Post Thanks / Like
    This Saturday I began the process of removing some light swirl marks and hazing that I put in my 04 Phantom Black Metallic GTO a few weeks earlier while using some 3mSMR by hand.

To start off, I washed the car with the Zaino car wash. I did not clay because I had clayed the whole car a few weeks prior to this. After the Zaino wash I tried using some Sonus Paintworks Cleanser on a section of my hood to see if it would be enough to tackle the small swirls and hazing. I used my PC and a blue pad to do this, and to my delight it worked. So I spent the next several hours going over the whole car with the blue pad and Sonus cleanser. After this I went over the car with alcahol/water solution and dried. Then pulled the car out in the sunlight for a final inspection. Being happy with the results so far, I decided to go on to the next step.

At this point I used some Zaino Z8 detail spray on the whole car. Then I applied a coat of Z5. Then the Z8 again followed by a coat of Z2. Then another Z8 then Z2 followed by a final Z8. At this point it was around 6 pm so the noon sunlight I was working under before was gone. The car looked great, good depth, and a nice smooth swirl free finish.

That night I went into town to see the car under some different lighting. I went to McDonalds to see it under the flourescent lighting that showed all the haziness before, and to my delight the car looked perfect.

The next day I went outside to admire my work in the daylight. Everything looked great, but upon closer inspection the metallic flake in my car was the brightest silver color I have seen in my life. Before all of this the metallic flake appeared to be a goldish bronzish color. What gives here? Am I going crazy?

Cliffnotes:

Black car with gold metallic flake before detail.

Sonus paintworks cleanser, Z8, Z5, Z8, Z2, Z8, Z2, Z8

Black car with silver metallic flake after detail

Post Thanks / Like
    And now you know what people are talking about when a product makes a paint "Pop"

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by splattj

And now you know what people are talking about when a product makes a paint "Pop"

How would that make the metallic flake appear to change color?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, diffirent LSPs can have slightly different effects on the look that a flake has. On my dad`s gold Camry, when I switched from NXT to FK1 Pink, the color seemed to lighten significantly, and the flake was less noticeable IMHO. Even my less-than-autopian family noticed.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    slammin,

What was your LSP previously?

NOTE: One of the main feature`s beyond durability is that Zaino Z2 claims to be 99.9% optically perfect. Therefore, Zaino doesn`t distort your paint color in any way.

Some LSP have a oilyness etc. to them tends to deepen/wet the look of your paint. That`s not a bad thing, if that is the look you are after. LSP can definitely change the look of your paint.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by paco

slammin,

What was your LSP previously?

NOTE: One of the main feature`s beyond durability is that Zaino Z2 claims to be 99.9% optically perfect. Therefore, Zaino doesn`t distort your paint color in any way.

Some LSP have a oilyness etc. to them tends to deepen/wet the look of your paint. That`s not a bad thing, if that is the look you are after. LSP can definitely change the look of your paint.

Paco

Prior to this I had 2 layers of Z5 and one layer of Z2 with a coat of the normal Zaino detail spray in between each.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think there is anything in Zaino that would change bronze metalic to silver. Maybe it was the polish or cleansing lotion?
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    I had similar results with my Dark Shadow Gray Metallic paint. After applying Clearkote VM and Poorboys EX-P the metallic in the paint came alive. Looked totally different.
    2004 DSG Lightning

Post Thanks / Like
    :showpics

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had a similar experience with the Zaino on the "BlkTac05".When I first bought my Tacoma I brought her home and bonded with her by giving my new bundle of joy the Klasse Twins/P21S combo. Toyota`s "Black Sand Pearl" color is pretty interesting looking. With the Klasse Twins, the "BlkTac" had a shiny black, silvery look. When topped with the P21S it took a bit of that silvery sheen away. The metalic flakes, I thought, were just silver. Fast forward 2 months.........I stripped the Klasse Twins/P21S combo & went with 3 coats of Z5/ZFX then followed with 3 coats of Z2 Pro/ZFX. ( all with Z6 in between layers ) I topped the Z2 pro with Z8 & was blown away! I discovered that I had both silver & gold metalic flakes inside the Black paint. With Zaino.....the metalic "POP" was amazing!! The Zaino brought the metalic flakes to the forefront of the paint. Now, Zaino didn`t change the color of the flakes on the "BlkTac", it simply enhanced them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tasty

:showpics

I will try to get some pics this weekend.

Thread Information