Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I effectively hide some marring and swirl marks by putting a carnuba over a sealant such as SG or FMJ. Or does carnuba only hide some swirling if it is applied directly. Anyone use a carnuba over AIO. I was hoping for the protection of a sealant with the hiding characteristics of a carnuba.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The only way to effectively hide some marring & swirls is to polish them out, in my opinion. As for the AIO........YES!! By all means, use a carnauba over the AIO. It makes for a nice combo!

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a product with fillers to hide swirls, such as Meguiars Show Car Glaze.

You can put that on top of your sealant or wax, but it won`t last long. Or you can put it on before the sealant or wax and it`ll last a while.

There are limits to it`s hiding abilities, of course...
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Autopians DONT hide:hide:
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Some carnaubas seem to hide swirl marks a bit, but glazes are typically much more effective in this area.

If you have FMJ, give final touch glaze a try. It seems to hide swirls quite well underneath FMJ, but I think it compromises the durability a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t answer your question about a carnauba topper over a sealant, but the best combination I have found at hiding minor swirls and marring is One Grand Omega Glaze topped with One Grand Blitz Wax. Ofcourse you`ll need to polish out the surface first (if done properly with the proper products, should clean up your swirls :p )

The AIO (not a swirl remover) topped with the combo I just mentioned should look real nice!

You can try FTG under your FMJ. It`s a nice glaze. A little tough to work with but has good defect hiding abilities.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I agree that surface imperfections should be removed by polishing, in some instances they are â€Ëœdeepâ€â„¢ enough that there removal would compromise the clear coat; in that case the only alternative is to â€Ëœhideâ€â„¢ them with the fillers contained in a glaze

Glaze- or finessing is a step used by professionals and show car owners to obtain maximum light reflection and/or liquidity. Glazes are typically polishes without any cleaning ability. They will "wet" the surface with oils to maximize surface gloss. As they contain fillers they are also used to hide surface defects that are so deep (if you can â€Ëœfeelâ€â„¢ the scratch with a fingernail) that removal with an abrasive polish might compromise the clear coat. Glazing is done after polishing but before applying the final wax or sealant. Glazing pads are softer than polishing pads, typically having no cleaning or cutting ability.

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    The One Grand Glaze & Blitz is great at hiding swirls. The best sealent for hiding (very) minor swirls is Autoglym

Post Thanks / Like
    When using a Glaze w/ Klasse twins, do you put the Glaze on after the AIO or before it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely use the glaze after the AIO, as if you use the AIO after the glaze, it will simply remove any oils already on the surface.
    Thanks for Reading my Rant

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 57_300SL

When using a Glaze w/ Klasse twins, do you put the Glaze on after the AIO or before it?
    Klasse AIO /SG and then a Glaze

Bonding:

Carnauba wax will bond to a cross-linked polymer (Klasse); conversely if a polymer is applied on top of Carnauba wax (Glaze) the cross-linking / bonding may be compromised.

Although I would not state categorically that a product that is formulated with oils will abort the cross- linking or bonding process of a polymer just that the process may not be as complete, and its strength and durability maybe affected.

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found vanilla moose to have a remarkable ability to hide swirls. Unfortunately topping it with anything tends to remove the make-up, so my LSP is usually just VM on my black car. Swirls will accumulate on a black daily driver, no matter how carefully you wash.

Wolfgang sealant seems to affect the VM glazing the least out of all toppers i`ve tried (including klasse sg, s100, souveran, natty`s, #16, #26).

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT,

I have been using #83,#80, NXTx2 and P21s. I now want to strip this down using #80, then AIO (x2?) and finally Souveran. Should I be swaping the #80 and AIO? There are quite a few swirls that I need to hide.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Lowejackson

The One Grand Glaze & Blitz is great at hiding swirls. The best sealent for hiding (very) minor swirls is Autoglym

I don`t know about the Autoglym (though as they`ve started selling the whole line in my area recently, I plan to try it soon!), L.J. is right about the One Grand combo.

Hey, Lowejackson, is it pronounced "AutoGLIME", or "AutoGLEEM"? :think:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information