time...But using products w/o fillers will remove them oppose to just filling them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4830Deuce
    Deep Freeze: Im not saying that NEW swirls will not appear over time but THESE swirls are permanently removed...I do not dissagree with the statement that new swirls will appear over time...

Thats cool, the title of the trend is just a bit misleading.
    Rodney - Salma, will you marry me?

`03 Nissan Super Black 350Z

"The simplest method is the best method"

Post Thanks / Like
    I see that you have use Menzerna products. How do you like the Final Polish? I`m looking for another polish, and this may be it. What are your thoughts about it?
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...SizeNagaro.jpg

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP "Supercharged"

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yet another good write up on permanetly removing swirls.....for a little while at least. I have never noticed a trend to "fill" swirls here at Autopia.. Its a fight to the finish :buffing:
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    None of the menzerna range has any fillers. Thats good `cos i am going to buy some, i do see some wee scratches which were once part of the swirl still remaining, but I know that it is difficult to get EVERYONE out without damaging your cc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work!

But, I`ll also say that I haven`t seen much about fillers. Swirls, BE GONE!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job, but uh look at THESE swirls and removal. http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....1&page=1&pp=12

Post Thanks / Like
    Great writeup!

Actually FP2 does have filler. I`ve seen this myself first hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    How big would a 2x2 section be? Half a hood?

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvaBimma
    How big would a 2x2 section be? Half a hood?

I would say 1/6th of the Average size hood.
    Gary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information