Post Thanks / Like
    First off I`d like to say...great site! I was pointed here by a user on another forum and so far all the information I have found has kept me from jumping off a bridge. ;-)

Last weekend I did something really stupid, I stained my deck using a commercial airless sprayer and apparently didn`t move mine and my wife`s car far enough away from the house. Now both cars are covered with a fine mist of brown Behr Deck stain. The really bad part is that both vehicles are brand new with less than 2,000 miles on each. :-( Using some Meguiars paint cleaner I was able to get 95% of the stain off of my wife`s car but my car is a different story. My car was covered with dust when the stain fell on it so now my paint job feels like a piece of fine sandpaper.

I read the thread on traffic paint removal but wanted to get some opinions on my particular scenario. Personally I`m thinking I should try Mineral Spirits or something along those lines since the dried stain on my car is also embedded with dust. I`m not sure it would be a good idea to rub clay across that dried up deck stain. I`m also thinking WD-40 would be worth a try. The Mineral Spirits wont hurt my paint? Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, sorry to hear about your cars. Not sure about the mineral spirits, perhaps if we could see a pic of your paint it would help.

Might be worth a shot to try the WD-40.

Does ODG mean Oh Dear God! ?

Good luck,

Paul
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, that sounds like a good case for using Autoint`s ABC wash system.

Acid/Base/Neutralizer to remove a lot of those bonded containments. I`d then follow up with a careful claying job and a chemical type cleaner like Klasse AIO (All in One). The owner there is a very valuable resource - especially for something like that (Ron K), just a bit too opinionated to have a voice here on Autopia without causing flame wars.

Good luck.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, here is the scoop. I came home today and tried both Mineral Spirits and WD-40 on some test spots with poor results....basically they had no effect on the stain. I ran out to the auto parts store and purchased a California Gold clay kit. Within seconds of rubbing the clay across the surface of the paint I could tell it was working. I spent the evening claying the entire car and besides some spots I missed and some real trouble spots on the hood right above turbo the stain is gone. Thank goodness! Now I need to solve the light scratching effect I caused on certain areas of the hood and other high spots(creases) in the body line. I threw some Meguiars Scratch X on a few of the areas right before it got dark and quickly worked them which helped tremendously but it still didn`t appear to be perfect.

Thanks for all of the advice...I really appreciate it.

Thread Information