Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    i detailed a mini cooper s a few weeks ago, with those decal stripes that come standard from the factory. Yea well i didnt know they were decals i thought they were part of the paint. So i washed it and did all the rest. And After i looked at the decals and they were disguesting looking. White marks EVERYWHERE, swirls to the left and right from the wax. It was awful. However i took out so many scratches from the rear that she wanted me too, and the interior looked so great. That she told me if the decals were covered under her warranty she would still pay me. Sure enough they were, and i go paid. WHEW. I will never detail a mini cooper again. I`m afraid!

Post Thanks / Like
    Use Poorboy Wheel Cleaner without dilution on a uncoated mags

Post Thanks / Like
    Worst mistake-attempting to get squashed flies off a recently repainted front bumper of a Porsche 911 (996) GT3 in a hurry, before the customer picked it up, with a steam cleaner without checking what settings the previous user left it on!

The paint came off like a Kit Kat wrapper!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Concours
    Worst mistake-attempting to get squashed flies off a recently repainted front bumper of a Porsche 911 (996) GT3 in a hurry, before the customer picked it up, with a steam cleaner without checking what settings the previous user left it on!

The paint came off like a Kit Kat wrapper!
    Oh lord...
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to wash my parents cars with one of those water powered brushes with the soap dispenser filled with dish liquid. Now, after having been on here a few weeks, I realize that that was probably not a good idea. My next action will be to get my dad to stop using old bath towels for anything related to drying and waxing.

Post Thanks / Like
    steel wool on mirrors (scratched them up)

soft scrub on a white car (ruined the paint)

goo-gone on headlights (ate up the plastic)
    Learning How To Detail the Eco-Friendly Way

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone else want to add to the embarrasment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ummm, I think I may have burnt through my CC trying to get acquainted with my PC using XMT#3 and an Orange pad...I`m still in denial. :nervous:
    -Geonald

Post Thanks / Like
    In order of worst to least ...

*Post Autopia*

- I was using a Yellow Cutting pad that had the backing material the entire way up to the foam edge of the pad and managed to cut a 1/2 deep gash into the plastic arm for the mirror of my grandfathers car.

- Wondering if I could spruce up my fog lights with a 4" SFX-1 spot pad and OP. I managed to snap all 3 of the retaining clips that hold the light in. When the fog light finally came out of the mount I managed to rip the wiring out too.

- Smacked myself in the face with the antenna using the PC on both my car and my girlfriends car. I take the antenna off every time I polish now.

*Pre-Autopia*

- Dropping my clay on the ground and continuing to use it

- Cleaning bug guts off my front bumper with a window squeegee

- Using the brush at a self-serve car wash

- Using TW Rubbing Compound on the fog-light mentioned above (thats why it needed spruced up)

- Using Adams S&H Remover ... my trim is still stained 6 months later

- Applying 1/3 of a tin of the el-cheapo TW paste wax and letting it set for 2+ hours

The worst thing Ive ever seen anyone else doing was washing what appeared to be a brand new `06 Eclipse (black) with one of those shop brooms with the red handle and the really wide brush. I almost wrecked my car in disbelief.
    2003 CD Silver Focus SVT ZX5
    2014 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3

"You can always tell the way a man takes care of himself by the way he takes care of his car"

Post Thanks / Like
    A long time ago, I used a Scotch brite kitchen sponge(green side) to wash the hood on my moms Mazda. You should have seen the scratches I then realized that paint is quite soft.

Post Thanks / Like
    applied KSG with a black LC pad. Took 45 minutes to get the inch thick layer off the hood. KSG now applied by foam applicator. . .
    "Nice wax job rook!" . . . . - Ramathorn

Post Thanks / Like
    Leaving the windshield wiper up while trying to lower the hood. You know how on hoods with props, you have to lift the hood to remove the prop? Well, i did that and bent the wiper arm............It was just pure ignorance on my part.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    Leaving the windshield wiper up while trying to lower the hood.

as i`ve mentioned before, i fall victim to this and i have two little scrapes/chips on the top part of the hood where the windshild wipers align...

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Applying Mothers Pure Carnuba (the big can) in strong direct sunlight on a hot summer day. I should have thought, there was something wrong when I got near the bottom. Turns out I applied so much wax it took about 16 hours to get it off. Still makes me shiver.

Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy and I were detailing this hot girls Mini Cooper S. Of course being the big bad boys we just had to do the BEST job in the world and remove every `bad thing` on the paint..... including the paint itself!!!! My friend (not an autopia guy) thought that in order to remove some tough grime from the rear hatch door jam it would be a good idea to use a grime/grease remover..... 409!!

Thats right, before i caught him he has soak the ENTIRE rear hatch jam in 409 and let it sit for about 10 minutes... ALLLllllllll of the white paint had come off on the rag. OMG I wanted to kill him so badly..

She didnt seem to mind when he told her about it *shrugs* haha. but I was pretty pissed.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information