Post Thanks / Like
    Need some advice about detailing the underside of my Camaro SS.

It has 10k miles on it and is very clean, but i want the underside to really look good. I have access to a lift but there is no hose nearby.

Any tips for cleaning the underside? I was going to use a bucket and some simple green. I want to get every oz. of rust off of the car and in the winter the suspension is coming off and components are getting polished (just not right now)

What i am looking for now is a good way to start. Keep in mind the car has never been driven in rain or bad weather so its just kinda dusty/dirty... not bad at all.

Thanks in advance.
    Dan O

2000 Camaro SS M6

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found any citrus cleaner works well for the underside. I use SG or Castrol`s Super Clean along with a long handled brush (and a toilet brush works very well) to remove most of the grime.

A year or so back, folks used Engine Kote to seal the undercarriages, but that`s no longer available, iirc -- it`s worth checking around for some if you can.

For the rust spots, I just tried P21S polishing soiap, and it`s great! You have to be careful which surfaces you use it on, so be aware before you apply it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have always used Autoglym Engine and Machine Cleaner or there there motorcycle cleaner on my cars and lots off warm soapy water. A good selection off brushes, clothes and time.

AG Tar remover for stubborm marks and polished paintwork with there super resin polish, metal with a good metal polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, that is exactly how i want my underside to look!!!!!

I will post pics when i undertake this project. Althought i dont think it will be too hard considering my car is relatively clean underneath anyhow. It still has the paint pen markings on some of the parts from the factory.
    Dan O

2000 Camaro SS M6

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to note is that any really harsh chemicals may do damage to boots, bushings, etc, and cause them to wear out more quickly than if you had just left the gunk alone. If you`re not showing the car (like Richt obviously is) I would be more inclined to just soap and water what you can and leave the rest alone...

On that note, I did try to clean my rear wheel wells with some APC and a *light* scrubbing and found that the sprayed on protectant (dark greasy gunk, may have been rubberized at some time) came off in places, revealing a painted surface underneath (looked textured like sound-deadening material).

The "gunk" is really not that strong, as I can almost wipe it (loaded with dirt) away with my finger. Any thoughts on re-coating these areas? Strip it and respray?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d suggest a good degreaser, followed by AIO or Poorboy`s Pro Polish. If you really want to put the time in, follow either of these up with Klasse SG or Poorboy`s EX-P+. Those should work on nearly all of the undercarriage surfaces. As for my own personal car, I don`t keep it nearly that spic n span, I just spray it with Gunk and pressure wash it out up on ramps every coupla months, or more often in the winter.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by animes2k

..the sprayed on protectant (dark greasy gunk, may have been rubberized at some time) came off in places, revealing a painted surface underneath (looked textured like sound-deadening material).

The "gunk" is really not that strong, as I can almost wipe it (loaded with dirt) away with my finger. Any thoughts on re-coating these areas? Strip it and respray?

Yeah, I`d finish removing whatever isn`t firmly adhered and respray it. There are a scad of different companies making various undercoatings, you might try Eastwood (sorry no link handy). Shining up the exposed painted areas is nice on a pampered car, but on something that gets used/abused I`d rather have the undercoating on there lest the paint get abraded away (requiring repainting).

Related to this whole thing, here in Ohio the daily drivers get exposed to all sorts of nastiness, especially in the winter. I keep them clean and detailed (but nothing extreme or show quality) and I never have any problems. Once you get the undercarriage clean, it`s easy to keep it that way if you give it a quick once-over every time you wash. I just roll along on a creeper using a long handled BHB and some EFHI (or diluted wheel cleaner or P21s TAW). The lower cars get jacked up for access (I keep a pair of floorjacks and stands in the wash area just for this).

One good thing about having the undercarriage/boots/etc. clean is that you can spot any need for service right away before it becomes more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldnt worry to much about using Autoglym Engine cleaner on it, its not strong chemically, just like strong car soap. It wont hurt platics or rubbers.

The back end off the car as you see in the pics there is normally covered by the spare wheel, I had left all the protective underseal on coating on, some people do remove this, like others have said this is silly for any car that may see bad weather.

The undersealed area`s can be removed with tar and adhesive remover if required so I made sure just to use soapy water in these parts on my car.

Thread Information