Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your favorite "prepsol" alternative?

what is this stuff for

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    what is this stuff for
    This product was used to remove any trace of grease, oil, oils from hands, etc., off of panels so that the next stage of spraying would have the best opportunity to adhere to the panel...

I used Dupont Y3919S Prep-Sol to wipe down panels before and after sanding, before priming, after wet block sanding the primered areas with a guidecoat, and again right before painting, followed with a light Tack Rag final wipe off in the Booth...

After Dupont Y3919S went away, there was Dupont 3900S First Kleen, a similar product but cleaned up for new EPA regs..

You should be able to find something similar at an Auto Body and Paint Supply Shop... Places like Sherwin-Williams have Auto Body and Paint Supply Shops..

Somewhere along the line over 10+ years ago, some people started using Isopropyl Alcohol straight or cut with water to do the final clean up before any LSP, Sealant, Coating, etc., was applied to finish polished paintwork..

I personally never liked isopropyl alcohol because it caused some paintwork to slightly soften.. It was also not friendly with some rubber and vinyl trim, etc.,..

I get it that the idea was to get the paintwork as clean as possible before applying your final LSP and all, but I never liked the idea of using something that no Paint Shop I ever worked in would ever consider using in the first place to clean up paint...

Not really sure there is a need to use these chemicals in the Detailing World today with the advent of things like Einszett Top Inspection, Car Pro Eraser, etc...

I have used both Top Inspection and Eraser for final wipe down before Coating paintwork and never had an issue with the coating being able to completely adhere to the finish..

Just make sure to keep hands off anything that you are going to wax, seal, coat, etc., and it will be fine..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    This product was used to remove any trace of grease, oil, oils from hands, etc., off of panels so that the next stage of spraying would have the best opportunity to adhere to the panel...

I used Dupont Y3919S Prep-Sol to wipe down panels before and after sanding, before priming, after wet block sanding the primered areas with a guidecoat, and again right before painting, followed with a light Tack Rag final wipe off in the Booth...

After Dupont Y3919S went away, there was Dupont 3900S First Kleen, a similar product but cleaned up for new EPA regs..

You should be able to find something similar at an Auto Body and Paint Supply Shop... Places like Sherwin-Williams have Auto Body and Paint Supply Shops..

Somewhere along the line over 10+ years ago, some people started using Isopropyl Alcohol straight or cut with water to do the final clean up before any LSP, Sealant, Coating, etc., was applied to finish polished paintwork..

I personally never liked isopropyl alcohol because it caused some paintwork to slightly soften.. It was also not friendly with some rubber and vinyl trim, etc.,..

I get it that the idea was to get the paintwork as clean as possible before applying your final LSP and all, but I never liked the idea of using something that no Paint Shop I ever worked in would ever consider using in the first place to clean up paint...

Not really sure there is a need to use these chemicals in the Detailing World today with the advent of things like Einszett Top Inspection, Car Pro Eraser, etc...

I have used both Top Inspection and Eraser for final wipe down before Coating paintwork and never had an issue with the coating being able to completely adhere to the finish..

Just make sure to keep hands off anything that you are going to wax, seal, coat, etc., and it will be fine..
    Dan F
    Ok thanks. I thought that`s what it was for but wasn`t for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I`m using this mostly for little spray paint projects I do with my son. I find the product I have (Prep All) softens paints and it`s starting to drive me a bit crazy. I also had an old gallon of a BASF product that never caused this issue...but that stuff is gone and was very old. I`d like to find an alternate; I`m not using much and prefer not to buy a gallon.
    Cars: bringing people together

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=tom p.;2076974]Thanks, guys! Yeah, I`m using this mostly for little spray paint projects I do with my son. I find the product I have (Prep All) softens paints and it`s starting to drive me a bit crazy. I also had an old gallon of a BASF product that never caused this issue...but that stuff is gone and was very old. I`d like to find an alternate;

Tom P -
    What type of paint are you spraying ?
    If its a rattle can then it will always be very fragile until its dry and cured...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, yeah, it`s just Rustoleum etc...
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Prep all is readily available at advance auto, by the gallon https://www.amazon.com/Kleanstrip-GS.../dp/B008QDSVPE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information