Thread: Fading plastic

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Autopia!

I am a newbie here so I`m still a little new to detailing.

My car:

I drive a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I really really like that car. It does need a paint job and I knew it was going to need one when I first got it in 2003. It had 65K miles on it so it was a good buy.

My past detailing:

I usually use a claybar with the three step Meguires Wax/Polish and I loved the results. It made that nasty painy look good.

My main concern:

If you have seen a Grand Cherokee Laredo, you`ll notice the two tone statement. I love that gray plastic color, especially with my forest green paint. As I said above, the Jeep will get painted this summer. I want to make the plastic look brand new. It`s been through over ten years of sun and abuse (its great in tight parking spots). Is there any product that I could use to restore the color. I don`t care if I have to reapply every so often. I`ve used Stoner`s More Shine, Less Time but that`s expensive seeing as how much plastic is on my Jeep and it doesn`t last. Back to Black looks great, until it rains. I`ve heard something called Black Again or Forever Black. Any suggestions?

Carlo
    Jeep owner no more....

2006 Acura TL. Dark Blue/Tan

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not familiar with the Jeep but are we talking about painted plastic, if so I would start with something like Klasse AIO before trying an abrasive polish

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not painted, its just plastic?

Jeep owner no more....

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had good luck with Poorboy`s Trim Restorer on my `81 Benz. I have not tried any others though. I had some black exterior plastic that was almost white from age and it turned it black. They are still glossy black after plenty of rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 1Z Tiefenpfleger on all my exterior plastic trim. I have a 13 year-old Nissan, and I use it on the rear window molding, front "grill" trim, door handle molding and others, and I can tell you that it protects very well, AND restores the "black" beautifully, which lasts for at least 3 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Forever Black a few times on hard plastic with success.

http://www.topoftheline.com/bumtrimrec.html

Other members said it did not work well on soft rubber which I had not try yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best product in my opinion is Autoglym Bumber Shine, it also lasts a very long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forever Black has never worked well for me. Can`t even give it away since I`d feel bad doing that. Was terrible for textured, grainy plastic.

Mother`s Back to Black worked pretty well but doesn`t last very long. Like you said, it tends to get washed away by rain or your next wash.

So far, what works for me is Magic Eraser to remove any wax/sealant residue and then Poorboy`s Trim Restore.

Careful with the Magic Eraser though if yourplastic trim has any sort of outer coating. I ran across trim on an RSX the other day that had sort of a sheen to it that I later found out was a thin veneer covering over the real plastic which had a matte finish to it. Magic eraser was kind of abrasive and you could tell where I had rubbed. It still looked good when TR was applied but it was noticeably different up close.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    04 ACURA TL SSM/Ebony/Navi
    PICS!! http://homepage.mac.com/maecrispy/PhotoAlbum7.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you looking for a long term fix or a quick one. Products like Poorboys Trim Restore , Adams VTR are quick fixes . They aren`t going to last and will require continuous appilations .

AI`s ETRII kit is dye that will give you back that factory black look that will last years. GR40 also makes a dye kit .

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. I see. I`d rather apply products than change all of the panels. I think Forever Black might make the trim too black. The panels are naturally gray but you can tell where it has started to fade.

Do ya`ll know anymore about Black Again. Supposedly, you apply it, let the trim sit in the sun and it removes all the oils and other things that have been absorbed by the plastic.

OH, i forgot, Thanks for all the responses!
    Jeep owner no more....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Rollman

Are you looking for a long term fix or a quick one. Products like Poorboys Trim Restore , Adams VTR are quick fixes . They aren`t going to last and will require continuous appilations .

AI`s ETRII kit is dye that will give you back that factory black look that will last years. GR40 also makes a dye kit .

A kit like this? I guess the dark gray is what I want. What would your professional opinion be? Dark or light gray? The Jeep is going in for a paint job this summer so this kit wouldn`t be much of a hassle.
    Jeep owner no more....

Post Thanks / Like
    zaino or klasse AIO.........yes, i know it is plastic

303 or armorall for a weekly solution if you wish
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0

A kit like this? I guess the dark gray is what I want. What would your professional opinion be? Dark or light gray? The Jeep is going in for a paint job this summer so this kit wouldn`t be much of a hassle.

The nice thing with the dye kit is it comes with a toner . What the toner allows you to do is match the color you have or are looking to get . You could go with just black or add toner to make shades of gray . Do what you like the best but do it after you get the jeep painted.

Thread Information