Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Claying a friends car using wash shampoo as a lube - well that`s what I thought I was doing, in fact I was actually using the rinse bucket as the lube instead of the wash bucket. Luckily his car wasn`t dirty at all when I washed it so it didn`t cause too many problems.

To this day I always empty the rinse bucket as soon as I`m done with it - usually before I give the car a final rinse.

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say most of us have pre-autopian mistakes. I have so many mistakes that i look back on from my old red truck that they seem nuts now. Mind you, I did have this truck for 12 years, and sold it pre-autopia. I found this site as soon as I bought my 350Z in 2003, glad I did find it, lol.

Got some yellow overspray from somewhere on the hood of my truck. Well, back then i didn`t know anything about compounds and such, I just bought a rubbing compound and went to work, lol. Didn`t know how to use less aggressive polishes to even take the scratches and marring out of the hood. So when I sold the truck, the spots where I removed the overspray was still there, lol.

I also used a wheel cleaner on that truck, and it was either too aggressive or the wheels were still hot, so it left some odd spotting under the clearcoat of the wheels.

I used to not worry about the coin op not getting all the dirt off the truck, the rest would come off when I DRIED the car, lol. I have nightmares today about me drying that truck when it wasn`t completely clean from a coin op. Got the dirt off, lol, but man the scratches I put in that truck that I didn`t even know anything about. Remember selling the truck wondering why the paint was so dull, lol.

I did keep it clean for most of those 12 years, used to wash it once a week and wax it a whole lot. But now that I look back, I had no idea what I was doing, thought I was soo good back then.
    Rodney - Salma, will you marry me?

`03 Nissan Super Black 350Z

"The simplest method is the best method"

Sun Blinded Detailer Mochamanz1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Easy one, I dropped my polishing pad onto dry concrete, and thought blowing it off with compressed air was enough to make sure no grit was present ( I didnt see or feel anything ) I "polished" half the hood before I realized I had a heavier grit on my pad than is generally sold....This side of sandblast supply outfits
    Prep is everything .. The rest is the window looking in....

Post Thanks / Like
    It was 1995 and I went to wax my first car, a 1985 RX7. I quickly read the directions on the bottle of Liquid Glass that I nabbed from my dad`s garage. I applied it to the whole car and decided that the 4 hour cure time in warm weather should occur before I take the sealant off. Well, 4 hours later, the sun is going down and I`m standing there with a couple of old bath towels wondering why it`s taking 30 min a panel on this little car to take of the *** **** sealant. Never did that again. I left a towel in the car and I was buffing out spots I missed in the dark for about a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    1) streaked someones driveway with Eagle wheel cleaner (E2Z)

2) wanted to mist my pad while applying wax and grabbed my woolite solution bottle. Did half the car before I realized my mistake.
    Interviewer: : Rock, you got anything derogatory to say about the champ?

Rocky Balboa: Derogatory? Yeah. He`s great

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using the California Blade to get most of the water off of my beautiful black Camaro SS Vert. Well, there must have been a small particle on the blade that I did not notice. It made long scratches ALL over my car. Now I get to spend lots of time with my PC.

WARNING - be careful with the California blade!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a piece of steel wool on the work bench. As I detailed the car I placed the used microfiber towels on the bench. That night picked up EVERYTHING and place them in the washing machine. There goes $60 worth of microfibers! I now have a bucket for used detailing towels and place them in the washer ONE AT A TIME!

Post Thanks / Like
    I work on a ambulance my partner and I decided to clean the our rig while I cleaned the outside he cleaned the inside. He busted out the armoral and went to town on the inside. Right as we finished we got a call and we jumped in the rig. I was in the drivers seat and when I went to step on the gas my foot slipped cause he coated the pedals with armoral and then I went to turn and he also got the steering wheel!! We made it through the rest of our shift safely and needless to say he is not allowed to touch the armoral any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not pick up the PC while it`s running and full of polish. I knew better, and did it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used that slimey clear turtle wax tire shine stuff on my weather stripping. I must say not only did it make it shiney, it also dry rotten it all in a month.

Learn the hard way once, and never do it again!
    Moderator, 60v6 expert at...

www.sicgmtrucks.com

CIXELSYD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worst mistake I ever made occurred while repairing paint chips on a 2005 Jaguar. After the touch up paint cured, I began to wet-sand while under the influence of cold medicine. The rounded hood and headlamps can be very tricky if you’re not careful. Long story short, the super thin paint around a headlamp combined with my bad judgment lead to a small spot of primer in the finish. What made it so bad is that it’s located directly near the grill and hood ornament . . . it`s such a tricky spot that countless attempts to fix by hand were almost fruitless to the Autopian eye. What an eyesore!

I`m SO embarrassed to admit it. Live and learn

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by White95Max

Quoting prices before seeing the vehicle, particularly SMR steps and interiors.

Yeah, I`ve done that too.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Taking on details early on that I didn`t have the ability, products or techniques to bring to their full potential and not turning down cars that were beyond hope (like cars with laquer checking).

Been there. Kicked myself. Invested in more products and moved on.

I`ve also done the price quote before seeing the vehicle thing. Never again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s the detail:

- refilled wax on buffer (10" sears buffer). Now I have PC

- Some how the power from extension cord disconnected.

- Reconnected the power cord.

- You know the problem - wax splashed everywhere.

- I have no idea how/why/what I accident turn the "on" switch of the buffer before reconnect the power cord.
    The result caused the addiction

Post Thanks / Like
    On my first detail, the customer wanted me to leave the car in a school parking lot. I left it there illegally parked... I wanted to stay with the car, but I had to go to work. Luckily, when she picked it up, it was still there.
    Not an ordinary teen

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information