Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So I am going to be detailing a car tomorrow for one of my dad`s coworkers. It is a white late 90s mazda 626. I am doing the interior and exterior all the way for only 50 bux. I have no clue why I said I would do it so low, but whatever it has been a long time since I have detailed another persons car so I figure that it would be good for me to not overcharge. It has been a while and I will pick up the car at my dads work at 9 and have to return it by 2:30 so thats 5 hours because I will have travel time. So 10 dollars an hour.

First I will give the interior a go by:

Removing contents and putting into a box.

Removing Mats - Vacuum mats

Vacuum Interior

Then use oxyclean mix to clean full cloth interior and scrub door panels and stuff

Remove Vacuum filter and pick up excess water as good as I can with the shop-vac

Dress the Interior Dash/door Panels - NXT tech protectant

Clean Windows with Stoners IG

Clean Door Jams

Vacuum Trunk

Then Exterior:

Rinse It off very heavily

Wash with Megs Crystal Wash

Dry with California Water Blade/Absorber

Polish With #9

Then Topping with NXT Tech Wax

Nxt Insane shine on Tires

Nxt tech protectant on fender wells

It has been a while so what do you guys think? Will I have enough time, I am going to try to be moving quick and efficently through the interior so I can concentrate hard on the outside.
    2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R SPEC V

Blackout, Nismo Intake, Eibach Prokits, Megan Racing Exhaust, DC Sports Race Header

Enthusiast Extraordinaire RuffRyder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you`re going to be in a serious time crunch. Interior could take you easily more than 2 hours (to do it thoroughly) even if you move quickly. And that leaves you 3 hours to wash, dry, polish, top, and dress. I`ve spent about 5 hours doing a wash, dry, and top alone, although I was really anal. So it can be done if you move really quickly, but make sure you`ve got all the proper tools, all your equipment set out and ready to go, and a good game plan. Not claying will save you lots of time so you can pull it off! Godspeed!

Edited for clarification.
    I think the amount of attention I give my `05 Steel Grey Metallic Mazda6 makes my girlfriend jealous!

Post Thanks / Like
    yea man thats sounds like you may be short on time. The interior could easily take longer than 2 hrs depending on precise you are. also, like u said, u havent had experience with others car in a while, so his may be a complete mess. might want to offer to just split up the days, interior one day and exterior the next, just a suggestion if ur tight on time instead of sacrificing quality for time
    04 pathfinder CarDomain page:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2430502

Post Thanks / Like
    Speed comes with time so if you are bit rusty, time could be a factor.

If you are in "detail shape" and have your process done, then the time will not be a factor IMO.

For $50 I would wash, vac, wipe down dash, WAUD, dress tires, do windows. You are working REALLY cheap.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea... interiors only *look* easy.. but once you get started, it eats up time like no other. I can spend 4 hours on full interior detail easy. And that`s just for the cloth/leather/vinyl parts. Then if you want to do all the painted parts it will take even more time. Good luck with it though.
    2003 Oxford White SVT Cobra

Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to agree with the others. I think that you are going to be in a serious time crunch depending on how bad this car really is. I think that you are off to a good start by having a good plan and you know that you are going to have to move quickly to get this accomplished on time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Insert witty quip here...

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    For a 1st timer in the interior is going be alot of time consuming. I do a mid size model car like a 2002 Maxima, it took me 2.5 hrs.

Do you have any buffer machine like a PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    its an old 626 by what u said...i think the interior is going to be pretty dirty. 5 hours is not enough time to do a thorough detail if you ask me. And do you have a pc or rotary for polishing?if you dont, god help you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d skip the #9 for starters, for 50 bucks I would probably pull up with my mobile rig, unpack ,and then pack up again .

If I had that kind of time crunch, heres a few time savers I`d use

1. Do a half-assed job on the first vacuuming, cause your gonna vacuum the whole thing again anyways after oxiclean mixing it.

2. On the outside, mix the wash about 3X the suggested strength, and dont bother to rinse well first. Then, dry with the water blade, NXT it via polishing pad on PC, and then remove the NXT with a good microfiber. I wouldnt go overboard by using the #9, for 50 bucks its unreasonable to expect polishing, and its white anyways.

DO NOT read me DO NOT use NXT tech protectant. Its damn near tire shine. If you want to stick with megs, use the interior QD for a nice, natural look.

I know this doesn`t sound very Autopian, but as a pro, IMHO you get what you pay for. I aim for 30 an hour gross, and I figure I probably use 20-30 bucks worth of chemicals/pads/towels that cannot be reused per detail. For a good full detail, I charge a minimum of 120, with most details in the 150-220 range.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by themightytimmah

I`d skip the #9 for starters, for 50 bucks I would probably pull up with my mobile rig, unpack ,and then pack up again .

DO NOT read me DO NOT use NXT tech protectant. Its damn near tire shine. If you want to stick with megs, use the interior QD for a nice, natural look.

LMAO! Thanks for the tip on the NXT tech protectant. I keep hearing good things about the quick detailer. I can`t find it though.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the others, your going to be cutting it very close with time. I`m not that fast at detailing, so usually I try to do an interior one day and an exterior the other day so I don`t run out of gas or time halfway through the detail. As others said too, skip the #9, just give him a one step cleaner/wax.

As far as charging, I undersold myself when I first started too. This gets your name floating around and people interested. Once you feel confident in your work then you can gradually increase your prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had read about the interior QD so when I was at the store picking up some wheel cleaner and saw it on the shelf, I grabbed it. Not too sure about the smell - it reminds me of an electronics store for some reason - but it didn`t stick around too long. And the product did a very nice job. I`d recommend looking harder

And what everyone else said. My full interior on an unfamiliar car today took about 4 hours.

Sun Blinded Detailer Mochamanz1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please dont do all that for $50.00 !
    Prep is everything .. The rest is the window looking in....

Post Thanks / Like
    well thought i`d update. As soon as I got the car to my house it started poring rain and lightning. Started and did interior. Can you say SAND?!? OMG I lifted up her floormat and there was a nice pile sitting there. I took her floormat and shook it outside and 3 mins later there was still sand coming out. Did interior and used heat lamps I had to dry it. Manage to get some stuff done and then went down the road to advance auto parts while the inside was drying since it was still raining in my mom`s bmw 3.0 z3 that she left at home since she went out of town for work today...rain=no traction. Anyway I got some of that armor all waud crap, never used it before, figured for what I am getting paid who cares as long as it does decent. Well by the time I get back the rain was stopping so I pulled out the car and went to wash it. That powergel crap kinda sucks so I got the bucket out and started washing. Worst paint ever. There was crap stock ALL over her car. I only get done washing hood and two panels when she calls and said she forgot she had to pick up her kid. Took back her car. She gamme 50 dollars, I did the inside. That is pretty much it...oh well, I told her to give me a call if she wants me to finish up.
    2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R SPEC V

Blackout, Nismo Intake, Eibach Prokits, Megan Racing Exhaust, DC Sports Race Header

Post Thanks / Like
    50 bucks buys a wash and clay that is it, I`m with Mocha on this one.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information