Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I have been lurking on the forum for nearly a year now and have learned quite a bit. The question I have is that currently the most aggressive product I have used for swirl removal has been 3M Machine Glaze. Although this product has worked well for me on the black and red cars I have worked on getting out most of the swirls the finish isn`t quite "perfect". After many details and about a quarter of the bottle I`m still not sure how much "cut" this product has. I still havent quite mastered how much to work it in for easy product removal and optimum results. I was thinking of moving on to Meguairs DACP however I was wondering how big a jump is that in cutting power as compared to the MG. Also what in the 3M line of products is close to DACP in cutting action. Keep in mind the cars I need this for are relatively new and well kept its just the dark colors still get swirls that need occasional remedy. Also my pad of choice for swirl removal has been the Lake Country Orange Pad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is link to product aggresiveness

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...r&pagenumber=5

I would not think you would get very much swirl or defect removal with the 3M glaze as it`s only listed a level 2. You can figure it out yourself but Megs #80 or maybe the 3M`s listed under level 3 would be good for you. #80 is raved about on this board and it is easy to use.
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Post Thanks / Like
    The PI III MG is a good product, but if you want something with more cut try the PI III RC (Rubbing Compound) followed by the MG to remove any hazing if needed. Those 3M twins are my favorite "go to" polishes.

The 3m MG and RC is about equal to Meg`s #80 (Speed Glaze) and #83 (DACP), although I find the 3M combo to be a bit more aggressive than the Meg`s (#80 & 83).

I would also step down to a polish (white) pad for the final application to reduce any possible hazing.

Here are two other product lists that are a bit more up-to-date and accurate:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...threadid=36208

http://dano.pocketrubbish.com/detail...oductchart.htm
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    First, that list that pdsterns linked is absolutely wrong. Their is another one going around that is much more accurate. Machine Glaze is not a 2 it`s more like a 4.

I can usually get a ready to wax finish with Machine Glaze. I work the product untill almost gone but not untill it dusts with a polishing pad and the finish looks great. If I feel it needs some more finishing to get it perfect I follow with Menzrena Final Polish II. The next least abrasive product in the 3M line after Machine Glaze is 3M Swirl Mark Remover. You could try that to finish up but many here do not like it. If you can`t get a ready to wax finish with Machine Glaze it shouldn`t take much to get there. Any light polish should do it.

You asked what 3M product is similar in cut to DACP. The answer is Finesse it II Machine Polish/ Finishing Material. IMO it`s more abrasive than DACP. I can remove defects in one application with this that would take 2 or 3 applications of DACP but it`s the closest thing in 3M`s line. Perfect It III Rubbing Compound is much more abrasive than DACP IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stevet

First, that list that pdsterns linked is absolutely wrong. Their is another one going around that is much more accurate. Machine Glaze is not a 2 it`s more like a 4.

Whoops, I new it wasn`t perfect but I never saw a later one. Somebody please post it up. Maybe we could get a mod to remove out dated one to avoid future confusion.
    Peter Sterns

72 Porsche 911E Targa, 85 Audi 4000S Quattro, 03 Honda Element AWD, 04 Honda CRV AWD, 06 Scion Tc

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by pdsterns

Whoops, I new it wasn`t perfect but I never saw a later one. Somebody please post it up.........
    I posted links to it in my reply (the post before stevet`s).

The first link is the original (accurate) list, and the second one is in a different format that uses that info and also includes a pad chart.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Eliot Ness

but if you want something with more cut try the PI III RC (Rubbing Compound) followed by the MG to remove any hazing if needed. Those 3M twins are my favorite "go to" polishes.

:up :xyxthumbs

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blackcaraddict

:up :xyxthumbs
    PIII-RC + PIIIMG
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, PI-III RC + PI-III MG for me too. I`ll follow up with 1z Pro MP on the S8, and on *very* soft paint I might use something extra mild for the last polishing step, but the two PI-III products are all most people will ever need.

IMO if you can`t remove defects with the PI-III RC (05933) it`s time to step up to a rotary, but that`s assuming you used the 05933 with 4" pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a nice site that has the 3M line as well as other detailing vendors on sale for nice prices. Not too sure about the shipping.

Here is the PI-III RC for $19.99!

http://www.levineautoparts.com/3mperiiirubc.html
    Seth

Thread Information