Post Thanks / Like
    Well I got this in the mail this week.

And I already have my first car lined up. It`s a 2000 Dodge Darango, in rather horrible condition. And it`s black which I`ve come to understand it can be somewhat of a hassle... Now there are prolly tons of theards on this, and I did try searching, but I just get lost in all of the acronmys and whatnot. Here are some picture of the poor paint, don`t mind the dirtiness, I`ll be washing it tomorrow.. Didn`t have time today.

Swirl Marks like this everywhere (thanks to the good kids at the car wash down the street who tend to dry the cars with the worst looking rags I`ve ever seen.)

Now here the question, and keep in mind this is my first time with the PC. What products should I use with what pads? It`s getting pretty hot and humid here in GA, and I somewhat understand that has an impact on the process of what do to. I plan on washing and claying, but after that I`m clueless. I don`t want to leave my Mom`s car all hazy and worse off, and at the same time I do not want to destroy the paint. So lead me in the right direction Paragons of detailing, and hopefully I can start this as a side job.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will not destroy the paint with the PC. What products do you have?

Poorboys are my first choice since the weather is hot.

I`d get ssr2.5, orange or yellow pads) ssr1 white pad.

After that it is up to you. Either a sealant + wax conbo, or just one.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only things I have as of now are the white pad it came with and some PS21 Paint Cleanser and Wax.
    E36 Estoril Blue BMW ///M3

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the excel green and yellow pads, and pick up a heavier swirl remover (such as Meg`s #83) and something lighter (such as Meg`s #80). Then you can finish by hand with the P21s wax. The stock PC pad does not cut it, and the P21s will not remove the swirling.
    94` Toyota Supra

Red on black leather.

Turbo of course..

Post Thanks / Like
    I also recomend excel detail. I would get the Propel Sampler kit. It comes with one of each of their pads for about $50. You could read this thread for more info on the different pads. http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...ghlight=propel

As far as products I really recomend the poorboys line as they are very easy to use and sun friendly. I`d go with POORBOYS SSR 2.5 and SSR 1.

You can get all that here. http://exceldetail.com/

If you need help decifering the acryonyms you find on this site go here.

http://www.autopia.org/display.php?f...yms.htm&menu=8

I also strongly recomend downloading the Autopia Guide to Deatailing. It`s an e-book that`s available free thanks to David Bynon. It`s filled with a lot of great info.

http://www.autopia.org/display.php?f...oks.htm&menu=4

Good luck and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by krsjuan

I also recomend excel detail. I would get the Propel Sampler kit. It comes with one of each of their pads for about $50. You could read this thread for more info on the different pads. http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...ghlight=propel

As far as products I really recomend the poorboys line as they are very easy to use and sun friendly. I`d go with POORBOYS SSR 2.5 and SSR 1.

You can get all that here. http://exceldetail.com/

:up

The SSRs are great polishes, and the Propel pads are great as well.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don`t have a time limit detailing the truck, my advice is to use a fine compound. 3m Fine Compound is a great product and will take away alot of those swirls. When you use it, it will leave some hazing but you will see that the swirls are noticibly different. Then I would top it off with Meguires #9 (Their swirl mark remover) That will finish off the rest of the swirls.

I know that this may seem tedious to others, but its the combo that I use, and it works very well.:xyxthumbs Then just top it off with your choice of sealant or wax or both.
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...SizeNagaro.jpg

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP "Supercharged"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by whiteg240

Then I would top it off with Meguires #9 (Their swirl mark remover) That will finish off the rest of the swirls.

I was a user of #9 for awhile and then started reading about #80 Speed Glaze and Scottwax said once I used it, I would toss my #9. Well, I bought some#80 and but didn`t toss my #9 (to cheap to throw anything away), but I have never looked back as Speed Glaze leaves the finish in awesome shape and much deeper and shinnier than #9. Give it a try and you`ll be surprised. Well worth the investment of $13.00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zerrus- Welcome to Autopia!

I second the recommendation for #80 (after you use a more aggressive product first). It works well on black vehicles that are, uhm, still imperfect after the more aggressive polishing. I`d top it with a wax, not a sealant, to further accomodate any remaining imperfections (sealants make flaws jump out at you).

Plan on spending some time on this, it`s a rather slow process.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d two-step it, starting with a fairly aggressive compound (I use Menzerna PG, but a lot of guys like SSR3), and finishing with Menzerna FPII or SSR2. This may be a little aggressive for what you`ll want to use on a personal car, but its what I use when I`m working for money (cause time is money, and making 5 passes with SSR2 SUCKS).
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Thread Information