Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Puttin wax on like it was icing on a cake.

Post Thanks / Like
    1.) when I was still a kid, I used to envy those shiny cars I see, and ended up placing some cheapo tire shine gel on the whole car

2.) when my car was less than a month old, I tried wetsanding a spot on my rear bumper.. grabbed the first sandpaper I saw and ruined the car. It was 100 grit

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really a mistake, but painful nonetheless. I was using one of those 10" orbital buffers, and the plate spun off and dropped the spindle and the three screws that were holding it right on to the hood of my black F-150. I had to trade it is shortly after because the sight of those deep circular scratches made me sick to my stomach. So far only hand rubbing on the Navigator until I buy a PC.

Nolan
    If a man talks in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, .... is he still wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by milky_08

1.) when I was still a kid, I used to envy those shiny cars I see, and ended up placing some cheapo tire shine gel on the whole car

Clearly the best one:up

Mine was using way too much wax....I still think I use too much wax though, I try to get it on to the point where I can`t even see it

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by xfire

On my first detail, the customer wanted me to leave the car in a school parking lot. I left it there illegally parked... I wanted to stay with the car, but I had to go to work. Luckily, when she picked it up, it was still there.

HAHA that is awesom, would of sucked if they came back to the cleanest car in the parking lot with a parking ticket
    04 pathfinder CarDomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2430502

Post Thanks / Like
    Pulled garden hose quickly turning it into a king cobra which scratched fender/bumper. Have done this more than once.
    As Soon As I saw That Guys Cars Dirty I Knew He Was Going To Be A Failure! Donald Trump - The Apprentice

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Put on a heavy coat of AG EGP in direct sunlight on to a hot car, with about 10mins to go before needing to be at a friends wedding...

2. Trying to remove a `stubborn` (still bolted in) indicator lens with a flat-blade screwdriver - screwdriver slips and gauges a 5inch groove in the clearcoat right down the wing...

3. While applying some Fibreglass resin to the inside of a sub box in the boot, I rest my hand on the rear wing to steady myself, and later discovered that same hand had fresh resin on it... (it looked like about 1/4inch thick clearcoat!)
    ex-Autoglym-er finding better products all the time!

Post Thanks / Like
    i did my mother-in-law`s toyota for the first time. car is 4 years old and never had a proper auto detail. it took about 3 hours to do it. it looked gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!my last step was the tires. and thats it. as i was shaking the NXT, my mom in law offers me a cold 25 oz. Labatt Ice. its 85 degrees outside. so i start shaking the labatts vigorously. not thinking what i was doing, i pop open the tab as i`m pointing the can at her car.....................................

Post Thanks / Like
    Holding a hose about 2 feet from the top of the metal nozzle on the end and whipping around to answer my father calling my name and having the hose follow me slamming into the side of the car.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a 9" grinder with a buffing pad. I really thought it would work! Well, it did actually, just a wee bit too well. especially up against bends and such. At least it was only on my car.

Now on a customers vehicle, that would be using Citrisolve to spray down the vehicle. Who knew it was a paint stripper?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Before autopia: Used half a bottle of NXT at once

After: Forgot PC was plugged in and nearly cut my finger off :0
    [quote name=`DocHoliday`]I recently had SSR2.5 on toast for breakfast, was tasty and it polished my teeth![/QUOTE]

:think:

Post Thanks / Like
    Pre Autopia faux pas...............

I once used #0000 steel wool on the mirrors of my Honda Accord!

The first time I used a clay bar I dropped it, picked it up & kept on claying!

Years ago, I used "Nu Finish" on my Dad`s Eldorado!

I once wiped down the black paint of my 86 Iroc with Windex & a paper towel. ( I was smoking a lot of weed back in the late 80`s. lol )

Post Thanks / Like
    I was 16 , detailing a neighbors new Cadillac Coupe Deville this thing was a few days old . I was moving the car in the driveway I got out and shut the door left the car running and you guessed it locked the doors. Lets says hours later and a locksmith got her back in the car The spare keys were on the ring to . We both learned a life long lesson that day. Till this very day I always make sure I have keys in hand before I shut that door.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the "rub too hard category": I was using some polish to remove a spot on my Honda CRX`s fender. I rub, rub, rub right through the clearcoat. End result: I find a nice "SI" sticker to cover it up. Yes, it was an SI so it did work.

In the "Don`t attempt to do your own bodywork" category: I had a black Mustang and the stone chips on the hood were bothering me. I masked off around the chips and spraypainted the chip, thinking I`d "blend" the paint into the rest of the hood. I took the tape off and I had this nice black square spraypainted on the hood. So then I go to sand it..End result: Had to have hood repainted. :hairpull

A few years later a bird leaves a calling card on my Mustang`s trunk. I use Meg`s #4 to get it off. Eventually I do get it off but take the paint down to the primer. End result: Had to have that section of the trunk repainted.

My bodyshop loves me.

I`ve done a lot of other stupid things. I could probably write a book. :grinno:
    I`m sick and getting sicker. But my cars are slick and getting slicker!

Post Thanks / Like
    I woke up thinking i was going to S&W the entire car. I S&W the entire car in under 10 min. I finish and i realize that i hav PB trim restore in my hand. the whole car is left with a nasty greasy residue. Now, i actually read the bottle labels instead of reaching for the familiar shape.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information