Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. I am Albert from the Bay Area CA. My old login name was Ramolap. I`m still pretty new to detailing and haven`t tried any heavy swirl removal. Has anyone tried swirl removal without using a buffer? What are your techniques, products, and what tips do you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    what type of "buffer??"

if you are talking about a PC 7424 then i can help you out.

i bought yelow, white and gray pads from properautocare.com

i have used menzerna IP with the yellow, and menzerna FP with the white pad. i have had great results and there is almost no way to harm the paint.

just be sure to seal / wax after you polish :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    DJ Azmatik- Doing it by hand will work *IF* the paint isn`t too hard and you`re willing to really work at it. I dunno...IMO if you can afford a car and other detailing supplies you can probably also afford a PC or something similar.

If you want to try by hand you might oughta try to do a single panel at a time. Products such as 1Z PP and Meg`s #80 work OK by hand, and you can use stuff like 3M PI-III RC (05933) and MG (05937) too. And plenty of people like Meg`s Scratch-X.

Doing it by hand is sure is a lot of work though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Its only realistic to do by hand if you have a lot more time and patience than I do. The way I look at it, your time is worth atleast 10 bucks an hour (and probably way more, cause most car guys do pretty well), and a PC is only 150 bucks or so.

I guarantee that you will save a minimum of 5 hours the first time you buff it out, and I usually buff my car out 2-3 times a year (although you don`t go through 6 months of QEWing salt and sand, so you`ll probably end up doing it less often). I figure that by PC has saved me well over 100 hours so far over doing work by hand (I`m a pro though).

On the other hand, if you don`t get the PC you won`t need a gym membership, so thats a money saver too.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to get the swirls out of my uncle`s black 1993 Maxima. I wanted to practice on it before I try any other cars. The paint is very shiny and in good condition but there are many swirl marks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh, swirls on a black car. Your best bet by hand is going to be to hide them with Vanilla Moose or a similar glaze.. Its just not realistic to remove them all without a PC. If you`re gonna PC it, start with Poorboy`s SSR2.5 or Menzerna IP, then finish with SSR1/FPII.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    After the feedback and previous thinking I`m planning to buy a PC 7424. What type of pads would work best with the PB SSR 2.5 and PB SSR1?
    My Two Dees "DJ and Detail"

Sound Tribe DJs

Bay Area California

Professional Sound, Lighting, and Entertainment

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest getting a PC, don`t get one of thoes $15 orbital as the bonnets mixed with swrill removers might introduce its own swrills. What I find to work out by hand is to use Scratch-X with a microfiber towel or pad and rub it it all directions until its about gone. Do a small area at a time 1ftx1ft. It will take lots of time and you`ll get a good work out. To me the time saved and better results are worth the $150 to go buy a PC. Go see Meguiarsonline.com as they have articles on doing it by hand.
    Eddie

Not a fanatic, but a racer who like his rides clean.

Thread Information