Post Thanks / Like
    One week ago, I put a coat of NXT on my car. The car is a 2005 Honda Accord, that has had #16 on it since it was purchased 3 months ago (applied approx every 3 weeks).

The NXT liquid was applied via PC on a blue propel pad, I assumed that the cleaners in the NXT would take care of the remaining #16. I was very impressed with the gloss and slickness of the NXT, it was better than I expected.

Today, after 2 days of heavy rain, I did a QD on the car and the gloss and slickness are almost completely gone. It feels like it hasn`t been waxed in months.

Could this be caused by trying to put the NXT on top of the #16? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bjackson8

One week ago, I put a coat of NXT on my car. The car is a 2005 Honda Accord, that has had #16 on it since it was purchased 3 months ago (applied approx every 3 weeks).

The NXT liquid was applied via PC on a blue propel pad, I assumed that the cleaners in the NXT would take care of the remaining #16. I was very impressed with the gloss and slickness of the NXT, it was better than I expected.

Today, after 2 days of heavy rain, I did a QD on the car and the gloss and slickness are almost completely gone. It feels like it hasn`t been waxed in months.

Could this be caused by trying to put the NXT on top of the #16? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

YES!

The "cleaners" in NXT are very slight and really only there to help the NXT bond to the paint. I would try some Klasse AIO to remove everything including the #16, then reapply the NXT. You can top the NXT with the #16 after ~ 24 hours.

Sealants in general don`t bond well to carnauba`s and that`s probably the reason the NXT now seems to be MIA.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Megs claims that all their products are compatible so it may or may not be a bonding problem? have you used non megs QD`s over the 16? or possibly its a carwash issue leaving a film on the NXT

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies.

I have a strong feeling it was the wax under it.

I`m going to give it a good wash in the morning, and then wipe it down with prepsol. Then try the NXT again.

I really loved the first impressions of this wax, but a week just isn`t going to cut it in the durability department.

The car is Graphite pearl (dark grey metalic), and the NXT was by far the best looking wax so far. (Compared to #16 & #26). Any suggestions for other products that look good on this color would be greatly appreciated.

Sun Blinded Detailer Mochamanz1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polymers are best on clean paint. Perhaps ,even though Meg`s claims complete compatability between products, it is still a matter of water on oil. The NXT had nothing to bond to. The basic makeup of the polymers meant that the NXT couldnt get a good grip on the waxed surface.:xyxthumbs
    Prep is everything .. The rest is the window looking in....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wannafbody

Megs claims that all their products are compatible so it may or may not be a bonding problem?

I believe the compatiblity is that their LSPs bond well to their polishes and glazes. I don`t think they have NXT over #16 in mind when they say Meguiars products work well together.

I`ve found that AIO is an excellent base for NXT.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wannafbody

Megs claims that all their products are compatible so it may or may not be a bonding problem? have you used non megs QD`s over the 16? or possibly its a carwash issue leaving a film on the NXT

NXT is a polymer, #16 is a wax.... they do not crosslink. Oil and water..... (best analogy) What Auopian goes through a carwash ? That is a horrible way to treat a cherished vehicle ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mochamanz

NXT is a polymer, #16 is a wax.... they do not crosslink. Oil and water..... (best analogy) What Auopian goes through a carwash ? That is a horrible way to treat a cherished vehicle ....

Due to the fact that I live in an apartment, I go throught the car was often. But ahead of time I fill two buckets with water and add my zaino soap to one. I throw two mits in the rinse bucket and put the stuff in my trunk. I then use the car wash for their rinse water only...:up

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mochamanz

What Autopian goes through a carwash ? That is a horrible way to treat a cherished vehicle ....

I believe he is talking about a commerial wash bay (coin) not a drive thru type.:wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes , I see that now, my bad, I rinse off my car that way sometimes due to pollen myself...sorry !

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with NXT was much improved when I layed it on top of AIO. Slickness lasted longer. I`m a big beleiver that a sealant needs proper paint preparation to take advantage of thier durability. My routine now involves AIO as a step in between a polish and the sealant.

When I`m lazy I forgoe the sealant and add a layer of #16. I`ll re-wax with 16 in 3 or 4 weeks. Eventually I find the time to start over again.

George

Thread Information