Thread: Glass Grit

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all,

Let me start off by saying that I did a search and found many different threads on glass cleaning but none that really seemed to discuss this issue (that I found).

I have a 2000 Crown Victoria PI and the windshield is very gritty as well as some pited (used to be a Highway Patrol Vehicle). While I am not looking to fix the pits, I would like to remove the grit. The reason I believe it to be grit (attached to the windshield) instead of pits, is that when I put the ziplock baggy on my hand and run it over the glass I can feel a really bumpy gritty texture (like a car that has never been clayed). Also I have noticed that because of the grit as well as some grime I guess, I have a hard time seeing in the rain, and when I use the wipers I get a good bit of smearing. I use Stoners quite frequently and love it but it won`t faze this grit and grime. I have also tryed claying the glass and it doesn`t help either, and possibly makes the streaking worse.

So recently I have been looking at the PAC Autoglym Glass Polishing Kit, but after reading all the threads about glass swirling, I have major doubts, as this glass swirls fairly easily (past experiences have shown ).

Then again from reading the reviews on the front page about Autoglym it seems as though it alone (without the polishing kit) is not strong enough to remove anything but service grime.

Also not sure about diamondite, and whether it would serve the purpose.

:sosad

So anyways .....

Does anyone have any ideas about whether or not the above listed products would work well or whether or not there are others that would work better?

Any thoughts appreciated!

:waxing: :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    Try some #00-#0000 Steel wool on the glass. Use it with a "lube", glass cleaner is ideal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribing , I need to tackle a pretty nasty windshield soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried the steel wool but it didn`t seem to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds to me like this might be a job for clay. If that doesn`t work, maybe a three step decontamination wash like the one from Auto Int or Finish Kare.

There`s a windshield I have in mind that I think will benefit from a good thorough polishing with a polishing pad and a rotary , low speed around 1100 RPMs or so. Several paint polishes could do the trick. I`m going to give Menzerna or Cerious Compound a shot ( Thanks Anthony O. for that tip) as they contain cerium oxide, an abrasive that`s traditionally been used to polish glass.

A complete polish once the contamination is dealt with might give very satisfactory results.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Thread Information