Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a red `94 Saab 900 back in late December. Its paint is in just ok condition, but needs some care pretty badly. I`ve always taken care of cars well enough that it`s always been more of "maintenance" as far as the outside appearance goes, rather than "recovery"...so I`m very new to this realm. A few questions:

1)There are a few spots of peeling clear coat. Nothing major, yet (2 or 3 small spots in inconspicuous places)...but needless to say I have to stop the bleeding. The only thing I know to do is use some touch-up paint and keep it waxed really well, but I`m all ears as far as other ideas go!

2)The paint looks very nice after a wash and wax, but if anyone could recommend particularly exceptional products to use, I would greatly appreciate it!

3)In reading several threads, I`ve seen references to "clay"...I`m not familiar with this...should I be using this?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the clear is peeling, there is really nothing that can be done. The best you can do is put some good protection on the entire car to prevent further damage. A sealant with good UV protection would be best. Of course the paint would have to be cleaned/polished first.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for responding!

There isn`t any type of adhesive-like stuff I could put on there that would keep the edges of the peel bound more to the paint?

So you recommend:

-wash

-polish

-sealant

What products would you recommend for each step? Would polish be a caranuba wax, or something more specific? Is sealant something I can do myself?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you own a polisher? Check out Topoftheline.com. I really like the Hi-Temp professional line polishes. Cheap and very effective. As for a UV sealant, Optimum Spray Wax is great. It supposedly replaces the UV inhibitors in the clearcoat. I like it because it is so easy to use. As far as glueing down the edges of the peeling clearcoat, I would not attempt it.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t own a polisher. As a rookie, should I be thinking about getting one?

What do you think of the Swirl Remover Light Cut? Any reasons not to use it?

I`ve used Meguiar`s quick spray wax in the past, but it seemed like it really didn`t last very long. Is Optimum better on that front? Does easier application pretty much mean less durability, and it`s a tradeoff?

Any experience with Meguiar`s ScratchX?

Post Thanks / Like
    You could use duct tape as an adhesive!!!!!! Just kidding.

ScratchX is an awesome OTC product. You can use it by hand with great results. Check out Meguiarsonline.com. Search for ScratchX and Mike Phillips wrote a great article on it.

Good luck and welcome!!!
    Trent Byrd

Down N` Dirty Auto Detailing-Owner

Perfection is my standard!

Post Thanks / Like
    You could try touch up paint - colored or clear to try and stop the peeling. If you plan on doing some paint polishing, do it after this step and before the final wax (let the paint dry over night).

Post Thanks / Like
    If your talking about the hi-temp light cut, it is a great product. The Optimum Spray wax has excellent durability in my opinion. No experience with scratch-x.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Its very suprising your NG900 actaully has clearcoat on it. Saab did not start using a clear until around 98 to early 99 on all their cars. The only earlier cars that had a clear coat were metallic finishes and they were very rare in 94 on Saabs.

So either you got a metallic paint or it was repainted by the previous owner...Can you post up a picture of what your experiencing...I had the same problem on my 98 900SE Convertible but it was black. I have never had the problem on any of my other 7 Saabs though.

Some people have states they have sanded down with like an 1800 grit and evened out the area and then coated it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the help so far!

Salty, if I use clear touchup paint, is there a brand anyone would recommend over another? Do you mean to clear coat before polish, or polish before I touch up the clear?

I can definitely post a picture, although it may take me a bit (I may have to do it with a disposable or my cell phone unfortunately).

The paint isn`t metallic, but in my completely non-expert judgement, it looks like it`s clear coat that`s peeling. There`s one area about the size of a quarter that`s completely off, and another that is maybe the size of a few kernels of corn where it`s bubbling (the bubble is white/yellowish). It`s looking more and more like this car was repainted (something I`d sort of guessed was the case when I was waxing a couple weekends ago). Is this something I could find out by running a carfax report?

Post Thanks / Like
    PMR are you sure it is a not a 3M clear tape. Saab installed these pieces of tape near wheel wells and areas that were prone to chips. After time they begin to bubble up and dirt and such gets in behind and makes them turn yellowish.

I had the problem on my 97 9000 Aero but I peeled off the tape after it began to look unattractive. From what you are describing it sounds the same.

Here is a picture of my 97 9000 and you will have to look closely but on the left side wheel arch towards the bottom you can see the bubble I am talking about. Also you can see more of the tape along the lower body that runs below the doors. It is a diaganol piece of tape and it somewhat looks like a scratch.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s near the driver`s side rear view mirror (close to being right underneath it)...so I would guess they wouldn`t put some type of tape there? (But I could be wrong)

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm ya its very unlikely to be up there...do it looks like its peeling clearcoat then

Thread Information