Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    There have been many threads on how to properly clean your pads. We all have our ways in which we believe works best. As much as I love detailing, I hate washing pads. The time of soaking and washing with your hands and Dawn or whatever cleaner you use is a major pain in the rear.

So I decided why not use the washing machine. I have read DONÃâ‚â„T wash your pads. Well I decided to any way. Zero mess, clean hands, drop in, walk away, come back and theyÃâ‚â„re completely clean and nearly dry. Takes all of 3 minutes total of your time.

Test Subjects:

2 LC 7.5Ãâ‚Â Orange pads with dry PB SSR2.5

3 LC 6.5Ãâ‚Â White pads with dry VM

3 yellow foam applicators with dry Blitz and #16

1 terry applicator with dry 303 protectant.

The Orange pads are brand new and the white pads have been used numerous times over 2 years. So youÃâ‚â„ll see they are no longer bright white and have some slight fraying.

Cleaning Agents:

Liquid Tide Free

Simple Green Ãâ‚“ I buy the gallon size at Home Depot for @ $8

Heinz Distilled White Vinegar (not photographed) - I buy the 2 gallon size at Costco for @ $2.50

Test Subjects in machine:

Process:

Place pads in machine

Select delicate setting

Select Small load size

Select Warm Wash & Warm Rinse setting

Start machine

Place in Liquid Tide with a measurement for a small load

Place in Simple Green at around a half or two thirds of a cup

Place Vinegar in the fabric softener cup. Just clean it first to remove any residue

Close and let it work its magic

When finished, just dry in the same fashion as you always have. Note: the pads may be slightly deformed. DonÃâ‚â„t panic! You can gently massage back into place and they expand back to their original setting. ItÃâ‚â„s no big deal!

The pads are deep cleaned with all the gummed up polish and wax removed. They smell fresh with all the detergent long removed. The foam pores on the pad and the backing maintain their integrity. There is no separation of the backing. The Velcro still works fine. If you have any concerns, you can always run the machine again on a gentle setting with no detergent as an extra rinse precaution. Or you can run it under the faucet manually.

Next post will be of the finished subjects.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the finished subjects:

Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    spilchy, u went and bought new pads. thats not very nice... Those couldn`t be the same pads...

Haha, jk. Great work. I`m going to try that too.

Great write up, should be stickied for sure. ill let a mod know if you dont.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some pads (Sonus SFX, for example) are very sensitive to being washed in a machine and require a delicate`s mesh bag in addition to the gentle cycle. Otherwise, using a washing marine works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    How often do you guys wash your pads??? I might use 2 different pads (polish and finishing) during a detail. Do most of you wash them right after using them or do you wait until you have a bunch to wash.

I have been washing mine right afterwards and I really don`t look forward to soaking in Dawn and cleaning them.

Using the wash machine looks like a great alternative....
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple white pads and two foam applicators sat for a week like that before I washed, and the two orange ones, one foam applicator and one white one sat since Sunday morning (Mothers Day).

Like TW85 HHI mentioned, those mesh bags will work too for protecting anything you feel is delicate.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Very good post Seth :xyxthumbs

Last week I decided to try the washing machine for my pads. Pretty much the same process as you used except I used some Micro-Restore and Castrol APC in the wash. Similar results as you obtained...... much easier than doing them by hand!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Wash frequency depends on when I wash my microfiber towels. Sometimes the pads are washed within hours of use and other times, they sit for 5+ days.

Post Thanks / Like
    The results look great and look very clean. Looks very promising but I`ll stick with Dawn and water for now. I guess giving it the occasional machine wash wouldn`t be that harmful.
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only ever tried washing pads in a front-load washer at the laundromat (I was concerned the agitator on a top-loader would chew up the pads). I`ve got several delicates bags I can use; I`ll have to give the top-loader at my apartment a try someday.

Thanks for the write-up,

Tort

Post Thanks / Like
    The LC pads seem too delicate for even the delicate cycle on the washing machine. The things start tearing when I even bring em near a backing plate.

I`ve just been soaking them overnight in a bucket w/ 2 gallons of water and a capful of Sonus Der Wunder Wasche. They come out "pretty clean", but not near as clean as the washing machine seems to do. The water is pretty cloudy afterwards, so I guess it`s doing something. I`d rather be a little safer than risk having those LC pads fall apart in the washing machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont you get wax/glaze or w/e gummed in the tub?

`Cause, even if you were washing on a 5 gallon bucket, you get stain or gummed on the side. So I can`t imagine whats like inside the washer machine tub.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s been quite a while since I`ve used the washing machine to wash my pads.

I need to try it again. Plus, I`ve never used any APC in the machine with them. I`ll have to try that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by klnyc

Dont you get wax/glaze or w/e gummed in the tub?

`Cause, even if you were washing on a 5 gallon bucket, you get stain or gummed on the side. So I can`t imagine whats like inside the washer machine tub.

Believe me, I`m a clean freak and a germ freak!

If the tub had residue from waxes I`d know AND my mother too!

It`s clean as a whistle! I guess the agitation and spinning coupled with the cleaners whicks it off. Plus the tub is not plastic like a bucket in which residue adheres to.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash my pads in the washing machine after soaking them in Dawn and water for 24 hours. I find it loosens up all the crap in the pad nicely before the washer gets its turn. I just use laundry detergent as well and they come out squeaky clean.

Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information