Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered a PC 7424 and a 6" backing pad, along with some 6" pads from CMA (3 yellow and 3 white). I have a few questions about how to use it properly, and what products to use.

I have a 2003 BMW 325Ci that has paint in fairly good condition. It`s never been polished since I bought it, but I have tried to keep a good coat of wax on it all the time. It has some swirls from the idiot dealers who keep forgetting that I told them not to wash it, along with some water spots and bug stains. Also, it`s been sitting in a Cambridge, MA parking lot for the past eight months while I`m in school.

I`m thinking of using either 3M Finesse-It II Machine Polish or 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze after claying, followed by Zaino. Which one of those would you recommend (or is there another product I should be using)? I`d like to stick with 3M products. From what I can tell reading other forum threads, it seems like they are pretty close in abrasive level, so what`s the difference between them? Perfect-It III is newer, so is it easier to apply/remove or something? Which one gives better results?

Also, if I end up having to use the yellow CMA pad with either of those products, will I need to go over the paint again with the white pad in order to produce maximum gloss?

Finally, what do you guys do when using the PC on tight areas, say around taillights, A-pillars, on the the flat horizontal surfaces on top of bumpers, and things like that. Do you try to apply the polish by hand, or just use the PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use both products and they are very good. FI II Machine Polish is more aggressive than PI III Machine Glaze. Machine Glaze leaves a nicer finish. I find both very easy to use. Both are filler free and wax free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay.

How about doing things by hand? There are some very tight spots on my car that I know I will have to do by hand - can I use the Machine Polish for that, or should I buy something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy 4" spot pads that will fit on the PC for tight areas.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by avalys

Okay.

How about doing things by hand? There are some very tight spots on my car that I know I will have to do by hand - can I use the Machine Polish for that, or should I buy something else?

I get good results with both products by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I just went out and bought a quart (!!) of 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze.

Strangely, the guy at the paint shop (Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes) says that the product has been discontinued. He tried to get me to buy something else (another 3M product), but I told him I wanted the PI-III MG. It was the only bottle they had left.

Anyone know what that`s about?

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I just went out and bought a quart (!!) of 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze.

Strangely, the guy at the paint shop (Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes) says that the product has been discontinued. He tried to get me to buy something else (another 3M product), but I told him I wanted the PI-III MG. It was the only bottle they had left.

Anyone know what that`s about?

The Perfect It III line is discontinued because of VOC regs. It`s replaced by Perfect It 3000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, thanks for the info.

Is the Perfect-It 3000 line any better? I can return this stuff if I have to.

What are VOC regs?

Post Thanks / Like
    The PI-III MG got phased out due to the new VOC regulations.

You can use any of these products by hand in the tight spots, but see what you cad do using the edge of the pad (you might be surprised at the areas you can do that way ).

The MG isn`t aggressive enough to benefit from the yellow/cutting pads. Use the FI-II with those if you need the extra bite, but follow up with MG on the white pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking on the 3M website, I found this page:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

I assume the replacement for Perfect-It III Machine Glaze is Perfect-It 3000 Trizact Spot Finishing Material, right? The Perfect-It 3000 Swirl Mark Remover is the successor the old 3M SMR?

Has Finesse-It II been discontinued as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thanks for the info.

Is the Perfect-It 3000 line any better? I can return this stuff if I have to.

What are VOC regs?

I haven`t tried the new Perfect It 3000 line. It`s supposed to work as well as Perfect It III.

VOC is volatile chemicals. These regs are controlling the amount that are in products.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking on the 3M website, I found this page:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

I assume the replacement for Perfect-It III Machine Glaze is Perfect-It 3000 Trizact Spot Finishing Material, right? The Perfect-It 3000 Swirl Mark Remover is the successor the old 3M SMR?

Has Finesse-It II been discontinued as well?

No, the replacement for Perfect It III Machine Glaze is Perfect It 3000 SMR.

The old SMR is not discontinued.

Finesse It II is not discontinued either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, thanks.

But I should be fine with the PI-III MG, right? No reason to return it and get the PI-3000 SMR?

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, thanks.

But I should be fine with the PI-III MG, right? No reason to return it and get the PI-3000 SMR?

Yeah PI III Machine Glaze is a proven winner.

Thread Information