Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am detailing another minivan today and have a minor problem. On the rear drives side bumper ther are a few glob, streaks of a yellow traffic paint. It is also inside the wheel wells. This stuff is hard as a rock! I cann`t flake it off with my fingernail. Clay did nothing. Do I dare use a solvent? Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve read several times that if it`s possible, to find out where it took place, to call that local DOT and explain the paint overspray and see if they have any precautions/suggestions about it.

Since this might not be the case, yeah a lot of time and patience is probably going to be required using the least aggressive solvent: stuff like mineral spirits, PPG DX440, straying away from lacquer thinner.

I`ve heard good things about Car Brite tar and paint wipes. I think TOL sells them.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea when it happened or how long it has been on there. what is PPG DX440? I have never heard of it before. Could I just try to compound it out?

Post Thanks / Like
    I also sent you a PM about it. The PPG stuff is a special solvent. What did work once for me was a similar 3M solvent and using a steamer but it was on a small, concentrated area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had this happen to me years ago with a Black car. I ended up using laquer thinner after trying numerous solvents. Would suggest you try in an inconspicuous place as the properties of the paints are different today. Good Luck!
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    You can remove it using one word or two words:

One word... WD40

Two words... Peanut Butter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Trick with most solvents ( I`d say with the exception of lacquer thinner) is to let them dwell a bit without agitation beofre wiping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the van is done, but the paint is still there. It is not very noticable, and it is a free detail. I will try to locate some of that PPG stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mom drove her CL Acura through a yellow line. I went bananas trying to get it off.

My g/f sat on the ground next to the car and picked the dots off one at a time, sometimes using a credit card as a "blade". (She`s a keeper, huh? She sees the fisheyes, sanding scratches, masking marks as quickly as I do.)

Anyhow, after wash and wax all looked good.

Post Thanks / Like
    :up

An extremely tedious task even for an Autopian.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the DX440 - DITZ-O© WAX & GREASE REMOVER data sheet:

"PPG DX Cleaners are specifically designed to remove wax, grease, silicones, road tar, engine oil, overspray, adhesives and other contaminants."

"Do not use DX440 on soluble materials like lacquer primers or topcoats."

Not sure it would be strong enough to remove cured road paint.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the tips. My Dad was soo happy with the van that he did not care about the small yellow paint specs near the bottom of the bumper. His coments were that it had never looked soo good and he could not believe it was the same van. This van is a daily driver. he puts about 200 plus miles a day on it at times. But as a picky, want to make it as perfect as it can get person I notice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always used plastic razor blades and had good luck with them.

Make up a bucket of soapy water with more car wash than usual. (This is so the razor blade will glide easier over the paint). Take a sponge or wash mitt and wet the area with the soapy water and scrape off the paint very carefully with the plastic razor blade. This should remove most of the yellow paint. If any small amounts of paint are left behind you can follow behind it with some laquer thinner or acetone to remove the remainder of it.

The area will require some polishing after all the paint is removed.

The wheel wells are the toughest part, but if the wheel wells are black than I would get some flat black spray paint and paint over the overspray inside them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea, I have never tried any plastic razor blades. I always use old credit cards, but they are not very flexable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to your nearest grocery store or drugstore and spend a dollar on a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Wet a cotton cloth or microfiber with the alcohol and gently rub the splatters. This procedure has always worked for me here in South Texas, even on striping paint that has been on the body for 2+ years. It would be a cheap trial for you and hopefully end the matter. The only reason it might not work for you would be that your locality might use a different paint composition, but you`ll only be out a buck if it doesn`t work. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information