Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    1. the black plastic trim on my `97 is fadded... i.e. the "water runners" on the roof, and the large piece under the windshield wipers...

i tried useing Vinylx (sp?) on it, which is what i use on the interior, but it didnt do anything...

what do you all sugguest?

2. also, for my black rubber trim around my doors... what whould i use to black`en it? i was thinking the "wet tire shine" that you put on your tires?

3. how do you clean your windows and make them look like they are freshly waxxed? i hear rainX is pretty good... but i dont know.

sorry for all the questions, i`m just trying to get my on-line order ready so i can order everything all at once

Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll probably want something that lasts.

There are two semi-permanent product kits I`m aware of that ought to do the trick.

There are kits made by Trimonex and Auto Int/Valugard (the ETR-II Kit)

I believe the products in these kits can also be purchased individually.

RainX is ok if applied successfully. Aquapel is longer lasting. It`s a different chemistry.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meg`s NXT glass cleaner is good for windows. Cleans and protects.

For the trim, try PB`s trim restore first, and if it doesn`t get the job done, dye it. Dying is a little more hassle, but sometimes its the only way to go. Top of the Line sells a great dye kit.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I think that dye kit is made by Trimonex.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, i got you both on the windows...

Timmy, i was thinking about dying it... but just to do that single piece is kind of a waste of a whole bottle lol

Does PB Trim restore just clean... or give it a wet-look or what?

Bill, Auto Int/Valugard (the ETR-II Kit) Exterior Trim Repair Kit for around $90 yikes lol... and i can`t seem to find the Trimonex, do you have a site?

is`nt Back-To-Black a dye? any experiences?

Post Thanks / Like
    Those products are available individually. Unless you think you need them all, they still could be an option. TOL and Trimonex.com are the two other sites.

Nope, Back to Black isn`t a dye. It`s a sort of syrupy dressing. I hate it. It could make the trim look glossy but look out if it is exposed to rain. On a pervious car,no matter what I tried : cleaning the trim, applying it ultra sparingly, etc, it still ran off and made some stubborn stain lines on my paint if exposed to rain. :down. Worse, when it did wash away, spots of the trim were white!. It sure seemed like the solvent system of the product damaged or otherwise attacked the trim. Aside from ditching the Back to Black altogether, reapplying it made it look better but I had to follow the cycle: if it rained, had to take time to remove the stubborn stains on the paint, clean off the trim, cover the white spots by reapplying Back to Black again.

These other products above are supposed to perform a lot better, last and do no damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yah back to black works great..............for about 5 minutes. You can pick up a little bottle of the black dye at the bottom of this page, for about 13 bucks. The full trimonex kit is maybe 50.

http://www.topoftheline.com/exterior-trim-dye.html

If you end up buying the full kit and don`t use all of it, lemme know. I just might be interested in picking up some .

Post Thanks / Like
    megs gold class trim restorer...one or two heavy apps...wipe off excess...my 95 jeep had all kinds of faded black plastic and the gold class brought it back to life....I did top with nxt protectant as well, it rained shortly after applying and the nxt cleaned it up....

Post Thanks / Like
    Save yourself the headache for the trim on the roof. It`s cheap and readily available from the dealer. It also happens to be easy to install yourself. Once they start to turn nasty they pretty much wont turn around. If you have some VM it will buy you some time if they aren`t cracked at all. If they have cracked, get new ones.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    lol, so NOOOO back-to-black...

SpoiledMan, it`s about $160 for that piece of trim near the wiper blades... so i dont think i`ll be getting a new one

as far as Dye, what about "Forever Black"? i hear that it`s good for about 6 months before it starts to fade again?

Post Thanks / Like
    The products I mentioned claim they last double that time if not longer. All depends on how often you want to re apply, quality and price you`re looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by integraoligist

1. the black plastic trim on my `97 is fadded... i.e. the "water runners" on the roof....

I was referring to this. VM will also work wonders on the stuff at the bottom of the windshield too.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear forever black streaks like hell. Never used it myself, but I can put in a good work for the Trimonex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill, i`ll have to inquire about the single item`s Triminox has and see what they run.

SpoiledMan, what is VM?

and i guess Forever Black is out of the question too

Post Thanks / Like
    VM = Clearkote Vanilla Moose

http://clearkote.net/products.htm
    Triple Honda Owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information