Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been reading various websites, as I`m new to detailing, and I`ve read that the best process goes wash, clay, wash, paint cleaner, polish, sealant.

I`ve read that I should do this roughly every four months (varying sources say different amounts, but the norm seems to be three times a year).

But then I read that I should wash my car every week.

But surely I shouldn`t go through all those steps every week.

So is detailing different from washing?

Should I go through that process once every couple of months, and then just wash it with normal wash soap in between?

Or should I do all steps every time I wash my car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Detailing= detailing.

Washing= washing.

Detail (clay, polish, etc) atleast twice per year.

Rewax or seal as needed (maybe monthly).

Wash with shampoo weekly.
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    YES washing is different from detailing. Washing is just that...washing the car.

Detailing is the whole process of claying, polishing, cleaning the paint, and protecting with a sealant and/or wax.

I wash my car at least twice per week. Full detailing every few months.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I always tell our clients that, we are a detailing company, not a car washing company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome.

Two weeks ago, when I got my new car, I had no idea about this kind of stuff. I thought just washing and waxing was good enough. But then as I started to acquire more knowledge, I somehow forgot that just washing IS good enough, as long as I detail every so often as well.

One more question . . .

I`m going to go with a sealant rather than a wax. I`ve heard that because I sealant bonds to the paint, it`s important to use the claybar and all the other stuff before applying a sealant because if I don`t claybar, etc. before a sealant, I lock all the contaminants in and make them part of the paint`s finish.

But is the same true with a wax? Can I apply a wax when I do a routine wash, or will this also lock in all the contaminants?

Is it best to just wash (with just soap/shampoo) weekly, and forget the wax altogether?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just read around on the forums to get an understanding of this stuff. Washing removes dirt, and light contaminants from your paint. Wax provides a lasting (duration just depends) layer of protection for your paint that a wash cannot provide. Like the folks above said, washing is just washing and it does nothing beyond that.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Sun Blinded Detailer Mochamanz1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Big Mike PT

I`ve heard that because I sealant bonds to the paint, it`s important to use the claybar and all the other stuff before applying a sealant because if I don`t claybar, etc. before a sealant, I lock all the contaminants in and make them part of the paint`s finish.

But is the same true with a wax? Can I apply a wax when I do a routine wash, or will this also lock in all the contaminants?

No matter what you do, if you do not clean your paint, you encapsulate any contaminants present when you apply anything over them..... Wax is a softer encapsulation layer than polymer sealant and thats about all the story...

You always need to protect your paint from direct contact with the elements, no matter how often you wash. Clean paint, unwaxed/unsealed is totally unprotected.
    Prep is everything .. The rest is the window looking in....

Thread Information