Post Thanks / Like
    Whats up guys. I got this site from offtopic and loving it. There is a galaxy of information here to learn. Im about to get a PC and some products to get started. I plan to start out small to test it out.. doing my camaro, dads bmw, sisters ****ed up corolla, and a civic.

Here is the thing i wonder about. MY dads BMW has orange peal. It came that way brand new from a dealer.. i swear. I would of stopped him but i wasnt there when he purchase it and it doesnt bother him. Question is can i still go upon detailing it? Will the OP cause any problems in the process?

Also, the Civic has a couple of rock chips on it from the highway. Its not noticeable but if you look close up, you can see some little black marks on the front bumper and some on the hood. Any way to get rid of those?

Now my camaro.. where do i start. Im just going to get rid of the front seats completely.. its cracking in more than one place, its soft but hard as hell in some places, its turning brownish near the threading. Although, the backseat looks brand new. There are wear marks on top of the steering wheel and where i place my elbow on the door. I think its leather or vinyl possibly. Can i save it? Im thinking of taking the headlights out and buffings it down to get rid of the yellow. Possibly spraying it with a clearcoat. It also has a curb mark on the rear left bumper which isnt that bad but is a eye sore!

How long do you think this will take each car? Time really isnt a problem as i can do just 1 car a day.

Any help would greatly be appreciate for this newbie. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    You`d be very hard pressed to find a car nowadays without orange peel. It won`t cause any problems during the detailing process.

Rock chips can be repaired with touchup paint. If you want to fix them, that`s the only way to do it.

You might be able to fix the marks on the vinyl/leather. Get a vinyl or leather cleaner and see if the marks go away. It could just be a stain from the oils in your skin.

Your headlights could just have a haze on the outside of the plastic. Try a plastic polish with a microfiber towel or cotton towel before you take them off.

The time involved in a detail varies a LOT. It all depends on how fast you work, how many steps you perform, how well you perform each step, etc...

:welcome to Autopia!
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks White95Max!

The seats on the camaro isnt just worn. It has some tears and is crusting a little. The past owner was this very sweaty fat lady so that might have to do with it. Plus, i just want new, more comfortable seats.

What do you recomment for the wear on the steering wheel and the door panel where i rest my arms when driving? Can i stain it?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia soysaucial

You can get a leather treatment and a dye from leatherique.com

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am unsure of your skill level but if you are real brave and the OP bothers you that much you can wet sand it level with 2000/3000 grit paper and then rebuff it up. Alot of people say you shouldn`t do this with newer cars since they don`t have much clear coat so I would be very conservative/careful.

Thread Information